[sci.military] Hollow Point Bullets

jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil (John Masly) (03/07/91)

From:     John Masly <jmasly@mainz-emh2.army.mil>
From         L Gordon Paisley <PAISLEY%AUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>I remember seeing something in a pamphlet-sized manual in which the combat
>use of hollow-point rounds was forbidden.  I do not remeber the title or
>effective dates of this publication, but I do remember seeing and taking note
>of the mention of hollow-point rounds.  Someone else may have details.

I can't quote from the Geneva Conventions exactly, or from personal
experiance, however a JAG Officer who is involved with the Conventions
put the use of hollow point bullets in this way, 'During a conflict,
a participant may not use a weapon that inflicts undue pain or suffering
on his opponant, and where the use of that weapon is not commensurate
with the military advantages to be gained'.

Again, this is *not* the exact wording, but is the sense of what the
JAG related to me.  The actual Conventions can probably be obtained
at any good library under the catagory of International Law.

John R. Masly, Mainz Army Depot, Germany,  APO NY 09185