[sci.military] Jet kills by prop planes

elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (02/05/91)

From: elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
In article <1991Feb4.044425.9461@cbnews.att.com>, newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:
> I know of jet kills by prop planes using the Skyraider, Corair, and the
> Twin Mustang.  Anyone know of any others?

I remember reading a book by a WWII pilot who flew Hawker Tempest's. He said
that they occasionally managed to shoot down a ME-262. I think the standard
technique was to try and get them on their landing approach, although
anti-aircraft fire made this very risky.

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (02/06/91)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

>I remember reading a book by a WWII pilot who flew Hawker Tempest's. He said
>that they occasionally managed to shoot down a ME-262. I think the standard
>technique was to try and get them on their landing approach, although
>anti-aircraft fire made this very risky.

Actually, in the final year of World War II, for every fighter plane
that Germany could send up, the Americans could put up 10 fighters.
Hence, if there were 10 German fighter planes up in the air, there were
100 American fighter planes.

It was somewhat like a rabbit hunt - the rabbit could run a lot faster,
but there were too many hunters, and eventually the rabbit got shot.
The Me-262 was just like the rabbit; there were simply too many American
fighter planes for the Me-262 to handle.

Hitler's decision to use the Me-262 as a jet bomber didn't help at all.

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (02/07/91)

From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)
elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:

>I remember reading a book by a WWII pilot who flew Hawker Tempest's. He said
>that they occasionally managed to shoot down a ME-262. I think the standard
>technique was to try and get them on their landing approach, although
>anti-aircraft fire made this very risky.

     Yeager got one in a P-51, while the 262 was landing.

--------
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

smith@acpy01 (02/07/91)

From: smith@acpy01 ()
>From: elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
>In article <1991Feb4.044425.9461@cbnews.att.com>, newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>
>I remember reading a book by a WWII pilot who flew Hawker Tempest's. He said
>that they occasionally managed to shoot down a ME-262. I think the standard
>technique was to try and get them on their landing approach, although
>anti-aircraft fire made this very risky.

An oldtimer that I fly R/C planes with was a fighter pilot who flew the
P-51D Mustang as an escort for the B-17 bombers. He showed me his gun
camera footage of his shooting down of a ME-262. He spotted the plane from
high up, made a screaming dive with his airspeed indicator in the red, and
shot from behind. The ME-262's canopy flew off, but the pilot never ejected
and the jet went down. He said Mustang wings could shear off at very high speed
dives. He said the only way to shoot down the jets was then they were
taking off or landing, or from a high speed dive. This guy also survived
a midair collision with another Mustang.

Bob Smith

johnsond@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Johnson) (02/11/91)

From: mitel!Software!johnsond@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Johnson)

[mod.note:  Another thread that's degenerated into trivia.  No more,
please.  - Bill ]

I believe also in 1945, a Yakolev Yak 9 managed to down a Me-262, the only
recorded jet kill for the Soviet Air Force in World war II. The Soviet pilot
was a fairly experienced flyer, with numerous kills to his credit.B

c34657b@saha.hut.fi (Tuomas Ilmari Viljanen) (02/19/91)

From: c34657b@saha.hut.fi (Tuomas Ilmari Viljanen)
Yes, that A-4 kill over a MiG-17 is indeed true.

The event has been described in Lou Drendel's book "...And Kill MiGs" (Squadron
Signal Publifications, 1984). It happened on 20.5.1965. Four Spads were bounced
by two Frescoes (NATO codename for MiG-17), who attempted to outmanouevre the
USN planes. One was shot down by the Spads and the other ran away.

The Skyraider MiG killers were Lts Clint Johnson and Charlie Hartman from VA-25
onboard USS Midway. The plane flown by Lt. Johnson is illustrated on page # 37.

The book (which is, by the way, a must for everyone interested in the 'Nam war)
should be available in any well-equipped hobby or aviation book store. Its pri-
ce is $8.95, which should be not too much for 80 pages full of photos and color
illustrations. BTW, did you know that one MiG-21 has been shot down by a B-52 !

  ++ Tuomas Viljanen                     ++  JOIN THE NAVY !                 ++
  ++ Lahderanta 20 A 19                  ++  TRAVEL THE WORLD !              ++
  ++ SF-02720 Espoo 72 FINLAND           ++  MEET LOTS OF INTERESTING PEOPLE ++
  ++ 358-0-592175 or c34657b@saha.hut.fi ++  AND SINK THEM ALL !!!           ++

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (02/21/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

In article <1991Feb19.033242.19209@cbnews.att.com>, c34657b@saha.hut.fi (Tuomas Ilmari Viljanen) writes...
>illustrations. BTW, did you know that one MiG-21 has been shot down by a B-52 !

Just a correction here.  There were two MiG-21's shot down by B-52's.  I
believe they were downed during Linebacker II.  At least there were two
CONFIRMED kills.  Are there figures for probables/possibles/slight chances?

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy