[sci.military] "Dusters"

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (02/27/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

I've seen pictures of vehicals used in Vietnam I believe were called "Dusters".
They were M-48 tanks with twin Grendade launchers replacing the main gun (and
looking something like the Sgt. York).

I was wondering if any of those are still lying around somewhere?  They would
seem like a good weapon to have in the Gulf against light armor and equipment/
people concentrations.

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy

[mod.note: That's the M-42 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun System
(Duster).  According the Jane's, it is a unique chassis, not based
on the M-48.  It carries two 40mm cannon, not grenade launchers and is
apparently manually aimed; no radar-control.  As of 1976, US service
was limited to reserves, and the last of 3700 vehicles had been built
in 1957.
	I would bet that a Bradley would be more effective in the roles you
specify than a Duster would be. - Bill ]

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (02/28/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
In article v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) writes...
>I was wondering if any of those are still lying around somewhere?  They would
>seem like a good weapon to have in the Gulf against light armor and equipment/
>people concentrations.

In early August, I saw about a battalion strenght of Dusters in Camp
Perry which is a National Guard training camp.

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (02/28/91)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

>[mod.note: That's the M-42 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun System
>(Duster).  According the Jane's, it is a unique chassis, not based

I disagree, the Duster's chassis is not unique at all, it fact it
has the chassis of the M-41 (Walker Bulldog) light tank.

>	I would bet that a Bradley would be more effective in the roles you
>specify than a Duster would be. - Bill ]

You are probably right there, not only is manually aimed, it was manually
loaded with clips of five rounds

--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:+(61)-7-365-2697 (w)