[sci.military] Base Bleed & RAP

jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil (John Masly) (02/12/91)

From:     John Masly <jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil>

From  hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo)

>At least 10 or 12 years ago, the South Africans were modifying their
>artillery with rocket shells to obtain a large increase in range....
>Are we so stupid as to have no rocket assisted capability for our
>artillery?

Well, no matter what the media says, "we" are not that stupid.  During
the mid 1970s I worked for the Army's Armament Research and Development
Engineering Command.  This is the organization that is responsible for
the development and fielding of *all* the artillery shells used by the
Army.  At that point in time, the U.S. Army had developed, and type
classified, RAP (Rocket Assisted Projectile) rounds for both 155mm and
203mm (that is 8 inch for the non-metric minded 8-) ) artillery.  They
may have also developed a RAP round for the 105mm, but I can't remember
right now.  The Army developed these rounds, because they recognized the
fact that the Soviet artillery units had us out-distanced on the
battlefield, and could target U.S. forces from a distance that precluded
us from providing effective counter battery fire.

If you want confirmatiom, check with someone who currently works for
ARDEC (aka Picatinny Arsenal), Dover, NJ.

Two asides here:
First - A RAP round actually integrates a small solid propellant
	rocket motor into the projectile structure, which ignites
	a short distance from the gun/howitzer muzzle, and provides
	a moderate increase in range.  A base bleed projectile has
	a propellant in the projectile base that burns freely (the
	combustion is not confined as in a rocket motor).  The idea
	here is to reduce the low pressure found behind a projectile
	in flight, so as to reduce the drag on the projectile, and
	thereby increase the range.  The range increase gained by
	a RAP round is usually greater than that gained by a similar
	base bleed round.

Second - If I remember correctly, the Israelies use a combination of
	techniques to gain increased range from the 175mm Guns that
	they acquired from the U.S.  They fire a 155mm saboted round
	and imploy base bleed on the round.  I believe the actual
	155mm base bleed projectile design originated in Sweden.

John R. Masly  Mainz Army Depot, Mainz Germany  APO NY 09185
               "AMCs Depot on the Rhein"

"English law prohibits a man from marrying his mother-in-law.
	This is our idea of useless legislation"

					Unknown

pspod@kira.lerc.nasa.gov ( ) (02/13/91)

From: pspod@kira.lerc.nasa.gov ( )
In article jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil (John Masly) writes:
>	and imploy base bleed on the round.  I believe the actual
>	155mm base bleed projectile design originated in Sweden.

The base bleed idea originated in the fertile mind of the infamous
Dr. Gerald Bull, of the Iraqi supergun fame.  The G-5 guns now used
by Austria, South Africa and Iraq were designed by Bull.

dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund) (02/21/91)

From: dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund)
The base-bled design was invited by some guys at FOA ( the Swedish Defense
Research Organisation ) in the 60's. They patented it then.
Later on the patent was sold to a Belgian Firm.

The Belges sold a manufacturing license to a Canadian firm which
then sold the same license to Armscor in SAF.

Puhh.

Now we come to one another thing :
How has the Red Khmers gotten Swedish Carl Gustaf RR
and ammo manufactured by FFV ( The Swedish Arm Manufacturing Company ).
Through the US or Singapore ?
Not China.

dvlssd@cs.umu.se, Stefan Skoglund  I  Tel +46 90 19 65 29
Ume, Sweden                        I