[sci.military] M17 gas mask filters

lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCOA1::LENOCHS) (02/06/91)

From: "DRCOA1::LENOCHS" <lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>

    Will Martin sez:
    >Much was made of the M-17's obsolete filter
    >design, which requires the mask be removed to replace the filter
    >elements buried in the cheeks of the mask. However, the actual
    >replacement process was never illustrated.

    >I happen to have an M-17 mask (found it at a garage sale!), and I can
    >feel the filters inside the mask but cannot for the life of me figure
    >out how they come out for replacement. Can someone post or e-mail me
    >the instructions for filter removal and replacement on the M-17?

    Well, it's quite a job, Will, but here goes.........

    1 - On the outside of the mask, remove the cloth-covered rings on each
        side of the mask (under the eye pieces).  This exposes the filter
        inlet tubes.  [BTW, the color indicates what version filter you've
        got...I don't remember the colors].

    2 - On the inside of the mask, under the eye pieces, you'll notice two
        black circles on a flap.  Take the flap off the pins.

    3 -	Now push the metal circles exposed in step 1 back into the mask.

    4 -	Open the flap (from step 2) and reach in.  Grasp the filter FIRMLY
        and pull (pry, cuss, haul, cuss, etc) the filter out by griping the
        air inlet tube.  Haul that puppy out however you can.

    5 -	To install new filters, reverse process.

    As you can see, it's not an easy process, and absolutely **impossible**
    to do in a contaminated environment.

    Please note that the M17 is used for 'casual' contamination; i.e.,
    field use.  When I was working in a chemical weapon escort team, we
    used a much different system.  We used the old M3 (??) mask [the one
    with the canister on the side] and a full butyl rubber suit, head to
    toe.

    As for older mask, they are probably ineffective due to dry rot.

    Hope this helped as its all from memories 10+ years old!!

    ||        	      		       		      			 ||
    ||  An ORI [an Air Force Operational Readiness Inspection] is an     ||
    ||  event where you stop doing what you were doing so that you can   ||
    ||  simulate doing what you were doing to someone else, so that the  ||
    ||  inspector will know that you can simulate doing what you were    ||
    ||  doing just as well as you were doing it.      			 ||
    ||	      	      		       		      			 ||

    Loyd M. Enochs (ex-USAF) - Dynamics Research Corporation - Andover, MA

sporay@adm.brl.mil (Ralph Sporay) (02/07/91)

From: Ralph Sporay <sporay@adm.brl.mil>

In article <1991Feb6.031034.20172@cbnews.att.com>, lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCOA1::LENOCHS) writes:

     >As you can see, it's not an easy process, and absolutely **impossible**
     >to do in a contaminated environment.

      I sure hope so. The only time you would want to change your filters
      in a contaminated environment would be to get a direct PCS move to
      Arlington National Cemetery. Contrary to popular belief the M-40
      (or any other protective mask) does not allow you protection when
      changing the filter in a contaminated environment.

      sporay@brl.mil

      "nuke him till he glows then use his ass as a runway light"

rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) (02/12/91)

From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)

In article <1991Feb11.044723.29353@cbnews.att.com> larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
+
+Negative, you will be in Arlington if you do not know how to properly change
+your filters. All military personell are trained on this procedute when
+assigned to a high threat area, or the possiblility of assignment. You
+basically hold your breath until you change the filters and then clear the
+mask with the breath you are holding.

    This is incorrect, whether on the part of military briefers
    or the poster, if you are talking about the M-17 gas mask and not the
    other one mentioned (M-40?).

    Not even Tarzan could hold his breath for the time it takes to remove and
    replace the filters and their associated flaps & snaps.
--
    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

    "The intelligent man is one who has successfully fulfilled many
     accomplishments, and is yet willing to learn more." - Ed Parker

sporay@adm.brl.mil (Ralph Sporay) (02/12/91)

From: Ralph Sporay <sporay@adm.brl.mil>

In article <1991Feb11.044723.29353@cbnews.att.com>, larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:

> basically hold your breath until you change the filters and then clear the
> mask with the breath you are holding.

Then basically quote the manual. I'm sure soldiers at the Chemical School
would like to see you demonstrate this procedure in the live agent chamber.
I'd even drive the 782 miles to Ft. McClellan to watch.

sporay@brl.mil

NBC abbr 1: no body cares (before Iraq's invasion of Kuwait)
2: no better challenge (after Iraq's invasion of Kuwait)