[sci.military] non-penetrating hits on tanks

graper@BRL.MIL (MTSD/FIO) (02/15/91)

From:     Graper Brad P (MTSD/FIO) <graper@BRL.MIL>
Nonpenetrating hits can affect the target in several ways...
in some cases, with a kinetic energy penetrator you just bounce off and
little or no significant damage is done.  In other cases the mass of the
penetrator is enough that if it hits at the right angle there is a
certain amount of ballistic shock imparted to the target.  Ballistic
shock can damage electro-optical systems.  The same applies to HE
projectiles.  A big enough HE round will impart some ballistic shock
to the target, even if it doesn't do anything else.
   What the ballistic shock does to the target depends on the target.
Some armored vehicles can take the shock better than others.  There's
a number of things which can vary a vehicle's ability to take shock
damage: weight, armor thickness and materials, ruggedness of the
various subsystems on board just to name a few.  You can probably
find some Israeli accounts of shock damage to vehicles from their
numerous tank-on-tank encounters.  How well our stuff stands up compared to
others, we'll see soon.

brad graper

john%ghostwheel.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (John Prentice) (02/18/91)

From: john%ghostwheel.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (John Prentice)
In article <1991Feb15.073418.12551@cbnews.att.com> Graper Brad P (MTSD/FIO) <graper@BRL.MIL> writes:
>Nonpenetrating hits can affect the target in several ways...
>in some cases, with a kinetic energy penetrator you just bounce off and
>little or no significant damage is done.  In other cases the mass of the
>penetrator is enough that if it hits at the right angle there is a
>certain amount of ballistic shock imparted to the target.  Ballistic
>shock can damage electro-optical systems.  The same applies to HE
>projectiles.  A big enough HE round will impart some ballistic shock
>to the target, even if it doesn't do anything else.

It should perhaps be noted however that it is relatively easy to protect
against oblique impacts or HE.  For example, spaced armor plates will
stop most HE shocks completely, there is not good coupling between the
first plate, the air space, and the next plate.  Reactive armor would
also be pretty effective.  Spaced plates are also pretty effective at
stopping oblique impacts of KE penetrators since the first plate tends
to cause the penetrator to yaw as it penetrates so that it both hits
even more obliquely (minimizing the penetration depth) or fragments
(also minimizing the penetration depth).  Of course, it all depends on
the armor thickness and composition and on the nature of the impact.

The other point to be made is that non-penetrating impacts can be quite
lethal.  You can hit straight on and manifestly fail to penetrate good
modern armor.  However, the shock imparted to the material may well
spall the back surface and the fragmentation of that surface can be
very lethal.  Off the top of my head, I would guess that you only
have to achieve penetration of about 1/3 the thickness of unibody armor
to spall the back surface sufficiently to kill the crew.

John
--
John K. Prentice    john@unmfys.unm.edu (Internet)
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA