[sci.military] Using up obsolete stocks

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (02/26/91)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
The list references to the Lance caused me to think about the opportunity
the Gulf war is giving us to actually use up weaponry that would otherwise
just be scrapped and surplussed. What with all the MLRS bombardments we've
seen, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity to fire off all the Lance
missles with conventional warheads we have in the inventory? If they are
not in the current operational inventory, surely some of the activated
Reserve or Nat'l Guard units have personnel who were trained on and used
the Lance during their active duty, and thus we would have a source of
experienced personnel to fire them. Wouldn't it be far more
cost-effective to use up these and any other equivalent
previous-generation weapon systems as opposed to retiring them unused?
Basically, we'd just have to pay the cost of shipping them to the Gulf;
the actual cost of the weapons themselves could be considered nil.

It makes me wish the timing of this had coincided more closely with the
scrapping of the Pershing missles. We wasted all of those by static
firing and unproductive launches as a result of the treaty with the
Soviets to reduce the IRBM forces. Makes me wish we could have used
them with conventional warheads in this war, maybe with the Soviets
bringing their equivalents to the Turkish border and lobbing them into
Iraq from the North. What better way to use them up? (We probably could
have gotten Turkey to agree to the overflights... :-)

What else have we got filling warehouses and in old pre-positioned war
reserve stocks that would fit in this scenario? I suppose missiles are
the best bet... Or have we peddled just about all of our preceeding-
generation hardware to other countries and don't really have much in
this category?

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>... wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity to fire off all the Lance
>missles with conventional warheads we have in the inventory?

Trouble is, a conventional-warhead Lance is about as militarily useful
as a Scud.  That is, not very.  Conventional-warhead ballistic missiles,
with the possible exception of Pershing 2 with its terminal-homing head,
have always been toys for public-relations value rather than practical
weapons.  Like Scud, Lance is effective only with a nuclear or chemical
warhead.  It simply isn't accurate enough to put a conventional warhead
within lethal range of anything.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

styri@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Yu No Hoo) (03/01/91)

From: styri@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Yu No Hoo)

In article <1991Feb26.012713.7033@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:

>The list references to the Lance caused me to think about the opportunity
>the Gulf war is giving us to actually use up weaponry that would otherwise
>just be scrapped and surplussed. [...]

i guess the fact that Iraq had older weapons than the allied forces didn't
contribute to the result of the gulf war. ;->  (not to mention the effect
on morale such politics would have.)

Haakon Styri
Dept. of Comp. Sci.              ARPA: styri@cs.hw.ac.uk
Heriot-Watt University          X-400: C=gb;PRMD=uk.ac;O=hw;OU=cs;S=styri
Edinburgh, Scotland