[sci.military] Tank survival

denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste) (02/28/91)

From: denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste)

Well, real numbers are beginning to emerge in the news reports, and it is
looking more and more like a Russian tank is merely a coffin on tracks.

There were those two A-10 pilots who flew three sorties each on Monday (2/24)
and got a combined total of 23 kills using A-to-S missiles. (That's damned
good shooting considering that they only carried 24 missiles total.)

Meanwhile, they're not announcing ANY losses on our side except a few foot
soldiers killed in a mine field (and those poor bastards killd by
the SCUD). I suppose I understand that - no point in telling the Iraqis how
much of OUR stuff THEY'VE killed, but it leaves me curious:

I simply don't believe that we haven't lost a single tank or APC. (I would not
be surprised to hear that the losses are extremely one sided since we do
have air supremacy and the A-10's are performing better than anyone could
have hoped - even their designers!)

Any conjecture as to how many tanks and/or APC's we might have lost?

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/01/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

>From: denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste)
>
>I simply don't believe that we haven't lost a single tank or APC.
>
>Any conjecture as to how many tanks and/or APC's we might have lost?

According to "anecdotal evidence" passed on by Gen. Kelly at today's
Pentagon briefing, two Marine M60's were lost, and two Army M1A1's
were damaged.  No definite comment by him on APC's.

--
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes