[sci.military] counterbattery

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (01/28/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

jl3p+@andrew.cmu.edu (James Ting Lui) writes:
| -How effective has the counterbattery artillery been?  I would think
| that in todays hi-tech era, you could put the counterbattery on auto &
| have a salvo launched before the enemy salvo landed.

  Alas, it only helps if your artillery has the same range as the other
guy's.  In the Gulf the Iraqui artillery has between 10km and 10mi extra
range over ``ours''. They're using Gerald Bull's ``base bleed'' shells.
We're not.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) (02/04/91)

From: hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo)

>   Alas, it only helps if your artillery has the same range as the other
> guy's.  In the Gulf the Iraqui artillery has between 10km and 10mi extra
> range over ``ours''. They're using Gerald Bull's ``base bleed'' shells.
> We're not.

At least 10 or 12 years ago, the South Africans were modifying their
artillery with rocket shells to obtain a large increase in range. They
did this after being pasted with long range Russian guns in Angola, and
were determined that it wouldn't happen again. Are we so stupid as to
have no rocket assisted capability for our artillery? This is hardly
new technology, yet the only talk of using rocket shells was as a
potential augmentation for 16 inch shells on the Iowa, Wisconsin
etc. As I recall, however, this was never done.

                                                  Larry Mayo

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (02/12/91)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1991Feb4.044710.9877@cbnews.att.com> hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) writes:

>Are we so stupid as to
>have no rocket assisted capability for our artillery?

I read in the local paper this week that U.S. arty does have rocket assist,
but I don't remember if it was in the 8" variety or 155MM also.

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)