[sci.military] loose threads

wilkinson@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-C) (02/07/91)

From:     Peter Wilkinson (CCL-C) <wilkinson@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
A recent enquiry concerning the survival rate of pilots in
modern air combat prompted me to have another look at "Air
War South Atlantic" by J. Ethell and A. Price. In 1985, the
authors conducted a two day seminar here, titled "A Critique
of the Falklands War". It was excellent food for thought and
I highly recommend it to any groups who can entice them to
repeat the performance. The book served as the basis for the
lectures, and in perusing the appendices, I gleaned the
following data on losses from both sides:

Shot down by:  Missiles            Guns
        |-----------------------------------
Ejected |      14                  7

Killed  |      21                  7*

* Includes at least two Argentinian "own goals".

"Missiles" includes Sidewinder(9L), Rapier, Blowpipe, Seacat,
           Sea Dart, Sea Wolf, & Roland.

"Guns" includes 20, 30, 35, & 40mm, as well as small arms
       fire.

These data include jets and high performance turbo-props, but
NOT helicopters. From the available information, it seems
that everyone who ejected managed to survive (though some
were badly hurt).

On another subject, someone posted the "fact" that Iraq has
base-bleed artillery projectiles and can therefore out-range
our guns.
Well........base bleed is basically just a much cheaper way
of achieving the same results as rocket assist. And since we
do have HERA, I would say the reach is probably about even.
One advantage we do have is the quality of the package once
it gets there. Does the term DPICM mean anything to anybody
out there? (Dual Purpose, Improved Conventional Munition) In
a 155 this round ejects its cargo(88 little shaped charge
grenades) at a predetermined height above the target, which
then rain down covering an area roughly the size of a
football field.
NASTY!
Iraq has nothing even approaching this.
Then there's Copperhead, which has been discussed here
recently. Too bad SADARM (Sense And Destroy ARMor) isn't
ready yet.

                                      Pete

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (02/09/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1991Feb7.013344.1181@cbnews.att.com> wilkinson@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-C) writes:

>On another subject, someone posted the "fact" that Iraq has
>base-bleed artillery projectiles and can therefore out-range
>our guns.
>Well........base bleed is basically just a much cheaper way
>of achieving the same results as rocket assist. And since we

Not at all!  Base bleed simply cancels out the base drag by
burning a low grade propellant and allowing the gas to occupy
the area of low pressure behind the shell's blunt end. This
area of low pressure causes drag (and probably turbulence).
So the projectile is aerodynamically shaped at both ends, but
no extra propulsion has been added.

Rocket propelled/assisted shells have more propulsion than
the normal shell, and a greatly longer range. They also have
a greatly reduced accuracy, even if (as is usual) the rockets
give some form of spin to the shell.
The accuracy of base bleed shells is not diminished, in fact
if anything, it's probably increased from the loss of drag and
(probably) turbulence. Of course, since the shell is travelling
further, it is more likely to be affected by wind etc over its
trajectory.

>Iraq has nothing even approaching this.

But do you/we have any divisional arty which can shoot to the
ranges of the South African designed 155mm? (~45km, or thereabouts)
Wasn't Dr G Bull involved with the development of these field
pieces? And is the phenomenal range (for the calibre) due to
the propellant, the charge, the projectile or the gun?
--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz

joel@uunet.UU.NET (Joel Upchurch) (02/12/91)

From: mailrus!uflorida!peora.sdc.ccur.com!ucf-cs!joel@uunet.UU.NET (Joel Upchurch)

> On another subject, someone posted the "fact" that Iraq has
> base-bleed artillery projectiles and can therefore out-range
> our guns.
> Well........base bleed is basically just a much cheaper way
> of achieving the same results as rocket assist. And since we
> do have HERA, I would say the reach is probably about even.

The stats in front of me say:

South African G5 155mm gun with base bleed projectile    --- 37km
USA M198 155mm gun with rocket assisted projectile       --- 30km
--
Joel Upchurch/Upchurch Computer Consulting/718 Galsworthy/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel (407) 859-0982