[sci.military] B52 trivia

eli@PWS.BULL.COM (Steve Elias) (02/07/91)

From: eli@PWS.BULL.COM (Steve Elias)
In news footage, i've noticed that B52s seem to land rather strangely.
The nose stays pointed down until the last minute, when the plane
apparently levels off.  (The news footage i've seen never shows
the actual touchdown.)

One of my bro-in-laws goes to Parks College and I called him to
find out what the deal was.  I spoke to his roomate and he told
me that one of their instructors was an ex-B52 pilot.  Apparently,
the B52 somehow gets more relative lift on the tail end than do
most planes.  If the pilot doesn't get the nose up fast enough,
the plane actually will take off tail first, riding the nose wheel!
--
/* Salaam, not Saddam. */
/* eli@spdcc.com  eli@pws.bull.com    617 932 5598  508 294 7556  */

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (02/09/91)

From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)
eli@PWS.BULL.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

>Apparently,
>the B52 somehow gets more relative lift on the tail end than do
>most planes.  If the pilot doesn't get the nose up fast enough,
>the plane actually will take off tail first, riding the nose wheel!

     Also, they barely rotate when taking off.  The aft landing gear is
far aft of the CG in order to accomodate the bomb bay, and the wings don't
generate enough moment for a normal rotation.

--------
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (02/20/91)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger)
In article <1991Feb7.012450.29693@cbnews.att.com> eli@PWS.BULL.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
:In news footage, i've noticed that B52s seem to land rather strangely.
:The nose stays pointed down until the last minute, when the plane
:apparently
:the actual touchdown.)
:One of their instructors was an ex-B52 pilot.  Apparently,
:the B52 somehow gets more relative lift on the tail end than do
:most planes.  If the pilot doesn't get the nose up fast enough,
:the plane actually will take off tail first, riding the nose wheel!

The attitude has nothing to do with the relative lift of the wings
versus the tail.  The B-52 was designed to fly with a three degree
nose down attitude.  I was told by a Boeing engineer at the
modification facility on our base (Fairchild AFB, 92nd SAW) that the
plane flew more efficiently in this attitude.  After 3 years and more
than 200 air hours, I sort of got used to it.

BTW, there is no nose wheel, per se, there is one set of tandem main
gear fore and aft on the fuselage and one tip wheel on each wing.
Lee

"Mit Pulver und Blei, die Gedanken sind frei."