[sci.military] Pouring concrete

andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux) (02/09/91)

From: andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux)

>>From: MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Michael Edelman)
>Thos Cohen asks "how long does it take for 36m of concrete to cure?",
>with regards to Iraqi shelters. The answer: No longer than it takes
>1m to cure.

I thought I'd relate some information I received on a tour of Hoover Dam about
5 years ago:

During the tour, the guide asked how many people had heard that workers on
the dam had been killed by being buried during the pouring of concrete.  When
several people raised their hands, he told us that such stories were hogwash
since concrete won't cure correctly if it is poured more than 8 inches at a
time.  To emphasize this, he pointed out pictures showing the building of
the dam.  Sure enough, you could see concrete being poured into wooden-sided
molds that couldn't have been more than 1 foot high.

On a related note, I recently saw a BBC show on Greek and Roman architecture
that mentioned the use of concrete in Roman projects.  The host told how the
Romans poured the concrete in layers, and how they had to pour each layer a
little before the one before it had completely cured.  In this way the many
layers of concrete effectively became one piece.

Anyone have experience with recent techniques for pouring large quantities of
concrete?
Andre Molyneux - KA7WVV - andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com
PYRAMID TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION  1295 Charleston Road, Mountain View, CA  94043
"Insert your favorite corporate disclaimer here."

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/13/91)

From: jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond)

jln@elaine39.stanford.edu (Jared Nedzel) writes:

>As for times, well, a 36m slab of concrete would certainly have to be placed
>in lifts, with time between lifts (just how much time, I'm not sure).

>It will take somewhere between several hours and a day or two for the
>concrete to set, but it will take significantly longer for it to gain
>strength. You get a lot of strength after a week, but you won't reach
>design strength for a month or so. I can't say how long it would take
>to pour 36m of concrete, except to say that it would be a good long
>while (months).

My first "real" job was as a heavy equipment operator at the construction
site of the Sequoyah Nuclear Plant in Chattanooga, TN.  More specifically,
I ran the ammonia-cooled ice plant that was part of a field-erected
concrete batch plant.  I started my job a couple of weeks before the
pour of the reactor building foundation.  This was a slab about 200 ft
in diameter and 35 ft thick.

This slab was laid as a continuous pour.  It took about 3 weeks of around
the clock pouring to lay it.  To put this in perspective, the batch plant
was about 6 stories high, received its raw materials by river barge and
mixed a truckful in a single batch.  The ice plant alone had 200 hp
motors running the ammonia compressors.  In other words, we could make a
LOT of concrete.  It'd be hard for me to imagine a batch-plant this
large being transported out in the desert away from grid power.  I suppose
it could be done.  I think that the 3 week period for a pour this size
is probably the minimum one could expect.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin) (02/15/91)

From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)

andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux) writes:
>>>From: MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Michael Edelman)
>>Thos Cohen asks "how long does it take for 36m of concrete to cure?",
>>with regards to Iraqi shelters. The answer: No longer than it takes
>>1m to cure.
[stuff deleted]
>several people raised their hands, he told us that such stories were hogwash
>since concrete won't cure correctly if it is poured more than 8 inches at a
>time.  To emphasize this, he pointed out pictures showing the building of
>the dam.  Sure enough, you could see concrete being poured into wooden-sided
>molds that couldn't have been more than 1 foot high.

Yes, it's still true.  As a matter of fact, one of the most common uses
of finite element analysis is to model the heat flow out of curing concrete
in large structures such as dams.  (Or as we called it in school,
Damn Finite Elements)

The major problem with pouring big blocks of concrete is that heat is
generated by curing.  Lots of it.  If you pour a big block in one go,
the thermal expansion is enough to crack it.
--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.       ! My employer does
The Romanian Orphans Support Group needs your help,      ! not stand by my

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (02/21/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1991Feb18.054239.11447@cbnews.att.com> yarvin-norman@CS.YALE.EDU (Norman Yarvin) writes:

>A figure was mentioned of a German shell which penetrated 36m of Maginot Line
>concrete.
>
>Does anybody know whether this rumor was true?

Ain't no rumour. Following taken without permission from
(you guessed it) "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Ammunition", by
Ian Hogg. Spelling errors etc. are mine.

Rochling Shell

  "Special type of anti-concrete shell developed by the Rochling Eisenund
und Stahl-werke of Dusseldorf, Germany during WW2.
  Conventional anti concrete shells of the period were full calibre shells
with blunt points; the Rochling designers reasoned that better penetration
would be achieved by a shell of small calibre, but delivering a heavier
blow by virtue of being much longer than normal and thus concentrating
its weight into a smaller area of contact. They accordingly designed a
long sub-calibre shell with a discarding sabot at the shoulder and a sabot
at the rear which enclosed a set of four flexible fins. When fired, the
shell left the muzzle and discarded the two sabots, allowing the fins to
spring out and stabilize it. It was fired from a 21cm rifled gun, but the
fins soon damped out the spin.
  The Rochling shell was not used against the Maginot line during the
1940 invasion of France, since it was not necessary. After the occupation
of France and Belgium a number of trials were made against fortifications
and one record of these tests reports of a shell which passed through 3m
of earth [ sorry, in the original posting I said 5m ], 36m of concrete, a
layer of broken stone, the roof of a subterranean chamber then into the
floor beneath and 5m into the earth beneath the floor. This was a test of
an inert shell; a live shell would have detonated in the subterranean
chamber if correctly fused.
  Achievement of this kind of performance demanded high grade chrome-
vanadium steel for the shell and precise manufacture. 8000 shells were
made and stockpiled, but after that it was hardly used. A few were fired
against the fortress of Brest-Litovsk during the invasion of Russia in
1941, but use of the Rochling shell was then forbidden by Hitler on the
grounds that a specimen might fall into enemy hands and be copied for
use against Germany. From then on the shells could only be used with his
permission, and since this was rarely requested and even more rarely
granted, the existence of the shell was gradually forgotten."

--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz