[sci.military] Who designed & produced the M60 GPMG?

CHAN93%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu (Alvin M. Chan) (02/27/91)

From: "Alvin M. Chan" <CHAN93%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Who designed the M60 General Purpose Machine Gun?  Was it Stoner?
Who produced the M60 GPMG? Was it Browning? Fabrique National?
I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking!

                                                - Alv
   // Alvin M. Chan                       Buffalo State College            //\
  // Information Systems Management      BITNET == CHAN93@snybufva.BITNET //  \
 // (Are there jobs in this?!?!?!)      DECNET == 5122::CHAN93           //   /
//______________________________________________________________________//   /
\\  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          . \\  /
 \\______________________________________________________________________\\/

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/28/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: "Alvin M. Chan" <CHAN93%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
> Who designed the M60 General Purpose Machine Gun?  Was it Stoner?
> Who produced the M60 GPMG? Was it Browning? Fabrique National?
> I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking!

  The M60 7.62mm Machine Gun is produced by Saco Defense Inc.

  The M249 5.56mm Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) was initially contracted
  by Fabrique Nationale (82-83 procurement).  Current procurement is from
  F. N. Manufacturing, Inc., Columbia, S.C. ("F. N." - now WHO could that
  be?)

  mike schmitt

       "Ready on the left.  Ready on the right.  Ready on the firing line.
        Firers watch your lanes."

little_re@lrc.uucp (02/28/91)

From: little_re@lrc.uucp
> Who produced the M60 GPMG? Was it Browning? Fabrique National?

  I got to help out a friends ROTC unit this past weekend, and one of the
weapons issued was the M-60.  This particular one was manufactured by a
division of General Motors.  A friend, a Marine reservist, said that a company
by the name of Food and Machinary makes 60's.  These are two among probably
five or six comapnies.  As for the design, no idea.

Rich Little
Lenoir-Rhyne College
Hickroy, NC  U.S.A.
UUCP:lrc!little_re@mcnc.org

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (03/05/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>> Who designed the M60 General Purpose Machine Gun?
>> Who produced the M60 GPMG?

The M60 is the US Army general-purpose machine gun and it came into
service in the late 1950s.  The prime producer has been Saco Defense
Inc., a subsidiary of the Chamberlain Manufacturing Corporation.

The M60 is a gas-operated weapon.  The M60 is designed to fire full
automatic only, at a cyclic rate of 550 rounds per minute.  This is
a slow enough rate for an accomplished firer to get off a single round.
The tactical rate 'rapd' is 200 rds/min.

Five versions of the M60 are distinguished by separate designations.
In addition to the basic M60 and M60E3 infantry weapons there are:

M60C:  Remotely fired, for external mounting on helicopter.  No longer
       in production.
M60D:  Helicopter and vehicle weapon, pintle-mounted in helicopter doorways,
       vehicle platforms, etc.  Current and in production.
M60E1: A development to overcome undesirable features of first production
       guns (bipod and gas cylinder permanently attached to barrel).
       None was introduced into service, but improvements were incorporated
       in the lightweight M60E3 design.
M60E2: Armor weapon for internal mounting in armored fighting vehicles.
       Current and in production.
M60E3: (see M60E1)  Current and in production.

Weights:   Gun: 10.51 kg
	   Barrel (including bipod and gas cylinder): 3.74 kg
Lengths:   Gun: (overall) 1105 mm
	   Barrel: (excluding flash hider) 560 mm
Firing Characteristics:
	   Muzzle velocity: 855 m/s
	   Remaining velocity: (at 500 m) 492 m/s
			       (at 3700 m) 108 m/s
	   Rate of fire: (cyclic) 550 rds/min
	   Effective range: (bipod) 1000 m
			    (tripod) 1800 m

Manufacturer:  Saco Defense Inc.
	       a subsidiary of Chamberlain Manufacturing
	       291 North Street
	       Sago, Maine 04072

In Service with:  US forces. Australia, South Korea, Taiwan and many
		  other countries.

Steve Williams               |  "An expert is a person who has made all the
Department of the Navy       |  mistakes which can be made in a very narrow
David Taylor Research Center |  field."     -- Niels Bohr, Danish Scientist

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (03/05/91)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>Who designed the M60 General Purpose Machine Gun?  Was it Stoner?
>Who produced the M60 GPMG? Was it Browning? Fabrique National?

I did a bit of research to answer this question, in the following
sources:
Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, 2nd Ed, ed. by Jack Lewis

Small Arms of the World, 12th Ed, by E. C. Ezell

Jane's Infantry Weapons 1987-88, ed by Ian Hogg

Got some general agreement but a few conflicts on the details. The short
answer to "who designed it" seems to be "nobody in particular" -- maybe
a committee (perhaps that's why it didn't work all that well! :-). No
source credits any individual with the design.

During 1947, comparative tests were run on various candidates for a
general-purpose lightweight machine gun (it appears these took place at
Springfield Armory). Among the candidates was the T52, designed by the
Bridge Tool & Die Works of Philadelphia, PA. Based on the design of the
German FG42 automatic rifle, the belt-feed mechanism of the German MG-42
machine gun, and an operating system based on the British Lewis Gun of
WWI fame. Over the years, the design was modified to handle the 7.62mm
NATO cartridge, and a quick-change barrel feature was incorporated
copied from the Czechoslovakian ZB26.

Some sources cite the progression of design as T44 -> T52 -> T161. But
I've seen "T44" refer to the early design version of the M14 so I don't
know if that designation is a duplicate or an error or what...

One source says the T161 was a design of the Inland division of General
Motors, but another says Inland did a mass-production feasibility-study
and design-evaluation contract on the T52, not mentioning "T161". In any
case, the final M60 design was adopted by DoD in 1957 and a production
contract was awarded to Saco Defense, Inc. (some say "Saco Division of
the Maremont Corp.") in Saco, Maine. [Maybe the company name changed
slightly over the years due to acquisitions, mergers, etc.]

An improved version, the M60E1, was designed to correct some of the
faults in the basic design. Two of the sources say that was never put
into production, but the changes were finally incorporated in the
recently-produced M60E3 version. Small Arms of the World says it *was*
produced. I tend to believe Jane's instead.

An M60E2 coaxial tank gun version was produced for the USMC. Two
aircraft variants, the M60C (remotely charged and fired) and the M60D
(pintle-mount, spade grips & rear trigger, as a helicopter door gun),
were made.

The M60E3 was produced at USMC request, to avoid the life-cycle costs of
developing a completely new gun, and has been adopted by them, the Navy,
and the USAF. The Army replaced the M60 in the Squad Automatic Weapon
role with the M249 5.56mm Minimi. It seems the M60 has been retained in
other roles but it wasn't clear if the Army upgraded its M60s to E3
configuration or not. (E3 appears to be circa 1987 vintage.)

The E3 version has a lower-pressure gas system, new flash suppressor,
barrel changing improved by moving carrying handle to the barrel and the
bipod to the front end of the receiver (this lets the barrel be handled
without the asbestos glove, plus spare barrels don't also have the
weight of the extra bipod on them), the wraparound heat shield removed,
pistol grip and sights changed. The trigger group has been modified, a
drop-down winter-trigger-guard and ambidextrous safety added, the stock
material changed to a lighter Zytel-fibreglass, and the cam roller has
been altered to allow loading with the bolt closed.

It appears Saco (whoever owns them) is still the prime (or only) military
contractor. Civilian versions of the M60 were produced by Rock Island
Armory, and they are producing them for the police market currently.
They list for $1995 in recent Shotgun News ads. (Tackleberry [the gun
nut from the Police Academy movies] would want one in his squad car, I'm
sure... :-)

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

cash@convex.com (Peter Cash) (03/06/91)

From: cash@convex.com (Peter Cash)
In article <1991Mar4.210301.6800@cbnews.att.com> Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL> writes:

>... and the USAF. The Army replaced the M60 in the Squad Automatic Weapon
>role with the M249 5.56mm Minimi. It seems the M60 has been retained in

What is the 5.56 mm Minimi? This is the first I've ever heard of it.

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com