[sci.military] SSNs in the Gulf

wwy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/15/91)

From: wwy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
I would assure you that submarine-launched Tomahawks have been fully tested
already, and the fact that we are at war doesn't provide an 'excuse' for a
test.
These weapons are tested at AUTEC testing range in the Carribbean, along with
harpoons, torpedoes and silencing equipment.

klewis@mwunix.mitre.org (Keith Lewis) (02/20/91)

From: klewis@mwunix.mitre.org (Keith Lewis)
In article <1991Feb15.065310.8885@cbnews.att.com> wwy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I would assure you that submarine-launched Tomahawks have been fully tested
>already, and the fact that we are at war doesn't provide an 'excuse' for a
>test.
>These weapons are tested at AUTEC testing range in the Carribbean, along with
>harpoons, torpedoes and silencing equipment.

There is no substitute for battle testing.  It provides an opportunity to
try a weapon out against somebody who *desparately* wants it to fail.  The
closest thing you could get to this (ethically) in peacetime would be to
have a competing contractor "defending" at the testing range.

--
Keith Lewis              klewis@mwunix.mitre.org, klewis@mitre.org