[sci.military] They're not old, just middle aged

IO80914%MAINE.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (Sloth) (02/27/91)

From: Sloth <IO80914%MAINE.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu>
>  Alan Hepburn
>> Mary Shafer

>>The F-117 is really a replacement for the F-111 and the B-2 is a
>>replacement for the B-52, so think of it in this way.

>Actually, I don't think we will ever see a replacement for the ole BUFF.
>Congress should declare the B-52 an endangered species and make it
>a felony for anyone to damage or destroy one.  :-)

Don't laugh. An article from JDW stated that, "it is now estimated that
with continued modifications the plane can remain on active duty until
2035, 80 years after the first B-52 was delivered to the Air Force."

Why not keep them another 45 years? Given the advances in munitions
guidance & delivery, saturation bombing may become obsolete in a few
decades (if it's not already). There's no reason to waste money on a
new heavy bomber when we already have a perfectly capable one that will
most likely outlive the mission it was designed for.

Malcolm Fuller                     Email: io00672@maine.bitnet
Surveying Engineering Department          malcolmf@mecan1.bitnet
University of Maine

       Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietam Servitutem