[sci.military] Bobtailed Battlewagons

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) (02/07/91)

From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
In regards to removing the turret from an "Iowa", you have to break the
job down into manageable parts.  The 2000-ton figure quoted for the
turret includes the barbette, that portion of the armour protection that
extends from the bottom of the turret to magazines and allows for passage
of the power and shot to the guns.  You could separate them at the "Turret
ring", strip the internals from the turret and just barely get it clear
of the hull.
    For an intact extraction, the only rig I know of would be at the
Sumitomo Shipyard at Yokosuka, Japan (where they built the Japanese Musashi
class BB's).  The JN's claimed they could put my cruiser on the flight deck of
the Midway with that setup.
    As a side line, the fights that developed over the 5" turrets removed
from the BB's were quite interesting, but I never found out which country
finally got them.  Anybody know where they went?
 *If you attack expecting to prevail, do it in full strength, because a *
 *surplus of victory never caused any conqueror one pang of remorse.    *
 ********************************* XENOPHON *****************************
  Larry W. Jewell                              JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU

gzw1019@dgsc.dla.mil (Clay P. Fogler) (02/09/91)

From: gzw1019@dgsc.dla.mil (Clay P. Fogler)

  Its been years since I was there, but the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard has the
crane originally used to put those turrets in place - provided they haven't
dismantled the thing.  Its on the Elizabeth River, just around the corner from
the Norfolk Navy Base.  So pulling a turrent off of the Wisconsin BB-64 would
almost be a house call.

  Clay Fogler (gzw1019) sends...

greg@uunet.UU.NET (Greg Fabian) (02/21/91)

From: cti1!greg@uunet.UU.NET (Greg Fabian)

gzw1019@dgsc.dla.mil (Clay P. Fogler) writes:

>From: gzw1019@dgsc.dla.mil (Clay P. Fogler)

>  Its been years since I was there, but the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard has the
>crane originally used to put those turrets in place - provided they haven't
>dismantled the thing.  Its on the Elizabeth River, just around the corner from
>the Norfolk Navy Base.  So pulling a turrent off of the Wisconsin BB-64 would
>almost be a house call.

A friend of mine works at Portsmouth, and he says the crane is still in
operation.  It was recertified recently because it was overloaded when
they attempted to remove a turret from a ship without first removing the
bolts to hold the turret in place.  Apparently the crane was pulling the
ship out of the water when it was overloaded.

The crane has another crane sitting on top of it.  When they first built
the crane, they first had to erect a crane to raise construction parts in
order to build it.  After the crane was built, it was decided to leave
the smaller crane in place so it could be used for repairs, etc.

Greg Fabian