[sci.military] Info wanted on Soviet EM pulse

axolotl@socs.uts.EDU.AU (Iain D. Sinclair) (03/01/91)

From: axolotl@socs.uts.EDU.AU (Iain D. Sinclair)

I recently read an article based on the writings of Lt. Col. (ret) Thomas
E. Bearden, on Soviet "scalar wave" EM weapons systems. "Time-Reversed"
waves are used in conjunction with radars to produce a directed-energy
weapon. The pulse also causes fission in some material. (apparently.)

The development and partial deployment of such weapons is said to account
for:
	- A nuclear accident in the Urals in 1957-8.
	- The 1963 loss of the USS Thresher, the 1986 losses of an
	   Ariane rocket and the Challenger. (!)
	- Khrushchev's 1960 statement that "fantastic new weapons could
	   wipe out all life on earth if used unrestrainedly".
	- Akhromeyev's 1986 statement: "If the US deploys a shield in
	   space the SU will have several options, none of which
	   Washington would wish... The SU will quickly respond
	   in a way which the US has no inkling of as yet".
	- The dismantling of the Krasnoyarsk radar after years of
	   negotiation.

As I don't remember seeing this stuff in the Pentagon's _Soviet Military
Power_s, is there any actual basis for these reports?

--
Iain Dick // axolotl@socs // University of Technology, Sydney              ,',
Sinclair //  .uts.edu.au // (Research Assistant) +61 2 2812552              ,`

pd@doc.ic.ac.uk (Philip Daniels) (03/05/91)

From: Philip Daniels <pd@doc.ic.ac.uk>

In article <1991Mar1.053601.551@cbnews.att.com> axolotl@socs.uts.EDU.AU (Iain D. Sinclair) writes:
>I recently read an article based on the writings of Lt. Col. (ret) Thomas
>E. Bearden, on Soviet "scalar wave" EM weapons systems. "Time-Reversed"
>waves are used in conjunction with radars to produce a directed-energy
>weapon. The pulse also causes fission in some material. (apparently.)

>As I don't remember seeing this stuff in the Pentagon's _Soviet Military
>Power_s, is there any actual basis for these reports?

  This comes straight off the top of my head, but I believe that the Soviet
Union has been developing Em weapons for many years. I once saw a documetary
which derscribed how the Soviet Union was bathing most of the world (ie
Western Europe, the Amercias and Asia) in EM radiation, in the form of
a long wavelength EM pulse. You can pick up this pulse on a standard
radio in the open air, inside buildings, even (I've heard) underground.
It's called the 'Woodpecker' because of the sound it makes, and is
apparently the strongest EM pulse ever generated on earth.
  The Soviets believe that it has deleterious effects on the health of
people subjected to it.

  If I remember rightly, the Soviets also bombarded the old American
embassy in Moscow with microwave radiation from a building across
the street.
  The staff suddenly began to develop mysterious illnesses, and operational
efficiency was so reduced that a decision was taken to construct a
new building which would be invulnerable to such techniques.

  I now of no instances of battlefield EM weapons, I think they would be
rather impractical, requiring lots of hardware to do generate a pulse
of sufficient strength to do any damage in the short time availabe, that
is, seconds or minutes on a modern battlfefield rather than the years
which were avaliable to the Soviets in the case of the Moscow embassy.
  Also, if you direct an EM pulse at the enemy then you rather advertise
your position and expose yourself to attack from radiation seeking
armaments.

bugger, I've lost my sig.....

Philip Daniels (pd@doc.ic.ac.uk)
First Year undergraduate, DoC.

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (03/06/91)

From: David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>

>I once saw a documetary
>which derscribed how the Soviet Union was bathing most of the world (ie
>Western Europe, the Amercias and Asia) in EM radiation,
<>
>It's called the 'Woodpecker' because of the sound it makes, and is
>apparently the strongest EM pulse ever generated on earth.
<>
>  If I remember rightly, the Soviets also bombarded the old American
>embassy in Moscow with microwave radiation from a building across
>the street.
>  The staff suddenly began to develop mysterious illnesses, and operational
>efficiency was so reduced that a decision was taken to construct a
>new building which would be invulnerable to such techniques.

First off, the Woodpecker is generally believed to be an over-the
horizon radar. Our version is called Pave-Paws, I believe. Several
radio amateurs, rightfully upset over intrusion of the Woodpecker into
the amateur bands, claimed that transmitting back to it with the proper
speed CW (Morse) would convince it to slide {up, down} in frequency.

As for the microwave bombardment in Moscow, I refer readers to the book
"Spycatcher" for a {mostly, I'm told} accurate description of a wholly
passive device, powered by external microwave signal.  Note that the
Great Seal was found a LONG time ago, in the time line of technical
espionage.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM