[sci.military] Air-to-air kill for an EF-111

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (02/28/91)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

I saw an AP wire story that said Air Force officials are considering
crediting an EF-111 with the first air-to-air kill of the Iraq campaign.
Apparently, during a sortie the first night, an Iraqi plane (a MiG,
I believe) fired a missle at it.  The EF-111 was forced to take evasive
action.  It did so so successfully that the MiG, which was trying
to get back on its tail, crashed.  This appears to have been the first
Iraqi plane downed during the war.

On a related note, the NY Times today (2/26), in an article on ``smart
bombs'', mentioned an incident where an F-111 dropped a smart bomb on
an airborne enemy helicopter.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)
>On a related note, the NY Times today (2/26), in an article on ``smart
>bombs'', mentioned an incident where an F-111 dropped a smart bomb on
>an airborne enemy helicopter.

Shaw's "Fighter Combat" mentions bombing helicopters as potentially a
fairly effective tactic.  Not because a direct hit is often feasible,
"especially if the bomb is being dropped by a fighter pilot", but because
a hefty bomb throws shrapnel a long, long way.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

monson@ee.ualberta.ca (Trevor Monson) (03/05/91)

From: monson@ee.ualberta.ca (Trevor Monson)
>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)
>>On a related note, the NY Times today (2/26), in an article on ``smart
>>bombs'', mentioned an incident where an F-111 dropped a smart bomb on
>>an airborne enemy helicopter.
>
>Shaw's "Fighter Combat" mentions bombing helicopters as potentially a
>fairly effective tactic.  Not because a direct hit is often feasible,
>"especially if the bomb is being dropped by a fighter pilot", but because
>a hefty bomb throws shrapnel a long, long way.

    I thought that it was a F-15 Strike Eagle that killed
    a hovering helicopter with a laser guided bomb.  There was
    also an Iraqi tank that was killed by another smart bomb, with
    film shown on CNN.  Can anyone clarify this?  Was the helicopter
    killed by a F-15E or a F-111?  Were there two helicopters killed,
    or did the F-111 get the tank?

--
     Trevor Monson		email: monson@ee.ualberta.ca
     University of Alberta