[sci.military] 6 recoiless on a track?

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) (02/11/91)

From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>

I need some information on a weapon used in the 'Nam.  It was
an armored, tracked vehicle with six recoiless rifles, (75mm
or 105mm, not sure which) three to a side.

I'd like the designator of the vehicle, and which units used
it (I'm interested in the period from '70 -'71).  I think this
unit also used the same rifle setup on a jeep.

E-mail will be answered if VM let's me (I HATE this mcahine).

[mod.note:  It's the M50 Ontos.  I'll leave it to someone else
to provide full details. - Bill ]

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Larry W. Jewell                    JEWELLLW@PURDUE.VM.CC

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/12/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
>
> I need some information on a weapon used in the 'Nam.  It was
> an armored, tracked vehicle with six recoiless rifles, (75mm
> or 105mm, not sure which) three to a side.
>
> I'd like the designator of the vehicle, and which units used
> it (I'm interested in the period from '70 -'71).  I think this
> unit also used the same rifle setup on a jeep.
>

> [mod.note:  It's the M50 Ontos.  I'll leave it to someone else
> to provide full details. - Bill ]

  Your talking about the Ontos - with 6 106mm Recoiless Rifles mounted on
  it.  Used by the Marines as a direct support anti-tank weapon.  It was
  mounted on a light tracked vehicle - the same platform as the old SPAT.
  (Self-propelled Light Anti-Tank Gun) [I think I saw some of these with
  the Marines on Okinawa (circa '63)].  I believe the Ontos was used in
  Vietnam, too (Danang?).

  The design flaw on the Ontos was kind of comical - 6x 106mm Rifles could
  put out some awesome firepower - and the vehicle gave some crew protection.
  But, someone had to get outside and reload each rifle!!!

  The 106mmRR jeep-mounted was the basic anti-tank weapon in the army for
  a long time.  It was a very good weapon and accurate.  I fired the 106
  a few times at Ft Benning.  The gun had a .50 spotting rifle with tracer
  rounds - coaxialy mounted with the main gun - the 'trigger' was actually
  the 'hub' of the elevation wheel on the side.  The gunner sat on the left
  side - lay the sight crosshairs on the target - pull out to fire the
  spotter gun - when the tracer hit the target - push in to fire the main
  gun - if you were 'good' the whole sequence took less than one second =
  bam!  BAM!!.  And then get the hell out - the recoil(less) backblast
  produced a huge white blast of smoke - nice target.

  The 106's went away with the advent of the anti-tank guided missiles.
  Still, they were fun to fire.

  mike schmitt