[sci.military] Aircraft Maintenance

lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCOA1::LENOCHS) (02/21/91)

From: "DRCOA1::LENOCHS" <lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>

    Several postings have been seen recently discussing aircraft
    maintenance policies and procedures.  I thought I'd throw my two cents
    in.

    I have been working in the computerized record keeping of aircraft
    maintenance for the AF both in an out of the service for about 10 years
    now.  Some of the standard things recorded for a single flight are:
    -	 start and stop times
    -	 type mission
    -	 number of landing gear cycles
    -	 rounds fired
    -	 discrepancies noted by the pilot/GIB (guy in back)
    -	 engine statistics (some are high temp of flight, flameouts, high
         RPM of flight
    -	 number of landings (touch and go counts one each time - tracked
         for tire and landing gear wear)
    -	 number of full-stop landings (brake pads, drogue parachute wear)
    -	 for a prototype system built for AH-64As, we also tracked the
         number of hours the crew wore night vision devices and the job
         description of the crew members (IP, etc), because we also would
         print the flight crew records.

    Other things tracked are:

    -	 maintenance action start and stop times
    -	 how malfunctioned codes
    -	 when discovered codes
    -	 action taken
    -	 crew size
    -	 serially controlled parts removed/installed
    -	 bits and pieces removed/installed
    -	 cannibalization
    -	 phased maintenance accomplishment (overhaul)
    -	 support general actions (washing, pre-flight, post-flight,
         thru-flight inspections, fueling, etc)
    -	 time change requirements (replace the engine oil after 50 hours,
         or replace gun barrel after 10000 rounds fired, as examples)
    -	 inspection requirements
    -	 emergency actions (ground the fleet, inspect wings for cracks).

    Some of the systems I've worked with (I worked with six different
    systems) are more sophisticated than others; some will schedule the
    example.

    Some systems perform the same maintenance tracking for the ground
    support equipment used on the aircraft (tracking maintenance on
    avionics test stations).

    But the goal of all of these systems is trend and failure analysis.
    These systems use the collected data to determine if particular items
    are performing as expected.  One system was used by General Dynamics to
    fix an F-16 problem.  The manager at GD looked at a months worth of
    'RTOK' results (re-test OK), and determined that the socket the black
    box is plugged into on the test station and the socket on the aircraft
    had different failure thresholds (the test station was designed to take
    more abuse, since boxes are plugged in and out all day long).

    Currently, only the F-117As and the F-16s from Torrejon AB in Spain
    have online data reporting and analysis in the Gulf (that I know of).
    All the other aircraft depend on mailing the paper forms back to their
    units for data entry.

    Well, now that I've bored everybody...........

    Loyd M. Enochs (ex-USAF)
    Dynamics Research Corp
    Andover, MA 01810

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (02/23/91)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

Much deleted.

<
<    Currently, only the F-117As and the F-16s from Torrejon AB in Spain
<    have online data reporting and analysis in the Gulf (that I know of).
<    All the other aircraft depend on mailing the paper forms back to their
<    units for data entry.

	Fifteen-twenty years ago I had a friend working on a similar
program for tracking maintainance of jeeps & trucks to get a handle on
what their replacement life might be.  Data had to be transcribed from
paper records to punched cards.  Stock numbers and mileage were a big
problem, either ellegible or wrong.  At that time they had not succeeded
in tracking a vehicle to junking before the records were so messed up
they had to abandon the effort.

								Irv

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) (02/26/91)

From: "SANDE WALLFESH" <wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil>

Irv Chidsey (chidsey@smoke.brl.mil) writes:

> [Quotes from Loyd Enochs (lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil) on systems
>  for trend and failure analysis deleted.]
>
>	Fifteen-twenty years ago I had a friend working on a similar
> program for tracking maintainance of jeeps & trucks to get a handle on
> what their replacement life might be.  Data had to be transcribed from
> paper records to punched cards.  Stock numbers and mileage were a big
> problem, either ellegible or wrong.  At that time they had not succeeded
> in tracking a vehicle to junking before the records were so messed up
> they had to abandon the effort.

That sounds like it was quite an effort! Irv's friend would have undoubtedly
benefitted from barcode scanning, small handheld computers (CALS compliant,
of course), and other technologies that weren't available in the days when
punched cards reigned. For instance, many artificial intelligence techniques
have moved from the laboratory to the depot (and to other places!) where
they can save time, trouble, and paperwork.

Recently, I received an announcement for an upcoming conference, Artificial
Intelligence Applications for Military Logistics. The conference features a
session just on maintenance diagnostics and it includes:

	- Knowledge Based Systems Role in Maintenance Diagnostics
	- A Data Fusion Approach to Integrated Diagnostics
	- A Poor Performance Item Expert
	- Expert Systems for Military Hardware Diagnostics
	- Integration of Neural Network and Expert Systems for Diagnostics
		and Prognostics
	- Application of Multimedia Expert Systems to the Test Environment

Knowledge Based Systems Role in Maintenance Diagnostics, presented by WPAFB,
is going to discuss reducing "retest OK" and "can not duplicate" problems
with model based systems technology.

During the conference's session on technology, there's a presentation on
Applications of Neural Networks to Onboard Maintenance Diagnostics. It will
describe a method for employing neural nets to address intermittent in-flight
failures which often result in "can not duplicate" or "retest OK". Solutions
to these problems, they say, can eliminate up to 50% of the maintenance
activity for high performance fighters.

Sande

P.S. Readers of sci.military might be interested in "Artificial Intelligence
and National Defense: Applications to C3I and Beyond," edited by Stephen J.
Andriole, published by AFCEA International Press in 1987.

   Saundra K. Wallfesh   |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
     Dynamics Research   |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring 1989

lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCOA1::LENOCHS) (03/01/91)

From: "DRCOA1::LENOCHS" <lenochs%drcoa1.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>
    While the war was going on, several postings were made concerning the
    organization of various military units.  I didn't see one for the USAF,
    so I thought I'd post this.

    MAJCOM - Major Air Command.  These are functionally based groupings of
    units.  They are:
    AFCC     AF Communications Command - provides, operates and maintains
             telecommunications and air traffic control facilities for the
             AF and other agencies.  Also provides software and hardware
             support for data processing equipment.  Does programming for
             day-to-day business functions at the Standard Systems Center
             in Montgomery, AL.
    AFLC     AF Logistics Command - provide logistics support for the AF
             and the military assistance program.  Controls procurement and
             acquisitions.  Acts as program manager for mature systems.
             Control movement of supplies.  Repair assets.  (If on the
             Fortune 500, AFLC would be number 3.)
    AFSC     AF Systems Command - R&D arm of the AF.  Take technology and
             make it practical.  Acts as program manager for developing
             systems.  Runs Edwards (aircraft development) and Eglin
             (armament development).
    ATC      Air Training Command - guess what?  These folks do the
             training!  ATC is responsible for Basic Training (held in
             beautiful, metropolitain, downtown San Antonio), and technical
             training (done both at 'schools' and in the field.  They also
             do the recruiting and run ROTC.
    AU       Air University - AU runs the professional military education
             programs for NCOs and officers.  AU runs the OJT program for
             all job descriptions AF-wide (including printing - they have
             an *enormous* printing plant in Montgomery AL).  AU also does
             the in-house think tank stuff.
    AAC	     Alaskan Air Command - self explanatory
    ESC	     Electronic Security Command - all the electronic warfare types
             work for ESC, including crypto and intercept types.
    MAC	     Military Airlift Command - transport, weather, rescue, special
             ops, medevac and the Aerospace Audiovisual service (I have no
             clue as to how MAC relates to that).
    PACAF    Pacific Air Forces - self-explanatory.
    SPACECMD Space Command - formed to control US military space
             activities.  Commander is also CinC NORAD.
    SAC	     Strategic Air Command - the big bomber and recce folks (peace
             our profession, war is just our hobby).
    TAC	     Tactical Air Command - the fighters not assigned to PACAF, AAC
             or USAFE and all tankers (and boy, did TAC and SAC duke it out
             over *THAT* one!!)
    USAFE    United States Air Forces, Europe - you guessed it!!

    In order of precedence:

    MAJCOM
      NUMBERED AIR FORCE
        WING
    	  GROUP
    	    SQUADRON
    	      FLIGHT
     	 	ELEMENT

    I'd love to explain how things are organized on a generic basis, but
    there are too many variations to let me do so (besides, others are
    knowledgable on the subject and I don't like to get *too* badly
    flamed), but this is how the 'typical' fighter wing looked in 1987:

    50 TFW, Hahn AB, Germany

    ---> Deputy Commander for Maintenance (DCM)
    |	 |
    |	 ---> 50th Equipment Maintenance Squadron (50 EMS)
    |	 ---> 50th Componant Repair Squadron (50 CRS)
    |	 ---> 50th Aircraft Generation Squadron (50 AGS)
    |	      |
    |	      |-->  10th Aircraft Maintenance Unit (10 AMU)
    |	      |--> 313th Aircraft Maintenance Unit (313 AMU)
    |	      ---> 496th Aircraft Maintenance Unit (496 AMU)

    ---> Deputy Commander for Operations (DO)
    	      |-->  10th Tactical Fighter Squadron (10 TFS)
    	      |--> 313th Tactical Fighter Squadron (313 TFS)
    	      ---> 496th Tactical Fighter Squadron (496 TFS)

    Other squadrons also exist on base, such as Supply, the Combat Support
    Group (personnel, finance, etc), Transportation, which "belong" to the
    wing and are numbered 50th.

    Communications is handled by AFCC, so the comm squadron has a different
    number (1976th??).

    Anyhow, there it is.

    Loyd M. Enochs (ex-USAF) - Dynamics Research Corporation - Andover, MA