[sci.military] 16" rifle barrels

andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux) (03/05/91)

From: andrem@pyrman2.pyramid.com (Andre Molyneux)

In message <1991Feb27.015634.19142@cbnews.att.com> Richard Welty writes:

>In article <1991Feb19.031700.16527@cbnews.att.com> phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) writes:
>>This has come up before, but does anyone have any idea how many 16"/50's
>>and liners still exist?  Could we reline a gun if we had to?
>
>according to _The Iowa Class Battleships_ (Malcolm Muir, Blandford Press,
>UK, distributed by Sterling Press in the US), in addition to the 36
>barrels on the 4 Iowa class ships, in 1981 there were 33 spare barrels which
>are ready for use; 24 at Hawthorne, Nevada, and 9 at Subic Bay in the
>Philipines.

Some if not all of the 24 barrels listed as being in Hawthorne, Nevada were
still there the last time I visited (Feb 3 '91).  There is a row of the
barrels sitting just inside the fence alongside US 95 north of town.  They
can be seen a couple of hundred yards before one reaches the main gate.

(By the way,the ammunition plant, which has seen very little activity over
the past decade, has been running 12 hour shifts for several weeks.  Things
will no doubt return to normal with the ceasing of hostilities.)

Andre Molyneux KA7WVV  andrem@pyramid.com
"Insert your favorite corporate disclaimer here."