[sci.military] Bogus Info in NOVA program about Dr. Bull

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (02/21/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1991Feb18.062706.15364@cbnews.att.com> hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) writes:

>From: hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo)
>I seem to recall, from reading the book by Walter Dornberger,
>that the V3 was NOT a gun at all as Nova claimed. It was a
>complex of underground rails for launching rockets. The gun
>with the multiple charges was jokingly called the caterpillar,

Source: "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Artillery" by Ian V Hogg
'High Pressure Pump' also as 'Hockdruckpumpe' (HDP), 'busy Lizzie',
'the centipede' and 'Vergeltungswaffe 3':
The details boil down to it being a manifestation of the multiple
chamber gun, which started as far back as the 1880s with the Lyman
and Haskell gun. An engineer with Rochling Steel (the folks who
made the concrete piercing shell I mentioned in various other
posts) developed a 20mm scale model which apparently worked well.
A report was sent through Speer to Hitler proposing a battery of
50 15cm HDP barrels to be built into the hillside near Mimoyecques
and aimed at London. This was approved before even a working gun
was not yet made.
A short 15cm gun had been installed at the Hillersleben Proving
ground by Sept '43. They had the same problem of the flash leaking
forward and igniting the side charges in advance of the projectile,
and providing enormous back pressures (the Lyman Haskell gun of
1870, 6", had a muzzle velocity of 1099 ft/sec despite barrel
pressures as high as 38 ton/sq in). The Germans cured this by using
an efficient sealing piston behind the projectile. A full length
gun (150') was assembled at Misdroy on the Baltic coast and firing
trials and traning commenced. After redesigning the shell to be
stable in flight and stopping the barrel bursting at various times,
by May '44 most of the technical problems appeared to have been
solved, and the predicted maximum range of 93 miles was in sight.
However, with the invasion due in June, the site at Mimoyecques was
discovered and pounded.
Two short versions of the 15cm HDP were assembled and sent into action.
One was mounted on a railway flatcar and fired into Antwerp, and the
other was laid out on a hillside near Hermeskeil and fired into
Luxembourg". No performance data is available about either of these
weapons. The planned performance for the full size HDP was 492'
barrel length, fixed elevation of 55 deg, 83kg shell, muzzle velocity
of 1,463m/sec (4800 ft/sec) for a range of 150 km.

I'm inclined to believe that it was a gun. They didn't have any rockets
that I know of (which doesn't cover a lot) that were rail launched
apart from the 150cm NebelWerfer style rockets. If you need a rail
launch then it implies that your rocket is purely ballistic in
trajectory, otherwise you could just launch it like a V2.

--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz