[sci.military] US 5-star generals

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) (02/26/91)

From: carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll)
Can anyone tell me about 5 star generals in the US?  In particular,
can you only become a ***** during wartime? Does a ***** get demoted
after the war, or does he keep his rank? What is the relation between
the Chairman of the JCS and a *****? How many stars do Powell and
Schwarzkopf have? (The seem to only have 4 on their collars, but I'm
not sure). Thanks!

--
Alan M. Carroll                "I hate shopping with the reality-impaired"
Epoch Development Team                 - Susan

parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (02/27/91)

From: parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu
In article <1991Feb26.012607.6828@cbnews.att.com>, carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) writes:
> Can anyone tell me about 5 star generals in the US?  In particular,
> can you only become a ***** during wartime? Does a ***** get demoted
> after the war, or does he keep his rank? What is the relation between
> the Chairman of the JCS and a *****? How many stars do Powell and
> Schwarzkopf have? (The seem to only have 4 on their collars, but I'm
> not sure). Thanks!

	Generals seem to become five star either during or shortly after
wartime.  There really isn't a need for them in peacetime because the
army isn't large enough to go that high in the command structure.  During
WWII we had four: Marshall, Arnold, Eisenhower, and Mac Arthur.  In 1949,
I think, Bradley was given that rank, also.  Five stars keep there rank,
lower ranks are sometimes only temporary raises in rank.  I had also heard
that five stars are never removed from active lists while alive, whether
they're doing army work or not, though I'm not certain of this.
	Powell and Schwarzkopf are indeed ****'s.  The last five was
Omar Bradley, who passed away in 1984, at I seem to remember 88 years
of age.

___ Gregg Parmentier ____ parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu ___

        "I waited in the dim hallway on a high-backed Spanish
        chair which Torquemada had made with his own hands."
                                        Ross Macdonald - Black Money

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (02/27/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>Can anyone tell me about 5 star generals in the US?

"5-star general" is not customary in the United States; and this have
caused some problems, especially when an American general is in charge
of a multi-national forces.

Often an American general leads multi-national forces.  General Eisenhower
led the allied invasion of Normandy during World War II.  Currently,
General Schwarzkopf is leading the multi-national forces in the Gulf
War.

European forces (Great Britain, France, & Germany) have their Field
Marshalls;  United States doesn't have any.  Field Marshalls rank just
below the Commander in Chief.

>can you only become a ***** during wartime?

Apparently so.

>Does a ***** get demoted after the war, or does he keep his rank?

Omar Bradley remained as a 5-star general until his death.  He was the
last 5-star general in the United States Army.

>What is the relation between the Chairman of the JCS and a *****?

I really do not know.

>How many stars do Powell and Schwarzkopf have?  (The seem to only have
>4 on their collars, but I'm not sure).

You are right; they have only four stars.  There has been a talk of
their being promoted to five-stars, but I do not know if anything will
come out of it.

Steve Williams               |  "An expert is a person who has made all the
Department of the Navy       |  mistakes which can be made in a very narrow
David Taylor Research Center |  field."     -- Niels Bohr, Danish Scientist

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/27/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll)
> Can anyone tell me about 5 star generals in the US?  In particular,
> can you only become a ***** during wartime?

  The answer is no.  Congress, in fact, authroizes the numbers of officers
  in grades - and would 'authorize' the rank of 5-star.  Today - there are
  none - and not exptected to be any created.

> Does a ***** get demoted
> after the war, or does he keep his rank?

  No he wouldn't.  Officers don't get "demoted".  There used to be (WWII -
  Korea) and grade structure of "temporary" and "permanent" grades.  After
  WWII and Korea, officers were "returned" to their permanent grades - normally
  one or two grades below their "temporary" grade.  They wouldn't get
  'demoted' and they would keep their rank.

> How many stars do Powell and
> Schwarzkopf have? (The seem to only have 4 on their collars, but I'm
> not sure).

  Powell and Schwarzkopf are both 4-star Generals - the highest rank
  currently authorized.   Powell, as Chairman, JCS is Schwarzkopf's
  "boss" because Central Command is probably a "joint" specified command
  (staffed by all services) thereby reporting to JCS and not the Army Chief
  of Staff.

  Operational chains of command can be very dynamic.

  During Vietnam, Westmoreland's immediate supervisor was Admiral Ulysses
  S. Grant Sharp, Commander-in-Chief Pacific Command, Hawaii - not JCS.

  mike schmitt

welty@sol.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (02/28/91)

From: welty@sol.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

>From: carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll)
>Can anyone tell me about 5 star generals in the US?  In particular,
>can you only become a ***** during wartime?

not exactly.  the US for a long time had a thing about having high
ranking military officers; we didn't want them.  Washington's highest
rank in his lifetime, to my knowledge, was Lieutenant General (our
current 3 star rank.)  the next one to come along was Grant, who was
specially promoted after Vicksburg.  eventually Grant was given 4 stars,
and Sherman received the three star rank.  when Grant retired to run for
President, Sherman ascended to 4 stars, and Sheridan received 3 (there
was considerable resentment, as it was felt that many Major Generals
such as Meade, Thomas, etc., should have been promoted to 3 stars at
the same time as Sheridan.)  when Sherman retired, Sheridan received
4 stars.  after Sheridan's death, such ranks were not continued, and
2 stars became the highest rank generally given.

during WWI, Pershing received an unusual rank, General of the Armies;
this title was not reused (my recollection was that another unusual
rank was posthumuously given to Washington, but i could be wrong on
this.)

it became the practice that *temporary* 4 star rank would be
given to the chief of staff of the army, but that the rank would
revert to 2 stars on completion of the tour of duty in that job.
this was the situation entering WWII.

with the commencement of WWII, the US Army became so large, that
3 and 4 star ranks were reinstituted.  towards the end of the war,
congress (urged primarily by the Navy; the Army was somewhat cool to
the idea) decided to institute 5 star ranks for Admirals and Generals;
only select officers received such ranks.  it was not possible for
an officer with 5 stars to retire; congress had to pass a special act
so that George Marshall could serve as Secretary of Defense, as active
duty officers are not normally permitted to take that job, and as
a 5 star general, he could not retire.

> Does a ***** get demoted
>after the war, or does he keep his rank?

5 stars is a rank indicating special regard, and is not something
that would be revoked.

>What is the relation between
>the Chairman of the JCS and a *****?

never been an issue.  orders come from washington (although MacArthur
didn't always agree.)

>How many stars do Powell and
>Schwarzkopf have? (The seem to only have 4 on their collars, but I'm
>not sure). Thanks!

4.  i believe that Omar Bradley was the last officer promoted to
5 stars, back when he was Chairman of the JCS during the Korean War.

richard
--
richard welty                                       welty@sol.crd.ge.com
    518-393-7228, Infologic, 1400 Balltown Road, Niskayuna, New York

brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account) (02/28/91)

From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account)

In article <1991Feb26.012607.6828@cbnews.att.com> carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) writes:
>How many stars do Powell and
>Schwarzkopf have? (The seem to only have 4 on their collars, but I'm
>not sure). Thanks!

Yes they are both currently ****, but a recent bill was introduced
to make each a *****.  This was done because some allied commanders
technically out rank them both (I think the Saudi Commander is a
*****).

Brian Douglass			Voice: 702-361-1510 X311
Electronic Data Technologies	FAX #: 702-361-2545
1085 Palms Airport Drive	brian@edat.uucp
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715
--
Brian Douglass			brian@edat.uucp
"Do you know what Saddam Hussein and his father have in common?"

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/28/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

> ................................................Five stars keep there rank,
> lower ranks are sometimes only temporary raises in rank.  I had also heard
> that five stars are never removed from active lists while alive, whether
> they're doing army work or not, though I'm not certain of this.

  There are no more 'temporary' officer grades.  Once an officer is promoted
  he remains in that grade - until promoted or retired.  When there were
  5-star generals alive - yes, they remained on the active duty list.
  However, generals (star/flag ranks) are always subject to recall to
  active duty by the Secretary of the Army (or service) at any time.
  In fact, all regular army officers who 'retire' are subject to recall
  to active duty.

  It will be interesting to see the 'heroes' that come out of the gulf war -
  the careers that are 'made' and the officers who 'advance' in rank and
  assignment.  And, those that were not present - will fall in step behind
  those that were.  The top heirarchy of the Army will soon consist of the
  gulf-veterans.  Some recent examples:

  When Westmoreland was Army Chief of Staff - the top jobs were occupied by
  "Airborne" cronies.  Under Creighton Abrams, "Armor" generals had the
  best commands.

  After Vietnam, it seemed that the 1st Infantry Division commanders occupied
  all the top jobs - Bernard Rogers, DuPuy, Fuller, et al.

  Then came Meyers, and the NATO complexion - and up to just recently, all
  the plum jobs went to 'European/NATO experienced' officers.

  In a few short years, the brigade/division/corps commanders of the gulf war
  will occupy the best command and staff positions.

  mike schmitt

   "We're going to go around them, over them, through them and under them."
                                                     - General Schwartzkopf