[sci.military] Ejection seats

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>... TV film of the MiG-29 (Fulcrum) crash at the Paris
>Airshow '89 showed that the plane was heading vertically for the ground when
>the pilot ejected at what must have been 50 - 100'. Upon leaving the plane the
>seat righted itself and deployed the chute immediately. It hadn't opened fully
>before hitting the ground but must have provided some breaking as the pilot
>bounced once but virtually walked away from the crash...

Aviation Week says the ejection was at about 300 feet, in fact.  On the
other hand, the aircraft was inverted in a near-vertical dive, which is
rather worse than inverted in level flight.  It's amazing that the pilot
survived, let alone with nothing more than cuts and bruises.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (07/20/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <8226@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Henry Spencer writes:

*Aviation Week says the ejection was at about 300 feet, in fact.  On the
*other hand, the aircraft was inverted in a near-vertical dive, which is
*rather worse than inverted in level flight.  It's amazing that the pilot
*survived, let alone with nothing more than cuts and bruises.

it suggests that there has been a major improvement in Soviet
ejection seats; the seats on the early Mig 21 aircraft were
possibly more dangerous to the pilots than staying in the craft.

richard
--
richard welty               welty@lewis.crd.ge.com
518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn) (02/04/91)

From: voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn)

There's been talk recently about the injuries of the Allied POWs being
caused by the act of ejecting from their planes.  Some people have
said that some planes are designed such that the pilot must eject through
a closed canopy.  It seems to me that a canopy designed to withstand
air pressures of supersonic flight would be extremely difficult to
punch through with a slow-moving seat, or head.  Does anyone out there
have any real data on this?  Can a pilot survive a punch out through
a canopy?

--
Alan Hepburn                    "To treat your facts with imagination
National Semiconductor Corp        is one thing, but to imagine your facts

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn)
>There's been talk recently about the injuries of the Allied POWs being
>caused by the act of ejecting from their planes...

Ejection injuries, up to and including fractured vertebrae, are not at all
uncommon.  Ejection is a very violent process, undertaken only when the
alternative looks even worse.

>Some people have
>said that some planes are designed such that the pilot must eject through
>a closed canopy.  It seems to me that a canopy designed to withstand
>air pressures of supersonic flight would be extremely difficult to
>punch through with a slow-moving seat, or head...

The typical approach taken in through-the-canopy-ejection aircraft is to
make the thick windshield on the front -- which has to contend with high
aerodynamic forces plus birdstrikes -- a separate piece from the relatively
thin overhead canopy.  This does mean putting a frame of some kind between
the two, which obstructs the pilot's vision somewhat.  On the other hand,
it permits truly instantaneous ejection, while jettisoning the canopy
before ejection involves a delay.  At low altitude that delay could be
fatal.

There are various intermediate approaches like putting detonating cord
in the canopy so it can be shattered as ejection begins.  I believe it
is also relatively normal for modern seats to be tall enough that they
hit the canopy before the pilot's head does.  Don't underestimate the
forces involved.

>... Can a pilot survive a punch out through a canopy?

Yes, definitely.  RAF combat aircraft are almost entirely eject-through-
canopy types, since the RAF stresses the low-altitude penetration role
and demands instantaneous ejection.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bxr307@csc.anu.edu.au (02/05/91)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.edu.au
In article <1991Feb4.052511.15316@cbnews.att.com>, voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn) writes:

> From: voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn)
>
> There's been talk recently about the injuries of the Allied POWs being
> caused by the act of ejecting from their planes.  Some people have
> said that some planes are designed such that the pilot must eject through
> a closed canopy.  It seems to me that a canopy designed to withstand
> air pressures of supersonic flight would be extremely difficult to
> punch through with a slow-moving seat, or head.  Does anyone out there
> have any real data on this?  Can a pilot survive a punch out through
> a canopy?

	Most modern, high-speed aircraft now have ejector seats which force
their way through the canopy.  This is necessary because at supersonic speeds
there is little time to wait for a canopy to be ejected clear from the aircraft
and then have the seat eject a second later.  It was deemed faster to simply
either destroy the canopy or to break through it.
	British aircraft are equipped with exploding canopies which have
detonating cord moulded into their clear plastic so that when the time to eject
comes this is exploded a split second before the seat is ejected from the
aircraft, clearing a way for it.  The det-cord appears as a thin black line in
the canopy and while partially obscuring vision for the pilot it is felt that
safety comes first (and anyway the argument runs, the pilot will be focusing on
objects in the middle and far distance and the det-cord will be nearly
invisible to him).
	Other nationalities tend to go for "canopy-cutters" atop the head rest
of the seat (basically a sharp edged structure which is designed to destroy the
canopy by brute force as the seat ejects) as they are uncomfortable with the
idea of several pounds of explosive within a few inches of the head of the
pilot.
	As to which is the better system, I think it is mainly horses for
courses.  Each airforce has its personal preference and believes its better
than the other's.  Both have disadvantages.  The det-cord has no backup if it
fails to destroy the canopy.  The canopy-cutters have the disadvantage that the
canopy has to be made weaker to allow them to work, and as such it is far less
resistant to other things, like birdstrike.

Brian Ross

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (02/06/91)

From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
bxr307@csc.anu.edu.au (Brian Ross) writes:
>> [quoting Alan Hepburn]
>> There's been talk recently about the injuries of the Allied POWs being
>> caused by the act of ejecting from their planes.  Some people have
>> said that some planes are designed such that the pilot must eject through
>> a closed canopy.  It seems to me that a canopy designed to withstand
>> air pressures of supersonic flight would be extremely difficult to
>> punch through with a slow-moving seat, or head.  Does anyone out there
>> have any real data on this?  Can a pilot survive a punch out through
>> a canopy?
>
>	Most modern, high-speed aircraft now have ejector seats which force
>their way through the canopy.
> [various excellent discussion of methods deleted]

Not that it qualifies as "high-speed" by most standards, but the mighty
S-3A Viking, carrier-based ASW jet, punches its four aircrew through the
canopy.  Though the canopy is rigged with "det cord," it is not used
in the ejection sequence (it is there only for the purpose of "blowing"
the canopy independent of ejection).

Instead, the top of the ejection seat is equipped with a "breaker bar"
which simply punches a hole in the canopy, about half a millisecond before
one's head.

I recall that this made me very, very nervous, but I know several men who've
done it, and it wasn't an issue.
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _,_J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson) (02/06/91)

From: pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson)
In article <1991Feb5.040231.3928@cbnews.att.com>, henry@zoo (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Ejection injuries, up to and including fractured vertebrae, are not at all
>uncommon.  Ejection is a very violent process, undertaken only when the
>alternative looks even worse.
Swedish Air Force pilots are grounded after a certain number of
ejections (I believe the number is three) since they are at to great a
risk of further spinal injuries.
(I think this only is applicable in peacetime).
--
Per Danielsson				pd@sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN

pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin) (02/07/91)

From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)

bxr307@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>	Most modern, high-speed aircraft now have ejector seats which force
>their way through the canopy.  This is necessary because at supersonic speeds
>there is little time to wait for a canopy to be ejected clear from the aircraft
>and then have the seat eject a second later.  It was deemed faster to simply
>either destroy the canopy or to break through it.

American aircraft tend to use the all clear bubble canopies, which in turn
leads to having the canopy blown off first, before ejection.  This is fine
for the clear blue sky ejection, but leads to possibly fatal delays in
low altitude flight.  It also leads to the possibility of a "Top Gun"
style accident, where a plane in a flat spin doesn't leave the canopy
behind, and the ejecting person slams into it.

Evidently, both the spin and the fatal ejection shown in "Top Gun" are
known problems with the F-14.

Personally, I'd prefer ejection seats with canopy cutters.  (Then again,
I'd probably prefer the "Escape Capsule" proposed for the F-111)

--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.       ! My employer does
The Romanian Orphans Support Group needs your help,      ! not stand by my

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (02/12/91)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Paul Tomblin wrote:

   Personally, I'd prefer ejection seats with canopy cutters.  (Then again,
   I'd probably prefer the "Escape Capsule" proposed for the F-111)

No, you wouldn't.  Even the Air Force claims that the capsule system
is inadequate and lead to too many injuries.  We've been testing some
improved parachutes for the F-111 (dropping capsules from our B-52).
Based on what they've seen in the testing, our pilots recommend _not_
flying in the F-111 (not that I've had any offers, mind you).

(It's not a proposed system--they've had the capsule since the original
prototype flew in the 60s.)

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (02/13/91)

From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)
shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:

>From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

>Paul Tomblin wrote:

>   Personally, I'd prefer ejection seats with canopy cutters.  (Then again,
>   I'd probably prefer the "Escape Capsule" proposed for the F-111)

>No, you wouldn't.  Even the Air Force claims that the capsule system
>is inadequate and lead to too many injuries.  We've been testing some
>improved parachutes for the F-111 (dropping capsules from our B-52).
>Based on what they've seen in the testing, our pilots recommend _not_
>flying in the F-111 (not that I've had any offers, mind you).

     It's worth pointing out that the B-1A was originally supposed to have
a capsule, but problems led to the substitution of conventional ejection seats.
I think the main problem was with the capsule's CG being in the wrong place.
     We've also tried encapsulating the individual seats in the XB-70, but that
didn't work well either; when XB-70 #1 went down, the pilot got his elbow
caught in the clamshell doors, and the capsule started rolling down a hill
after it hit the ground.
     All in all, I'd rather have a seat.

--------
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (02/15/91)

From: uunet!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak)

In article <1991Feb4.052511.15316@cbnews.att.com> voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!alan@decwrl.dec.com (Alan Hepburn) writes:

>It seems to me that a canopy designed to withstand
>air pressures of supersonic flight would be extremely difficult to
>punch through with a slow-moving seat, or head.  Does anyone out there
>have any real data on this?  Can a pilot survive a punch out through
>a canopy?

In a word -- yes. I've known one pilot who has. To get to the
ejection triggers in some type seats, you have to raise the
handles protecting the triggers. This is supposed to blow the
canopy. When you squeeze the trigger, the seat is supposed to go
a quarter of a second later. Hopefully the canopy is gone then.

The following is a partial description of my tour in T-33's
(high sub-sonic).
-----
Sitting in the seat, I noticed several things at once. For
starters, my knees were under the instrument panel. I wondered if
I would leave them behind in an ejection. We were told that the
seat tilted back before ejection, but I wasn't so sure.

Secondly, with the seat full down, there was about a half inch
between the top of my helmet and the canopy. I had to get used to
bending over forward before turning my head around. However, that
wasn't the worst of it. The ejection sequence was to raise the
handles, and squeeze the triggers. When you raise the handles,
the canopy blows. When you squeeze the triggers, the seat goes
one quarter of a second later. If the canopy doesn't blow,
squeeze the triggers anyway, and a quarter of a second later, the
seat will go. For this eventuality, the manufacturer mounted a
canopy breaker tool on the back of the seat to knock a hole for
the seat to go through. Unfortunately, the tool was located about
an inch lower than the top of my head.

Nonetheless, people bigger than me have gotten out of the T-33.
-----

If you eject under controlled conditions (that is, you have some control
over the aircraft -- e.g. you can point the top of the aircraft up),
your chances for survival are great. If you have to take what you can
get, your chances are diminished.

Generally, you want to pull back on the stick to get extra altitude, and
lose excess airspeed. Then you want to sit up straight, pull your elbows
in, tuck your feet in, and draw your feet and knees together. Then
eject.

Or, as they used to teach us. "Zoom, Assume, and Boom"

--
              Would any *sane* person express opinions like this?

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (02/20/91)

From: andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh)

In article <1991Feb15.065658.9396@cbnews.att.com> uunet!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak) writes:

[... Writing about T-33 ejection]

>Sitting in the seat, I noticed several things at once. For
>starters, my knees were under the instrument panel. I wondered if
>I would leave them behind in an ejection. We were told that the
>seat tilted back before ejection, but I wasn't so sure.

Ejection, as it was explained to me, forces you upward so fast, that
your feet fall toward the bottom of the seat, and are not sticking forward
to collide with the bottom of the instrument panel. I was told that I
should go ahead and TRY to kick the instrument panel on the way out, during
ejection training. I never hit it.

As far as knees being under the instrument panel, I would guess that that
was either a dangerous situation (i.e. you WOULD leave your knees), or the
forward edge of the seat pan would either tilt down or was short enough so
your knees would trail down the same as your feet. Such an ejection seat
design, it would seem to me, would lift you by the harness, instead of the
seat of the pants, thereby producing some rather nasty injuries,
considering where the straps would bind on you. :-)

A seat that tilts back? Maybe one that would slide back would clear the
knees, but I have yet to hear of a seat that does any maneuvering before
ejection. They spend a lot of time trying to find ways to get the pilot out
sooner. Why blow all that by adding a carnival ride prior to ejection? It's
easier to design the plane so everything clears. This is also why there are
size and weight restrictions on pilots. The part has to fit the machine.
--
Andrew C. Esh
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)
>We've also tried encapsulating the individual seats in the XB-70, but that
>didn't work well either...

In fairness, the XB-70 ejection capsules only got used once, which isn't
much of a statistical sample.  The B-58 had capsules, which allegedly
worked all right.  Aircraft intended for sustained supersonic speed really
*ought* to have capsules, because bare seats generally are not cleared for
use at supersonic speed.  (That's right -- all those Mach 2 fighters have
to slow to subsonic speeds before ejection or the warranty is void. :-))
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

urbanf@tuura.UUCP (Urban Fredriksson) (02/23/91)

From: urbanf@tuura.UUCP (Urban Fredriksson)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In fairness, the XB-70 ejection capsules only got used once, which isn't
>(That's right -- all those Mach 2 fighters have
>to slow to subsonic speeds before ejection or the warranty is void. :-))

    Not _all_. The seat in the J 35 Draken is cleared
    for supersonic ejection, and has been so for almost
    15 years. (They are not the same as in 1959.) It has
    been stated they are OK up to Mach 1.3.

| Urban Fredriksson |"You aren't late for the bus,   | I do NOT speak   |
| Stockholm, Sweden | you are early for the next."   | for my employer! |

wcarroll@jake.encore.com (02/23/91)

From: wcarroll@jake.encore.com
From jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)

>     We've also tried encapsulating the individual seats in the XB-70, but that
>didn't work well either; when XB-70 #1 went down, the pilot got his elbow
>caught in the clamshell doors, and the capsule started rolling down a hill
>after it hit the ground.

The Dec 90/Jan 91 issue of Air&Space/Smithsonian had a piece on the last
flight of XB-70 #1. The REAL interesting part is that the author is Al
White, the pilot for that flight.

William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll
"This comment without commentary is not the view of the staff or management
of WKPX, the Broward County School Board, ... or even me." - KZ