[sci.military] Pershing IIs/5-star Generals

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (03/01/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From: ucc1q@jetson.uh.edu (A JETSON News User)
> When a scud would launch we locate
> the launch site with radar systems, feed coordinates into the Pershing and
> launch. This way the Patriots get the SCUDs and the Pershing get the
>launchers. Would have been nice if the Pershing also had a thermal tracker.
> The thermal signature left by a scud launch on the launch site would be
> large.

Would a Pershing II accomplish anything that a Lance missile couldn't?
I don't have my references handy, but I believe the Lance has a range
comparable to the Al-Hussein modified Scud.  Of course, this is assuming
you could even get a sufficient radar-lock to determine the launch site
within a reasonable error.  A more efficient approach is the one utilized
by the Coalition forces -- the airborne Scud patrol.  When the meteorolog-
ical radar accompanying the Scud battery lights up to determine ballistic
conditions, radar detectors on the air platforms point out the position
of the battery, which is then prosecuted.  This method has the advantage
of target discrimination -- especially with regard to heat signatures.  If
an infrared seeker head were to be fitted to the allied missile, it's much
more likely to detect and engage the hot ground where the mobile launcher
was a few minutes prior than the transporter erector/launcher speeding off
in the distance....

-----

On a side note, I was recently talking to a friend of mine who had spent
a number of years in the Army.  He said there was actually a SIX-star
general in the U.S. Army at one time.

Apparently, during the Mexican Campaigns, General Pershing (a three-star,
then the highest rank in the U.S. -- four- and five-stars didn't come
about until WWII) had a penchant for wearing his stars on both his collar
and his epaulets.  One particular photo made this appear as if he were
wearing six stars!  Enjoying this appearance, he maintained the practice.

-shane

p.s.  A final note -- my friend asked me about the historical evolution
	of the "Field Marshal," and how it relates to various national
	command authorities in the past.  Are there ever more than one
	in an army, like in Napoleonic times when a general was placed
	in command of a region as both a military and political leader?
	Could MacArthur be called a FM from his administrative authority
	over Japan following WWII?  Thanx for the input.