[sci.military] Singapore and Viet Nam

ARTABAR@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu (02/13/91)

From: ARTABAR@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu
I am looking for data on Singapore's military (size, equipment, etc.) and
Viet Nam's.   (for those of you who think this is an odd question, Singapore
is deathly afraid of Viet Nam 'coming over the wall')
Please send your responses directly to me (artabar@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu)
Thanx in advance
Andy

c188-br%volga.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) (02/14/91)

From: c188-br%volga.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng)

In article <1991Feb13.032228.27177@cbnews.att.com> ARTABAR@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu writes:

>From: ARTABAR@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu
>I am looking for data on Singapore's military (size, equipment, etc.) and
>Viet Nam's.   (for those of you who think this is an odd question, Singapore
>is deathly afraid of Viet Nam 'coming over the wall')
>Please send your responses directly to me (artabar@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu)
>Thanx in advance
>Andy

The Singapore Armed Forces was formed with the help of Israeli advisors. It has
the same integrated command structure as the IDF and shares many Israeli
doctrine (but adapted for local needs).  The government considers a strong
defence to be extremely important.  This is shown by devoting as much as 6% of
the GNP which is way higher than neighboring nations (particularly in the
aftermath of the Kuwaiti invasion since Singapore is a tiny country [smaller
than greater LA, pop. 2.7 million], surrounded by big Muslim neighbors and of
course Vietnam).  Every Singapore male aged 18 and above has to serve 24 to 30
months of national service.  Due to the lowered birth rates, it is now harder
for people to get downgraded for lighter work and they may even consider
extending the enlistment period (which is already long by any standards).  By
the way, there's no such thing as obtaining conscientious status (you serve in
the jail for that matter).

The SAF was intended originally to be a small professional corps supported by a
large citizen's army a la Switzerland.  However, they are maintaining a fairly
large standing army based on Israeli experiences (the lack of time in
activating
a citizen's army due to the tiny land area).  I have personally served in an
ADA
battalion manning Oerlikon 35mm AA guns.

The basic force structure includes: Army.................... about 45 000 to 50
000 (400 tanks, 1000+ APCs) Air Force............... about  6 000 to  7 000
(180
aircraft) Navy.................... about  3 000 to  4 000 (30+ small vessels)
Civil Defence........... not sure mostly reservist (also included firemen)

There are also includes about 200 000 reservists (13-year training cycle but
liability upto 45 for enlisted men and 50 for officers and NCOs).  Mobilisation
exercises are carried out regularly to achieve the objective of deploying all
men within 72 hours.  The reservist elements are considered an integral part of
the armed forces far more than most armed forces.

The Army consists of 5 infantry divisions (1 active, 2 reservist and 2 People's
Defence Force).  The 3 main divisions are equipped much like American infantry
divisions.  Weapons include the M16S1, Ultimax 100 SAW, FN MG, Carl Gustav 84mm
RR, 106mm RR, Milan (II?), 81mm/120mm (old) motar, 155mm FH88 howitzer, TPQ36
etc.  There are also 2 independent armored brigades (more like mechanized
infantry), 2 commando (airborne) battalions and various independent signals,
engineer support units.  THe People's Defence Force elements are essentially a
collection of pure infantry battalions (each of the 3 brigades has 8 infantry
battalions) traditionally allocated with surplus men.  But plans are underway
upgrade them to the equivalent of the other infantry divisions.

The Air Force also include the ADA elements and all helicopters.  There are
about 60 to 80 Skyhawks (upgraded with F404 engines), 30+ F5E/Fs, 8 F16s
(perhaps eventually 20+), 30+ SIAI-Marchetti S211s, 7 Hawker Hunters FR74
(recon), 4 E2C Hawkeyes, 8 C130/KC130 Hercules, 6 Short Skyvans.  Weapons
include the Sidewinder, Maverick etc. Helicopter force includes about 30 to 50
Super Pumas, about 40 to 50 UH1H (to be retired), 6 to 12 Ecureils (??) and
about 20 Dauphins (anti-armor) on order.  ADA weapons include the I-Hawk,
Rapier, Oerlikon 20mm and 35mm, RBS70 and perhaps the Roland.

The Navy consists of 12 missile gun boats/corvettes, another about 12 to 24
FACs, 4 LSTs (vintage WWII stuff) etc and other support elements including the
elite naval divers (airborne).  The current wood minesweepers are being
replaced.

Due to the lack of land area, the SAF maintain permanent training bases in many
countries (notably Brunei and Thailand).  Since we need to import even water
from neighboring Malaysia, it is important to maintain good relations
(especially with trade being our lifeline).  Therefore Singapore has been
particularly keen on working for regional security.  Combined military
exercises
are held with many foreign nations including the US, UK, Australia and New
Zealand.

It's also important to look at the other potential threat.  It seems in
some circles, Indonesia is described as a nation with territorial ambitions
(the Confrontation), Malaysia has being potentially hostile should the
Muslim extremists take power and a powerful China (even Japan).  This is
particularly important for a tiny nation like Singapore.

vomitpuke@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Jeff Neilson) (02/18/91)

From: vomitpuke@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Jeff Neilson)

I saw a report comparing Singapore to Kuwait. it mentioned that Kuwait had
almost nothing military, while Singapore(the only Non-3rd World country in its
area), has a HUGE military force for its size...mostly due to Singapore
Reservists...i dont know ANY specifics, but Singapore, while they cant totally
defend themselves independently, they can, at least, try.

----
ProLine:  vomitpuke@pro-odyssey
Internet: vomitpuke@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!vomitpuke
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!vomitpuke@nosc.mil

rz02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rudolph R. Zung) (02/21/91)

From: "Rudolph R. Zung" <rz02+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>From: ARTABAR@MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu
>I am looking for data on Singapore's military (size, equipment, etc.) and
>Viet Nam's.   (for those of you who think this is an odd question, Singapore
>is deathly afraid of Viet Nam 'coming over the wall')
>Please send your responses directly to me (artabar@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu)
>Thanx in advance
>Andy

This is the information on Singapore's military as I know it. Much of
the structure
is similar to the US Army/Marines structure. This information is biased
towards
small infantry units and may have gaps and holes in it. This is because
when I was
in the Army there, I was an Infantry Combat Officer serving in OCS as an
instructor.
And as you know, structure in schools are differents from operational units.

Unless otherwise noted, personal weapon is M16S1.

1 group (Closest US Marine equivalent: 1 fire team):
        2 individuals (weapons vary by groups)

1 section (7 men) (Closest US Marine equivalent: 1 Squad):
        3 groups
        1 section commander (CPL. Usually attached with
                             first/point section)
        (Weapons: 2 LAW
                  2 SAW
                  2 M203
                  1 SSS (M16 with optical sights)

1 GPMG team (2, 3 men):
        Gun commander (SGT) (FN MAG)
        Number 2 man (ammo bearer)
        Number 3 man (ammo bearer, tripod bearer)*

1 Pl HQ (4 men):
        1 Medic
        1 Signaller (Coy Command Net)
        1 Pl Sergeant (SGT)
        1 Pl Comd (2LT or LTA)

1 Pl (28 men):
        3 sections
        1 GPMG team
        1 Pl HQ

Coy HQ:
        1 OC (1LT or CPT)
        1 2IC (1LT)
        1 CSM (SSG)
        2 Signaller (Bn Command Net, Bn Admin Net)
        1 Runner (Coy Command Net)
        1 CQ
        1, 2 Storeman

1 Coy:
        3 Pl
        1 Coy HQ

Bn HQ:
        1 CO (MAJ, LTC)
        1 Bn 2IC
        1 S1 (Manpower)         (The order here could be wrong,
        1 S2 (Intelligence)      I find it hard to remember those
        1 S3 (Planning)          numbers)
        1 S4 (Logistics)
        Many service support (clerks, cooks, drivers, etc)
        Possibly other Bn support elements (RR, Armor, etc)

1 Bn:
        1 Bn HQ
        3 rifle companies
        Support Company/companies

1 Bde:
        1 Bde HQ
        3 Bn

1 Div:
        3 Bde

Ranks:
 Other ranks (Closest US equivalent: Enlisted ranks)
REC     Recruit
PVT     Private
PFC     Private First Class
LCP     Lance Corporal
 Other ranks, NCO:
CPL     Corporal
CFC     Corporal First Class
 Other ranks, SNCO:
SGT     Sergeant
SSM     Staff Sergeant
WO2     Warrant Officer Class 2
WO1     Warrant Officer Class 1
SWO     Senior Warrant Officer
 Officers
2LT     2nd Lieutenant
LTA     Full Lieutenant
CPT     Captain
MAJ     Major
LTC     Lieutenant Colonel
COL     Colonel
BG      Brigadier General
MG      Major General
LG      Lieutenant General

Abbreviations:
2IC     Second in Command/Charge. Unless otherwise noted, usually refers
        to a company 2IC. (Closest US equivalent: Executive Officer)
Bde     Bridage
Bn      Battalion
CIS     Chartered Industries of Singapore
CO      Commanding Officer; Battalion Commander
Coy     Company
CQ      Comapany Quartermaster
CSM     Company Sergeant Major
Div     Division
GPMG    General Purpose Machine Gun
HQ      HeadQuarters
LAW     Light Antitank Weapon
NCO     Non-Commissioned Officer
OC      Officer Commanding (Closest US equivalent: Company Commander)
Pl      Platoon
RR      Recoilless Rifle
SAW     Section Automatic Weapon
SNCO    Senior Non-Commissioned Officer
SSS     Section SharpShooter

Weapons:
FN MAG          Fabrique Nationale Mitrailleuse Automatique Generale.
                French (maybe Belgian) 7.62mm caliber, belt fed.
LAW             German ArmBrust.
M16S1           A standard US Colt M16A1 manufactured in Singapore by
                CIS under license from Colt.
M203            M203 grenade launcher mounted on M16.
SAW             CIS made Ultimax 100. 5.56mm caliber; 100 round drum
                magazine or standard M16 magazine.

Note Bene:
Ca approximately 1990, due to shortage of manpower and success of
govermental population control campaigns in 70s, there was some
reorganization of structure. Prior to that, each group was 3 men instead
of the current 2. The GPMG team may have been cut from 3 men to 2 men.

In the Singapore context, there is no differentiation between Battalion
and Regiment. Part of this reason is that the Singapore Army is
insufficiently large to field Regiments, but in order to preserve
historically the British names of units, Singapore retains Regimental
names. Thus, the unit 5SIR (5th Singapore Infantry Regiment) is actually
a battalion sized unit.

There are currently 3 Divisions, and possibly plans for a fourth.

I believe that there are 50,000 personnel on active service with a full
potential
of 200,000 if all reserves are recalled for duty. (Numbers could be wrong)

The Air Force flies: C130, SkyVan, F5s, F16s, E2s,  among others.

--
...Ru     Names and places have been identified to protect the anonymous.
   mcmxcI

InterNet: rz02+@andrew.cmu.edu          BITnet  : rz02+@andrew
UUCP    : ...!{ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!rz02+
R Zung \ (412) 682-0532 \ CMU Box 231 \ Pittsburgh PA 15213