[sci.military] F117 Rehash: was One plane vs. many; F-117's; Wild Weasels

greg@Veritas.COM (Greg Sudderth) (02/28/91)

From: greg@Veritas.COM (Greg Sudderth)
In article <1991Feb26.012826.7245@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL
(Will Martin) writes:
>Now, whether it is a *good idea* to use the F-117 as a nuke platform is
>a completely different question.
	As far as I know, the B6* series of gravity nukes are compatible.
	They are from the Century fighter days, and were compatible with
	F105 (in the early 60's idea of low-level-nuke regime) and other
	various birds such as the Vulcan.  I don't know about the B8*.
	Both are advertised as carryable on the B2.
>As the in the previous long discussion of
>how an F-117 would be a lousy Wild Weasel platform, the unique
	Not to restart the whole discussion, but, antenna/electronics
	issues aside (can you say "lots-o-internal space required"?), is
	there any reason you can't use a controllable set of reflectors,
	or a transponder to attract SAM/Ground Radar attention?  If you
	know the freq.s, and the modulation schemes, then can't you
	"transpond" with effectively low power and high effectiveness?
	I've heard that on-board power is a major issue in the Weasel
	configuration, namely you need a lot more.

	Could a physical reflector be as simple-looking as a speed brake?
	On the B52 I know its relatively easy, just open the bomb-bay
	doors. :)

	My major point is that it seems EXTREMELY desirable to be able to
	"stealth" yourself after firing the HARM/ARM/Shrike, when you
	"turn and boogie".  Its my understanding that you often have
	"teased" the SAM into firing, and that missile is on its way
	to you. Is there anything obvious that precludes the 117 from
	this mission?
--
Greg Sudderth - VERITAS Software   -/   Kiss - Lights - Valentine - Fix - Burn
greg@veritas.com         ...  o.    \-

brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account) (03/01/91)

From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account)

In article <1991Feb28.053607.11485@cbnews.att.com> greg@Veritas.COM (Greg Sudderth) writes:

>	My major point is that it seems EXTREMELY desirable to be able to
>	"stealth" yourself after firing the HARM/ARM/Shrike, when you
>	"turn and boogie".  Its my understanding that you often have
>	"teased" the SAM into firing, and that missile is on its way
>	to you. Is there anything obvious that precludes the 117 from
>	this mission?

Wild Weasel missions as far as being the tease are the antitheses
of what the F-117 was designed for.  It is designed to take out
high value targets that are heavily defended.  There is no doubt
that it can sneak in, pickup any EM from SAMs and maybe drop a bomb
on it, but as far as being the tease to get the battery to open up,
that is best left to other planes.  The F117 is ideal for C3, not
SAM batteries.

--
Brian Douglass			brian@edat.uucp
"Do you know what Saddam Hussein and his father have in common?"