[sci.military] Bull 155mm Howitzer

ron@mlfarm.com (Ronald Florence) (02/14/91)

From: ron@mlfarm.com (Ronald Florence)

According to popular journalistic sources, the Gerry Bull-designed
155mm and 210mm howitzers -- which are used by the Iraqi artillery --
have greater range and accuracy than any other weapon of comparable
caliber, including the artillery available to U.S. and other Coalition
forces.  How much better are these bull-designed artillery pieces, and
what accounts for their superiority?
--

Ronald Florence			ron@mlfarm.com

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (02/15/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

ron@mlfarm.com (Ronald Florence) writes:
[...]  How much better are these bull-designed artillery pieces, and
| what accounts for their superiority?

  The improvement is between 10km and 10mi (:-)), based on public
quotes in a country which changed to the metric system right around
that time.
  The means of improving the range is called ``base bleed''.  A conventional
shell has a flat or boat-shaped base (tail), which produces drag and
turbulence through air flowing chaotically into the vacuum behind the shell.
  A base-bleed shell has a quite small, slow-burning rocket motor in its
base, which fills the vacuum with exhaust gases.  This substantially
smoothes out the flow in the immediate vicinity of the shell's base, and
prevents turbulence from trying to steer the shell.  It obviously reduces
the drag, too, making it practical to try for targets out at or past the
maximum range of a conventional shell.

  Please note that this is quite different from a rocket-assisted shell: they
have a significant amount of the volume taken up with a motor, and the
accuracy of the shell is approximately that of the equivalent unguided
rocket: **not** very good.

--dave
sources: Toronto Globe and Mail (via a leaky memory) and a CBC special
  last night.
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/15/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: ron@mlfarm.com (Ronald Florence)
>
> According to popular journalistic sources, the Gerry Bull-designed
> 155mm and 210mm howitzers -- which are used by the Iraqi artillery --
> have greater range and accuracy than any other weapon of comparable
> caliber, including the artillery available to U.S. and other Coalition
> forces.  How much better are these bull-designed artillery pieces, and
> what accounts for their superiority?

  US:

  M102 105mm Towed.  Max Range - 11.5km  15km w/RAP round.
                     Standard DS artillery for airborne, airmobile, and light.

  M198 155mm Towed.  Max Range - 18km    30km w/RAP round.
                     Standard GS artillery for airbonre, airmobilve, and light.

  M109A3 155mm SP.   Max Range - 14.6km w/charge 7    24km w/RAP round
                                 18.0km w/charge 8
                     Standard DS artillery for mechanized and armor divisions.

  M110A2 8" SP.      Max Range - 30km w/RAP round
                     Standard GS artillery for mech and armor divisions.

  MLRS (SP).        12 round launcher - one at a time or ripple fire.
                     Max Range - 30+ km.
                     Primary mission - counterfire and suppression of
                                       airdefense (SEAD).
                     Each Divarty has a battery of MLRS.

  ATACMS (SP).       Army Tactical Missile System.  Designed to be a
                     replacement of the Lance.  ATACMS is fired from the
                     same platform system as the MLRS. 'Army Times' reports a
                     battery of ATACMS deployed with the 1st Infantry
                     Division.
                     (note:  I was on the Boeing Aerospace ATACMS proposal
                      team - we lost out to LTV - who makes the MLRS).

  Lance Missile.     Fired from a tracked self-propelled carrier
                     Range - approx 75km
                     Corps GS artillery.  There were 5 Lance battalions in
                     Europe and 2 in CONUS.  No longer in production - LTV
                     was the contractor.

  Anyone know why the US Army took the 175mm SP gun out of the inventory?

  I don't think we should concern ourselves so much with "ranges" or being
  "outranged" as with the sum total of the "Fire Support System".  How
  responsive the system is to "place steel on target" to support manuever
  is the key.  Coordinated and integrated "fires" with A-10 and helo gunships
  and missile/tube artillery will be the deciding factor.

  But, Dave Emory could probably explain the Fire Support System better than
  I - but I think, generally, that our "system" will beat theirs.

  mike schmitt

                       "FIRE MISSION, OVER!"