[sci.military] book sources

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) (02/27/91)

From: "SANDE WALLFESH" <wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil>
Once upon a time (sometime last fall, actually), I wrote:

> Since I often find myself either looking for a specific title or
> just wishing to browse, and think that there is sufficient interest
> in this forum, I want to compile a comprehensive list of sources
> for military books. While I'd like to concentrate primarily on book
> stores which offer mail-order catalogues, I'm also curious about book
> clubs and good book stores lacking catalogues.
>
> Please let me know -- via *MAIL* rather than posting -- if you know
> of any such military book sources. In addition to including information
> such as place name, address, and perhaps phone number, please also
> specify whether or not that place has a catalogue and, if possible,
> include that store's/club's area(s) of focus (e.g. strategies and
> tactics, aviation, artillery and ordnance, various naval categories,
> tanks and armoured vehicles, espionage and intelligence, specific wars,
> particular time periods, etc.), and any comments that you think will
> be useful.
>
> After collating and condensing the responses, I'll post the results.

Here's what I've found thus far. If anyone knows of any sources for books
that are not listed here, please let me know!

Sande

   Saundra K. Wallfesh   |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
     Dynamics Research   |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring '89

BOOK SOURCES

AeroFax Inc.
P.O. Box 200006
Arlington, TX 76006
(214) 647-1105
(800) 733-AFAX

AeroFax specializes in aviation books and they offer both their own books
and some from other publishers, usually at discounted prices. Their newest
titles are AeroFax Extras on the F-117, MiG-29, and SU-27. A price list is
available. Also, "AEROFAX NEWS" is free with an order or $5 without an order.

AFCEA International Press
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
4400 Fair Lakes Court
Fairfax, VA 22033-3899
(800) 336-4583

"AFCEA International Press books document research and present the insights
of leaders in national security on nearly every aspect of the strategies,
technologies, and theories of using C3I and automated information systems to
focus military combat power. Finally, policy makers, managers, engineers,
developers, testers, and users have a reference library to call their own."

Aviation Book Company
25133 Anza Dr.
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Aviation Book Company offers military and general aviation titles in their
free catalogue of aviation books and videos. In addition to books, they've
got other odds 'n' ends. The "magic mug", for instance: when hot liquid is
poured into it, the F-117A disappears from the side showing a radar scope
and reappears on the mug's other side.

Battery Press
P.O. Box 3107
Uptown Station
Nashville, TN 37219

Battery Press publishes unit histories, airborne/elite books, WWI and WWII
titles, USMC monographs, and combat videos. List available upon request.

Brassey's (US) Inc.
8000 Westpark Drive
McLean, VA 22102-3101

A sister book company of Armed Forces Journal International, Brassey's
offers a catalogue. The areas in which they publish are defense and foreign
policy; Soviet studies; military history; strategy, tactics, and military
affairs; and weapons, equipment, and technology.

Cloak & Dagger Publications
P.O. Box 83
Hooper, UT 84315

Cloak & Dagger publishes six books: "Military Intelligence," "Badges of
the Soviet Armed Forces," "A History of the German Secret Services and
British Counter Measures," "Enemy Sabotage Equipment," "OSS Weapons," and
"Night Movements." In addition, they have a variety of merchandise
available with logos from establishments such as the CIA, KGB, Secret
Service, Air America, MAC-V-SOG, etc. Some of their rubber stamps (e.g.,
"TOP SECRET") may be considered to be much more humorous in some environments
than in others. Catologue price: $2.00, refundable with first order.

Fusion Video
17214 South Oak Park Ave.
Tinley Park, IL 60477

Fusion features dozens of videos on several military history and technology
themes. They also sell classic films such as "Twelve O'Clock High" and
"Tora! Tora! Tora!". Catalogue is free with order, unsure otherwise about
its availability.

International Historic Films
Box 29035
Chicago, IL 60629

International Historic Films' catalogue, available for $1.00, lists over
300 videos which, they claim, show "all major 20th Century wars".

Military Book Club
6550 East 30th St.
P.O. Box 6357
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6357

The Military Book Club offers four books for $0.98 plus shipping and
handling with an obligation of four books to be purchased within two
years. They have titles in a variety of different areas, many at discounts.

The Military Bookman
29 East 93rd St.
New York, NY 10128
(212) 348-1280

The Military Bookman sells a variety of out-of-print and rare books. A
two-year subscription to their catalogue (six issues) subscription costs
$10.00. After that time, they'll continue to send the catalogue to those
who purchase their books.

MoonBeam Press
P.O. Box 149
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510

In their soon to be released winter catalogue, MoonBeam Press features
some military books and memorabilia. One such book deals with "nose art"
of WWII aircraft. MoonBeam Press will also offer "Memphis Belle" and "Air
America" memorabilia. MoonBeam Press also carries espionage/intelligence
publications and memorabilia. Their catalog, however, is more related to
radio (shortwave/ham/scanner) publications as well as computer books and
software. Cost: $2.00, refundable with first offer.

Paul Gaudette Books
2050 East 17th St.
Tuscin, AZ 85719
1-800-366-7323

Large selection of both new and used WWII aviation books; catalogue $1.00.

Pierce Butler Publishing
801 Pierce Butler Rt.H
St. Paul, MN 55104

Ad in _Military History_ offers combat documentaries, WWII aircraft
training, and historic battles on video. Free catalogue available.

Presidio Press
31 Pamaron Way
Novato, CA 94949-6255
(415) 883-1373

Presidio's ads in magazines like "Air Force Magazine" and "Military
History" claim that they are "America's foremost publisher of military
history." The titles they show in their ads cover topics such as aviation,
leadership, carriers, antiterrorism, and general military history.

Q.M. Dabney & Co. Inc.
Box 42026
Washington, D.C. 20015

Ad in _Air Classics_ says that have "old, used, rare, and out-of-print
books on WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc." Catalogue costs $1.00.

Ron R. Van Sickle Military Books
P.O. Box 2419
Gaithersburg, MD 20886-2419

Rare and out-of-print books and pamplets. Ad in _Military History_ says
they specialize in campaign studies, battle narratives, bibliographies,
manuals, and units histories from all periods and places. Air, land, and
sea. Catalogues, which are mailed first class, cost $2.00.

S. Carwin & Sons Ltd.
P.O. Box 147
Canoga Park, CA 91304

Ad in _Air Classics_ lists "action and data-packed titles" in the areas
of aircraft, armor, ships, military history, etc. Does not specify whether
catalogue is available, but it would be worth finding out.

Stackpole Books
P.O. Box 1831
Harrisburg, PA 17105

While Stackpole publishes many non-military books, they offer the Osprey
"Men-at-Arms", "Elite", "Vanguard", "Combat Aircraft", and "Campaign"
series of books. Most of their other military titles are professionally
oriented. Catalogue available.

US Naval Institute Press
Annapolis, MD 21402

The US Naval Institute Press has a catalogue available free of charge.
USNI Press has several ardent fans who provided rave reviews (e.g.,"This
is THE source of naval history books today.").

Zenith Books
P.O. Box 1
Osceola, WI 54020
(800) 826-6600

Zenith Books publishes a large catalogue whose cover, which currently shows
an F-86 and a MiG-15, says "world's best selection of aviation, modeling,
R/C, military books and videos." Aviation, military aviation in particular,
dominates their catalog.