[sci.military] inside_effect

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (03/07/91)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
From waldo@dsacg3!dsac.dla.mil
>From: awtron@vanilla.princeton.edu (Andrew Tron D-313 x3749)
>>
>>I might suggest that the sound inside the tank from its OWN gun going off
>>would be louder than that from a round going off outside its armor.
>>Don't tankers have to wear major-league ear protection?
>>
>>(...and then again, I might not suggest it.)
>
>In the book "Aquarium" by the Soviet defector Viktor Suvorov, the author
>describes a tank exercise.  He stated that the tank crewmember's earpones
>would click a fraction of a second before the gun fired.  The ear would
>then react to the click, thus protecting it from the ensuing boom.

I can't vouch for the sound of a round hitting the armor; however, the sound
of your tank's OWN gun going off is loud...but not as loud as you may expect. In
fact, when on a firing line and the tank setting on either side of yours fires,
the backblast and concussion is louder (to you) than when your own tank fires.
I don't know if you'd call it 'major-league ear protection' or not, but as
someone already noted, the crewmembers wear CVC helmets which deaden the sound
a little.

As for the part concerning the Soviet defector's book, I don't know if our
tank crews still train this way or not...but when I was in Germany and on a fir-
ing range: once the loader announced "UP", and the tank commander gave the com-
mand "FIRE"....the gunner would announce, "On the way, one thousand one", then
pull/press/squeeze the trigger. That would give everyone a chance to brace, as
it were, for the maingun to cycle (Fire, extract/eject, and re-load)...mainly,
to get 'body parts' out of the way of the recoil as your ears automatically
react from the "On the way...." announcement from the gunner.

      ** NOTE: Fire, extract/eject, and re-load...unless, of course, the tank
      commander states, "Cease Fire"...at which time the loader just flips
      the safety switch on ;-)

--

Mark Aldo   UUCP: (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo   INTERNET: waldo@dsac.dla.mil
"...Hotel Quebec One Six...You are clear to begin your night run on