[sci.military] Military Insignia question

dennett@Kodak.COM (Charlie Dennett) (03/05/91)

From: dennett@Kodak.COM (Charlie Dennett)
After watching General Swartzkopf the other day, I noticed what
appeared to be a short leather strap hanging from his right shirt
pocket.  On this there were four items, all black.  There were two
stars.  I couldn't make out the other two items.  I've seen the same
leather strap on a few other officers.  What is this and what is the
significance of the items that are attached to the strap.

Thanks,
Charlie Dennett          | Rochester Distributed Computer Services
Mail Stop 01816          | Internet: dennett@Kodak.COM
Eastman Kodak Company    | System Manager - Imaging Science Lab
Rochester, NY 14650-1816 |

geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thumper) (03/06/91)

From: geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thumper)
dennett@Kodak.COM (Charlie Dennett) writes:
>After watching General Swartzkopf the other day, I noticed what
>appeared to be a short leather strap hanging from his right shirt
>pocket.  On this there were four items, all black.  There were two
>stars.  I couldn't make out the other two items.  I've seen the same
>leather strap on a few other officers.  What is this and what is the
>significance of the items that are attached to the strap.

I was wondering about this myself and was given to understand that it was
the Saudi Arabian rank equivalent to that of the Coalition wearer.
Source: A vague reference in a letter from someone over there and a brief
comment on the news in September (NBC or CNN, I forget).
I admit, this isn't proof positive... But it makes sense.  I have been
trying to compare the stuff that Schwartzkopf's aides wear to the stuff worn
by the Saudi officers, but there is so little footage these days! (Huzzah!)

If I'm wrong... tell me.

-Geoff

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/06/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: dennett@Kodak.COM (Charlie Dennett)
> After watching General Swartzkopf the other day, I noticed what
> appeared to be a short leather strap hanging from his right shirt
> pocket.  On this there were four items, all black.  There were two
> stars.  I couldn't make out the other two items.  I've seen the same
> leather strap on a few other officers.  What is this and what is the
> significance of the items that are attached to the strap.

  I believe what you are describing is the rank insignia of a Saudi
  full general.  The Saudis use a series of crossed swords, stars, and
  wreaths to depict rank.  This is common in a multi-national force to
  wear your counterpart's insignia.  It might be confusing to the officers
  and men of the other nation's trying to figure out whether they are
  talking to a general or a lieutenant.  Many foreign armies use the star
  to denote the lower ranks - lieutenant to senior lieutenant - then add
  a wreath to denote field-grade ranks - then a sword or 'red' to denote
  general rank (or something more elaborate).  Not that I should think
  anybody would mistake General Schwartzkopf for a major.   :-)
  I believe 4-stars is the rank for a Spanish Senior Captain.

  In Vietnam we all wore our counterpart rank insignia on our right pocket.
  And we wore the FWMAF patch (Free World Military Assistance Forces)

  When I was a liaison officer to the German 12th Panzer Division and to
  the 35th PanzerGrenadier Brigade - I wore the equivalent German rank
  insignia along with the 12th PzDiv patch.  However, when I was liaison
  with the 13th French Commandos, we didn't wear ANY insignia.

  Someone's going to come out with a book called "Insignia of the Gulf War".

  mike schmitt

crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl) (03/07/91)

From: crowl@cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl)
>From: dennett@Kodak.COM (Charlie Dennett)
>After watching General Swartzkopf the other day, I noticed what appeared to
>be a short leather strap hanging from his right shirt pocket.  On this there
>were four items, all black.  There were two stars.  I couldn't make out the
>other two items.  I've seen the same leather strap on a few other officers.
>What is this and what is the significance of the items that are attached to
>the strap?

The leather strap hanging from General Schwartzkopf's shirt pocket has two
palms, a crown, and a pip.  (I think, corrections welcome).  This is the Saudi
insignia for the General's rank, full general.  When troops from many nations
operate together in the same area, officiers (soldiers?) often wear their rank
in the insignia of the host nation somewhere on their uniform.  With this
custom, each person only needs to learn the insignia of the host country to
identify the rank of foreigners, and does not need to learn the insignia of
every nation.  In Vietnam, my father (U.S. Air Force captain, two silver bars)
wore the South Vietnamese insigna for his rank (three pips).  I guess the
military settled on the leather pocket tabs as a common place to put the host
nation's rank.

--
  Lawrence Crowl		716-275-9499	University of Rochester
		      crowl@cs.rochester.edu	Computer Science Department