[sci.military] Drones in Iraq?

jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) (02/04/91)

From: jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson)

I seems to remember that Israel used remotely piloted aircraft to good
effect during their last war. Does the "good guy alliance" have a drone
capability? I haven't heard of their use in Iraq, what is the effect
range of such things, and what can they do besides reconaissance?

Dick Jackson

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (02/06/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From: jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson)
>

>I seems to remember that Israel used remotely piloted aircraft to good
>effect during their last war. Does the "good guy alliance" have a drone
>capability? I haven't heard of their use in Iraq, what is the effect
>range of such things, and what can they do besides reconaissance?

Yes, the Israelis used drones very effectively in the Yom Kippur War
in 1973.  I believe one of the configurations was sending up a drone
with a radar reflector on it (perhaps even an IFF transmitter) and
flying it into Syrian airspace.  When the Syrian SAM radars lit up
to track the "ingressing fighter," other drones intercepted the signals
and relayed the SAM posits to Israeli arty.  So much for Syrian air
defenses....

As for the present conflagration, I read this morning that drones
were used by Big Mo to guide her Yugo-sized projectiles onto the
command bunkers in Kuwait.  After impact, the drones provided damage
assessment to allied personnel.

-shane

               |\/\/\/\/|
               |        |        "Big guns, dude!"
               |        |
               |    (o o)       /
               c        _)     /
               /______\

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.edu (John H. Kim) (02/07/91)

From: "John H. Kim" <jokim@jarthur.Claremont.edu>

In article <1991Feb4.063356.20176@cbnews.att.com> jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) writes:

>I seems to remember that Israel used remotely piloted aircraft to good
>effect during their last war. Does the "good guy alliance" have a drone
>capability? I haven't heard of their use in Iraq, what is the effect
>range of such things, and what can they do besides reconaissance?

I saw some Gulf war video last night of a drone landing on what
looked like a carrier deck.  It was almost comical to see something
that small landing on a huge deck.

Everything you wanted to know about missiles and drones of all types
is put out in an annual issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology.
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/07/91)

From: jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy)
In article <1991Feb6.030000.18666@cbnews.att.com> deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

   Yes, the Israelis used drones very effectively in the Yom Kippur War
   in 1973.

I believe this was the 1982 Peace-for-Galilee war.  Are the current
U.S. Navy drones made in Israel?  I'm sure the press briefings would
consider it untactful to mention the fact - especially if manufacturer's
representatives were on hand to advise on maintenance.  What other
Israeli manufactured equipment is in use?

herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick) (02/09/91)

From: abvax!iccgcc.DNET!herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick)

In article <1991Feb7.020420.4262@cbnews.att.com>, jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:
>  Are the current
> U.S. Navy drones made in Israel?
About two years ago I saw two issues of a "controlled circulation" (means
free to qualified subscribers) magazine about defense R & D.  There was
a man with a regular column who was scathing in his comparison of the
Israeli and Pentagon approaches to remotely piloted aircraft.

He wrote that the Israelis went to a model manufacturer and bought
model airplanes with beefed up payloads at a few hundred dollars
each.  They then added a few thousand dollars worth of electronics
to have remotely piloted war plane.

On the other hand, according to this writer, the US approach was to
go to the manufacturers of current manned aircraft to get scaled
down models at a few million dollars a pop.

I doubt we are using their drones directly.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) (02/12/91)

From: lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard)
In article <1991Feb9.033759.4862@cbnews.att.com> abvax!iccgcc.DNET!herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick) writes:

>He wrote that the Israelis went to a model manufacturer and bought
>model airplanes with beefed up payloads at a few hundred dollars
>each.  They then added a few thousand dollars worth of electronics
>to have remotely piloted war plane.

>I doubt we are using their drones directly.

I heard the Wisconsin's drone referred to as a Israeli Pioneer.  For some
reason, the Navy chose not to put this in their press releases. :-)
It certainly looks, and sounds (buzzzzz.....) like a scaled up model
airplane, and the landing system is refreshingly plain.  I have a feeling
that any US system would have something more elaborate than flying into
a net.

--
Laura Burchard  lhb6v@virginia.edu  lhb6v@virginia.bitnet  #inc <std.disclaimer>
The fact is that one side thinks that the profits to be won outweigh the risks

cac@druco.ATT.COM (Curtis A. Conkey) (02/12/91)

From: cac@druco.ATT.COM (Curtis A. Conkey)

in article <1991Feb9.033759.4862@cbnews.att.com<, abvax!iccgcc.DNET!herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick) says:

< He wrote that the Israelis went to a model manufacturer and bought
< model airplanes with beefed up payloads at a few hundred dollars
< each.  They then added a few thousand dollars worth of electronics
< to have remotely piloted war plane.

< On the other hand, according to this writer, the US approach was to
< go to the manufacturers of current manned aircraft to get scaled
< down models at a few million dollars a pop.

I remember seeing a TV (PBS??) show some years back that related the
same experience. The Israelis developed a real basic aircraft at
nominal cost while the US spent 10's of millions of dollars trying
to develop a Cadillac version. From the report they weren't having much
luck.

Curtis

LNF@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (02/13/91)

From: <LNF@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
On TV the other night they showed a drone being landed in a net on one
of the battlewagons.

Larry

kpt@uunet.UU.NET (Kevin Tyson) (02/14/91)

From: ibism!condor!kpt@uunet.UU.NET (Kevin Tyson)
|> < He wrote that the Israelis went to a model manufacturer and bought
|> < model airplanes with beefed up payloads at a few hundred dollars
|> < each.  They then added a few thousand dollars worth of electronics
|> < to have remotely piloted war plane.
|>
|> < On the other hand, according to this writer, the US approach was to
|> < go to the manufacturers of current manned aircraft to get scaled
|> < down models at a few million dollars a pop.

You are referring, I believe, to the Aquilla system.  The Marines however have
recently aquired a system very similar to the Israeli system.  It is a highly
stable, easy to fly model airplane outfitted with a CCD camera and RF modem.
It displays it's pictures on an STD bus 80286 using a VGA card.  Truly
designed for operation by Americans, to land this craft one presses the button
marked land, which cut's the power and causes the craft to glide to the
ground.  I think the entire system is manufactured in the US with a unit price
of approximately $5000.

--
Kevin P. Tyson		Phone:  212-657-5928	Fax:    212-825-8607
IISA c/o Citibank	E-Mail: uunet!ibism!kpt