[sci.military] Warrent vs. regular officers.

cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson) (02/09/91)

From: cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson)
Could someone tell the distiction between warrent officers and "regular"
officers?

Thanks...

Barry...

--
Barry Johnson                            cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu
Consulting & Technical Services     Standard disclaimer about me, my

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/12/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson)
> Could someone tell the distiction between warrent officers and "regular"
> officers?

  Simple distinction:  Officers are commissioned.  Warrant Officers are
  appointed.  In rank order Warrants are below second lieutenants and
  'above' sergeants major.

  In theory, Warrants are 'technicians'.  Most Warrants are helicoptor
  pilots, maintenance officers, intelligence (order of battle, interrogators,
  photo interpreters, counterintelligence), and Military Police
  investigators and criminal investigators (CID).

  Almost all come up through the enlisted ranks - the majority put in for
  warrant appointment when they are Staff Sergeants (E6) with about 10
  years service.  Helicoptor pilots are a little different - they go through
  "Warrant Officer Candidate" flight school after joining the service.

  Warrants cannot 'command' but they can supervise other technicians.
  They wear the basic uniform of an officer (silver bar with black squares,
  black stripe on pants and sleeve), they are saluted by enlisted people,
  addressed as 'sir' by subordinates and 'mister' by seniors.  Their
  service cap has gold braid and they wear a unique warrant officer insignia -
  eagle surrounded by a wreath - as a cap device and collar insignia.

  Warrant Officer 1 (WO1)  "Wobbly One"   Silver bar - one black square
  Chief Warrant Officer 2 (CWO2) "Chief"  Silver bar - two black squares
  Chief Warrant Officer 3 (CWO3) "Chief"  Silver bar - three black squares
  Chief Warrant Officer 4 (CWO4) "Chief"  Silver bar - four black squares

  [did they ever institute the Master Chief Warrant 5?????)

  -----

  Once, when I promoted one of my photo interpreter warrants to CWO4, with
  28 years of army service, I commented - "Gee, Chief, one more promotion
  you'll be a second lieutenant!!!"    I thought he was going to kill me.

  ----

  Other services had warrants in technical fields but I heard a while back
  that they are phasing them out - anybody add anything about Air Force,
  Marine, Navy warrant officers?

  mike schmitt

jln@elaine37.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel) (02/13/91)

From: jln@elaine37.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel)
In article <1991Feb12.015621.11055@cbnews.att.com> bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
>  Other services had warrants in technical fields but I heard a while back
>  that they are phasing them out - anybody add anything about Air Force,
>  Marine, Navy warrant officers?

My cousin is a WO-2 in the Marine Corps. He tells me that they have 4 levels
of warrant officer: WO-1 through WO-4. As you describe, he was appointed to
WO-1 from Staff Sergeant. He is a navigation instructor for KC-130s.

The warrant officer ranks are small and getting smaller (I believe that
he told me the Corps is no longer appointing warrant officers). There are
a couple of advantages to being a warrant officer. First, the pay is
similar to officers pay, with WO-4 approaching colonels pay. Second,
my cousin reports that there is less politics within the warrant officers ranks
than in either the non-com or officers ranks.  Perhaps it comes from
there being less warrant officers and from the warrant officers
typically being assigned to more specialized duties.

--
Jared L. Nedzel
e-mail: nedzel@cive.stanford.edu

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (02/13/91)

From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU

In article <1991Feb12.015621.11055@cbnews.att.com> bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>> ...] the distiction between warrent officers and "regular" officers?
>
>  Simple distinction:  Officers are commissioned.  Warrant Officers are
>  appointed.  In rank order Warrants are below second lieutenants and
>  'above' sergeants major.

Officially ^^^, in reality the ranks run something like:
general...major, Sgt Major/Master Gunnery Sgt, Gunner (Warrant Officers in the
Marines are ALWAYS called Gunner, even though there are only 3 'Gunners'
-One Per Artillery Regt- in the Corps), Capt, 1st Lt, Master/First Sgt, 2nd Lt,
remaining enlisted.

>  In theory, Warrants are 'technicians'.  Most Warrants are helicoptor
>  pilots, [...] investigators (CID).
>
>  Almost all come up through the enlisted ranks - the majority put in for
>  warrant appointment when they are Staff Sergeants (E6) with about 10
>  years service.  Helicoptor pilots are a little different - they go through
>  "Warrant Officer Candidate" flight school after joining the service.

Marine Corps pilots are all officers (I think that the last enlisted pilot
retired in the early 70's), I knew a Gunnery Sgt that was a C-130 Navigator
back in 68/69 or there abouts.  Typically Marine Warrant officers are E-7/8
when they are appointed, but I knew 2 E-5s that applied for and were accepted
into warrant rank, both from the 2 shop.

>  Warrants cannot 'command' but they can supervise other technicians.
>  They wear the [...] wreath - as a cap device and collar insignia.

In the Marine Corps Warrant officers are address by all and sundry as Gunner.
Marine Gunners wear a special device on their collar, a 'flaming onion'.

>  Warrant Officer 1 (WO1)  "Wobbly One"   Silver bar - one black square
>[...]
>  Chief Warrant Officer 4 (CWO4) "Chief"  Silver bar - four black squares

I seem to recall that there are silver/gold bars with 1/2 Red squares (Black
for the Army, blue for Navy/AF) WO-1 Gold 1sq, W0-2 Gold 2 Sq, WO3 silver 1 Sq
W04- Silver 2 Sq.
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw  Internet:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU
"Non, je ne regrette rien"--1st Para, LE 1963

ptm@jake.tmc.edu (Peter T. Murphy) (02/14/91)

From: ptm@jake.tmc.edu (Peter T. Murphy)
    The most current instruction that I've seen in the Navy concerning
Warrents notes
that there are no W-1s being made in the Navy at this time.  People go
from E6 to CWO-2.

   The insignia of warrent officers differs between the braches of
service.  A recent
poster offered a Hypercard stack of rank insignia, which shows the
differences in	warrent insignia.

  The best part of being a warrent is that you have most of the
privileges of a commission and most of the responsibility of an enlisted.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/15/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: jln@elaine37.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel)

> ..........................................................There are
> a couple of advantages to being a warrant officer. First, the pay is
> similar to officers pay, with WO-4 approaching colonels pay.

  Not really - here's some examples:

  WO2 over 10 years service  = $1988 monthly pay
  Captain over 10            = $2866
  WO4 over 20                = $2979
  Colonel over 20            = $4584

  For comparison:

  "Junior" Grades:   Private  $ 753
                     WO1      $1288
           Second Lieutenant  $1444

  "Senior" Grades:   General +28   =  $8441
                     WO4     +28   =  $3318
              Sergeant Major +28   =  $2910

  [anyone interested I can post the Active Duty Military Pay Table - but
   it's all based on grade and time-in-service]

  No, I am not a recruiter...... :-)

  mike schmitt

dmason@ecs.umass.edu (02/15/91)

From: dmason@ecs.umass.edu
In article <1991Feb12.015621.11055@cbnews.att.com>, bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
> From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>
>> From: cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson)
>> Could someone tell the distiction between warrent officers and "regular"
>> officers?
>
>   In rank order Warrants are below second lieutenants and
>   above sargeants major.

     (much correct information deleted)

      Ummm, as far as I was told, through out my training at Beautiful Fort
       Benning, Ga ITC, Warrant Officers are equal to regular officers as shown
       below:

       Chief Warrant Officer 4 == Major O-4
       Chief Warrant Officer 3 == Captain 0-3
       Chief Warrant Officer 2 == 2nd Lieutenant
      Then again, we don't have WO's in a Rifle Company in the Infantry, so
         that's one less person to salute.

    Don Mason/ College of Engineering/  University of Massachusetts/Amherst

gjw@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Garry J. Wardrope) (02/15/91)

From: "Mr Garry J. Wardrope" <gjw@cs.glasgow.ac.uk>

Officers and Rates follow two compleatly different career structures. One does
not naturally lead on to the other.
As far a the Royal Navy goes when you reach the rank of Chief Petty Officer
there was the rate of Fleet Chief Petty Officer now known as Warrent Officer
(it always was equivalent to army warrent officer ) Few people reach this
position, only the very best. They command a great deal of respect from
officers and men alike. There is of course the possability of being
commisioned and put on the Special Duty List (SD) Pay on the SD list is
higher than other lists. This of course also involves a change in lifestiles
moving from ones mess to the wardroom - not favoured by all.

The way it actually works is realy quite complex, its one of these things that
has evolved and is full of tradition.

To try and sumarise I'll use a diagram.

		Officers		Men

		X			X
		X			X

The idea is it shows roughly equivalent levals of seniority. Technically of
course the men ar always below the officers, but in technical matters not
many people would listen to the Suby rather than the WO.
Incedently WO in the Royal Navy are traditionally afforded the mork of
respect by being refered to as 'mister' rather than 'warrent officer'.

Hope this hasn't confused the issue.

--
Mail:	Garry Wardrope, Computing Science Dept.,  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x5322
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.