[sci.military] German NBC vehicles

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W.Jewell) (02/11/91)

From:     "Larry W.Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
WNN reported on 02FEB91 that the Germans were sending NBC-capable recon-
aisance vehicles to Sandi Arabia.  I got just a glimpse of them and didn't
get the designator.  From my books they look liked Transportpanzer I's
but this is an 1988 book.  Is this the current version?  Does the U.S.
or anyother Coalition member have similar vehicles?  How about Iraq?

(These were not NBC *proof* vehicles, but APC's that could check for
contaminants and mark suspect areas without leaving the crew compartment.)

"Replies summarized, credited, and posted (receipt ack's if VM willing)."
"The next dreadful thing to a battle lost is a battle won."
                               Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
Larry W. Jewell                                 Jewelllw@pur.cc.vm (I think)

xrtnt@alpher.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (02/12/91)

From: xrtnt@alpher.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng)
In article <1991Feb11.044612.29166@cbnews.att.com>, JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W.Jewell) writes...

^WNN reported on 02FEB91 that the Germans were sending NBC-capable recon-
^aisance vehicles to Sandi Arabia.  I got just a glimpse of them and didn't
^get the designator.  From my books they look liked Transportpanzer I's
^but this is an 1988 book.  Is this the current version?  Does the U.S.
^or anyother Coalition member have similar vehicles?  How about Iraq?

Yes, we do.  In fact the US NBC recon vehicle should be the same beastie as the
German one since we purchace ours from a German manufacturer.  I believe that
the vehicle is named the Fox (only in german...which I can't remember - Foch?).

[mod.note: "Fuchs" is German for fox. - Bill ]

A much nicer vechicle than the LAV which was the competition IMHO but suffers
from a a very bad problem:  it uses German speced parts and not US parts.
Which basically means logistical hell.  I'll try to look up the designation in
my sourcebook at home but I doubt it's in there as my book is a tad old and the
vehicle quite new (for us anyway).

^(These were not NBC *proof* vehicles, but APC's that could check for
^contaminants and mark suspect areas without leaving the crew compartment.)

Well...I'm not sure of that.  I recall that it does have an overpressure system
and internal air filtering for the crew.  Whether they have to remain chem gear
or not I'm not sure of but it sounds reasonably safe from chem contaminants
anyway.  Also as far as I know no US vehicle meets all the specs on NBC
*proofness*.  The major problem is the requirement to be able to enter and exit
the vehicle without contaminating the inside...and who has room for an airlock?

Oh, yes...another point of trivia.  I recall that the vehicle swims quite well.
Not much of an issue in the current theater is it? ;-)

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE/SMEX Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov or xrtnt@vx730.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/12/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From:     "Larry W.Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
> WNN reported on 02FEB91 that the Germans were sending NBC-capable recon-
> aisance vehicles to Sandi Arabia.  I got just a glimpse of them and didn't
> get the designator.  From my books they look liked Transportpanzer I's
> but this is an 1988 book.  Is this the current version?  Does the U.S.
> or anyother Coalition member have similar vehicles?  How about Iraq?

  It is an NBC version of the TPz1.  It's the M93 "Fox" NBC Reconnaissance
  System - built by Germany's Thyssen Henschel GmbH.  They built about
  1,000 6X6 wheeled light armored combat support vehicles (140 NBC versions)
  between 1979 and 1986.  The US Army adopted the Fox in 1988 and terminated
  a contract with TRW for an M113 version.

  The German Ministry of Defense (MOD) turned over 60 vehicles to the US
  for use in the Gulf.

  Specifications:

  Weight, combat loaded           18.7 tons
  Weight, unloaded                16.9 tons
  Crew                            3 (commander, driver, NBC operator)
  Length                          24 feet
  Width                           10 feet
  Height                           8 feet
  Ground clearance                17 inches
  Engine                          Mercedes-Benz OM 402A turbocharged
                                    liquid-cooled V8 diesel, 320hp @ 2500rpm
  Transmission                    Zahnradfabrik Friedichshafen 6 HP 500,
                                    six-speed automatic w/torque converter
  Wheels, Driven                  6 x 6
  Wheels, Steered                 front four
  Tire Size                       14.00x20, run-flat type
  Max Road Speed                  65mph
  Max Swim Speed                   7mph
  Fuel Cap                        103gal
  Range                           500miles
  Gradient                        70%
  Operation time                  12 hours (NBC system on)

  The all-welded steel hull provides ballistic crew protection.  The engine
  is mounted behind the driver's and commander's position and offset to the
  left, allowing room for a passage to the rear compartment.  It's fully
  amphibious, with two four-bladed propellers under the rear of the hull
  behind the rear wheels.  (Germans *love* building wheeled-armored
  vehicles that swim)

  The vehicle carries portable M1 Chemical Agent Monitors and an AN/VDR-2
  radiation monitor.  It also pulls a pair of surface sampler wheels and has
  an air sampler.  The CAM can detect low levels of both nerve and blister
  agents and can differentiate between the two.  Traces picked up by the
  vehicle's own sensors are analyzed immediately by an on-board spectrometer.
  They can mark contaminated areas and transmit warnings to nearby units.

  (Source:  'Army' Jan 1991)

  mike schmitt

cottleta@b11.ingr.com (Tim Cottle) (02/23/91)

From: cottleta@b11.ingr.com (Tim Cottle)
In article <1991Feb12.014901.10398@cbnews.att.com> bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>  It is an NBC version of the TPz1.
>
>  The vehicle carries portable M1 Chemical Agent Monitors and an AN/VDR-2
>  radiation monitor.  It also pulls a pair of surface sampler wheels and has
>  an air sampler.  The CAM can detect low levels of both nerve and blister
>  agents and can differentiate between the two.  Traces picked up by the
>  vehicle's own sensors are analyzed immediately by an on-board spectrometer.
>  They can mark contaminated areas and transmit warnings to nearby units.

An interesting note:  due to the cofiguration of the externally mounted and
serviced surface sampler wheels and air sampler, left-handed persons are
preferred for the job of NBC operator.  The units are serviced by a glove box-
type mechanism mounted on the right side of the vehicle (rear view, facing),
necessitating the NBC operator to be turned facing the rear of the Fox, changingsampler wheels and air sampler screens, and dropping marker flags with his
left hand.  This was reported in a segment last week on the Fox shown on (if I
remember properly) the McNeil-Lehrer News Hour.

--

 |  Timothy A. Cottle                  |                                      |
 |  Intergraph Corp.                   |      Gotter selbst vergebens.        |