[sci.military] SNIPER SPECS

brucef@EBay.Sun.COM (Bruce Frost) (02/09/91)

From: brucef@EBay.Sun.COM (Bruce Frost)
You all don't know me but a friend gave
me this email and asked if I could answer the question about
what equipment is currently used by U.S. Snipers in the gulf.
Here you GO!!

The USMC uses a Remington 40xc action wich is very cose to the
700. The 40x as it is called is a competition version of the
700-all that means is the specs are much tighter. The USMC
Armorers the turn a .850 stainless steal barrel in .308
to this 40x action. Its is then epoxy-glass bedded to a McMillian
Epoxyglass stock. The stock is impregnated with forrest green
and earth red and brown camo. the weapon is then mounted with an
Unertal 10 power scope made just for the USMC. The scope is
capable of piont-of-aim out to 1000 yrds. The Ammo that was used
use to be Lake city M118 Match ball now it is called M118 special-
ball. both have the same ballistics performance 2550 fps with
a 173 gr boattail ball bullet. The USMC rifle is the M40-A1.

The Army uses currently two different rifles. the first is the
M21. It is an ultra-Match M-14 with an ART Leatherwood 3x9
(ART=automatic ranging telescope). it shoots the same amo
as the USMC. the second and newest is the M24. it is a remington
40x=700 but with a different stock configeration. A big difference
between the M40 and the M24 is that the Marinecorps literally makes
the M40 for themselfs and the Army get a complete rifle from
Remington.

I know all this stuff because one of my best friends is in the
USMC and is a Sniper and is in the gulf right now. I also happen
to be a total shooting buff. I have a version the M40 from McMillian
called the M40-A2. (not a real USMC unfortunatly) But Quit bad none
the less. If any of you have questions please call.

Bruce Frost
408 276 7079

gwh%tornado.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (02/13/91)

From: gwh%tornado.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

In article <1991Feb9.033310.4527@cbnews.att.com> brucef@EBay.Sun.COM (Bruce Frost) writes:
>The Army uses currently two different rifles. the first is the
>M21. It is an ultra-Match M-14 with an ART Leatherwood 3x9
>(ART=automatic ranging telescope). it shoots the same amo
>as the USMC. the second and newest is the M24. it is a remington
>40x=700 but with a different stock configeration. A big difference
>between the M40 and the M24 is that the Marinecorps literally makes
>the M40 for themselfs and the Army get a complete rifle from
>Remington.

The M24 is a whole lot more than a gussied-up M40.  Although it uses the basic
action (same modified Mauser that just about every bolt action does, the
Remington 700 variation), it's got a couple of distinct differences.

One; it's got interchangeable removable barrels.  It comes in three cartridge
	chamberings: .308 Winchester ( 7.62 Nato ), .300 Winchester Magnum,
	and a supressed bbl.
Two: it's got a very different stock.
Three: it costs $5000 each.

BTW, the Special Forces people (SEALS etc.) use all sorts of Sniper Rifles,
for different missions.  They do employ sharpshooters with M21s as well as
long-range snipers with M40s and M24s.

  == George William Herbert ==   * UNIX ate my last .sig, Waiting for Plan 9! *
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  #########  I do Naval Architecture, ##########
===+++ Anywhere, my price +++=== # Spacecraft Design, UNIX Systems Consulting #
 ==  gwh@soda.berkeley.edu   ==  # RPG writing/development, and lots of other #
  ==  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu  ==   ## random stuff, of course.  I'm a JOAT 8-) ##