[sci.military] Radar Jamming

randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) (09/18/90)

From: Randy Appleton <randy@ms.uky.edu>
Does anyone out in net.land know how effective modern radar jamming is versus
modern radar.  For instance, if Radar X can detect an F-16 at 100 km under
normal cercumstances, with the standard jamming pod at what range should the
pilot begin to worry?  Could he get close enough to knock out the radar
station, and let the rest of the boys in, or maybe just change the detect
range from 100km down to 80?

And what if he had an EF-111 to help?

BTW, I'm just looking for about, order of magnitude stuff.  Any info
would help.

-Thanks
-Randy

My feelings on George Bush's promises:
	"You have just exceeded the gulibility threshold!"
============================================Randy@ms.uky.edu==================

vvbdn@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (02/14/91)

From: vvbdn@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov
Hi:

I'm looking for info on "radar jamming", i.e. what happens "technically",
when someone's radar is jammed.  Also could you provide me with some
written material on this whole subject area, or point me in this direction?
I would prefer an anonymous FTP site, or a LISTSERV, or a mailing list.

Please send email to me at the above address.  I will post a summary of what
I have to this group.

Thanks much.

hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark) (02/15/91)

From: hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark)

In article <1991Feb13.221635.6106@cbnews.att.com>, vvbdn@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>I'm looking for info on "radar jamming", i.e. what happens "technically",
>when someone's radar is jammed.
 "Jamming" or AECM (Active Electronic Countermeasures) can be broken
 down to one of two basic goals;
  To overcome the victim radars AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuitry
  by inducing too much power for the receiver to handle.

  Or to induce false range and/or bearing information into the radar.

  A radar can also be defeated by decoys, such as SRBOC (Super rapid blooming
  offboard chaff) or decoys such as corner reflectors.

  Aecm works most effectively on radars such as, Missile Guidance, Target
  aquisition or Terminal Homers.

 Scott Hallmark    ex-EW1(SW)  USS MISSOURI, USS FOX, USS REID

bakke@uunet.UU.NET (Jeffrey P. Bakke) (02/18/91)

From: plains!bakke@uunet.UU.NET (Jeffrey P. Bakke)

>In article <1991Feb13.221635.6106@cbnews.att.com>, vvbdn@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>I'm looking for info on "radar jamming", i.e. what happens "technically",
>then someone's radar is jammed.

For a very well written and informative article on ECM Jamming and methods,
this month's Air and Space magazine has some really good articles on
how the different Jamming methods are used and the types of planes using
them.

--
Jeffrey P. Bakke       bakke@plains.NoDak.edu
(...other idiot methods...)