[sci.military] Fast Attack Vehical project

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (03/05/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.

Does anyone know how the work went and what eventually happened to the
project?

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy

rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) (03/06/91)

From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)

In article <1991Mar4.213344.10308@cbnews.att.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) writes:
+
+Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
+Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.
+
+Does anyone know how the work went and what eventually happened to the
+project?

    I believe these were produced by the 9th ID "skunkworks" at Ft. Lewis
    WA.  I saw many of them used by the 9th ID, so they definately existed
    and were fielded, in at least limited numbers.  However since a) the
    9th ID is being/has been shut down, b) it was a light ID, and I'm not
    sure if they're in favour anymore, I'm not certain if they exist anymore.
--
    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

    "The intelligent man is one who has successfully fulfilled many
     accomplishments, and is yet willing to learn more." - Ed Parker

scott@swindle.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (03/06/91)

From: scott@swindle.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)
v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) writes:
|> Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
|> Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.

CNN showed a quick shot of a couple of them.  They were filming special forces
  dropping into the US embassy in Kuwait City when two little black dune
  buggies caught the cameraman's attention as they zipped past him.

They didn't appear to have missiles mounted on them, but they did have two
  machine-gunners pointing forward.  The buggy carried three crew: a driver
  and gunner side-by-side in front; and one gunner a little rearward and above
  the other two.

In idle, uninformed speculation I would guess that these FAV's are used to
  enable special forces to make quick deep penetrations behind enemy lines.
  Don't know about their noise and range though.  Perhaps they might be ideal
  during the night in the desert

| Scott Silvey           | Message actually given by rn:                      |
| scott@xcf.berkeley.edu |                                                    |
|                        | " ****** 33993 unread articles in comp.windows.x,  |
| Flames to /dev/null    |        read now? [ynq] "                           |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/07/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)
>
> Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
> Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.
>
> Does anyone know how the work went and what eventually happened to the
> project?

  The 9th Infantry Division (Motorized) was the "High-Tech Testbed" unit
  to test all these exotic weaponry and vehicles trying to carve a nich between
  pure "light" infantry and "heavy" infantry/armor.  The FAV was tested
  within an infantry "Light Attack Battalion" together with "Light Armor
  Battalions" with light armored vehicles (wheeled APC with small gun in
  a turret).   I believe you'll see some of these with the 82d Airborne
  Scout (Cav) units.  They can mount a machine gun, or a TOW launcher or
  an automatic grenade launcher.

  The High-Tech Test Bed (HTTB) concept was not well thought of in the
  mainstream army.  There was really no place for this kind of motorized
  concept in the AirLand Battle theories.  The powers-that-be wanted only
  Armor, Mech, Light, Airmobile, and Airborne - and any conceptual conflict
  deployment could be taken care of with these capabilities.

  Well, there's your 'A' answer.  The 9th Inf Div has now phased down and
  in fact, the colors have been furled and cased, with only a small brigade
  size force that remains.  In fact, I heard recently that, what remains has
  been redesignated the 199th Light Infantry Brigade.  (I'm going to the
  PX and commissary tomorrow - I'll let you know what I see).

  This makes way for the move of the 7th Light Infantry Division to move
  up from Ft Ord ("Planet Ord"), California - to Fort Lewis - where the
  garrison is larger, more modern, and has better training ranges.

  mike schmitt

              "7th Infantry Division - The Spirit of the Bayonet"

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (03/07/91)

From: dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower)

In article <1991Mar4.213344.10308@cbnews.att.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) writes:

>Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
>Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.
>
>Does anyone know how the work went and what eventually happened to the
>project?

The Fast-Attack Vehicle was accepted and deployed (in 1986, I think).
Primarily it has gone to the "light-fighters"-- the light infantry
divisions.  There have been several scenes on CNN and ABC which show the
FAV in action.  I saw them when they were doing testing at Fort
Hood--seems like the Beach Boys now have an *excellent* reason to join
up!

Dave
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!

rogersh@cs.man.ac.uk (rogersh) (03/07/91)

From: rogersh <t3e!rogersh@cs.man.ac.uk (Huw J. Rogers)>

In article <1991Mar4.213344.10308@cbnews.att.com> v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) writes:

>Back a few years ago the Army was developing the FAV (Fast Attack Vehical).
>Basically it was a dune buggy with a missile launcher mounted on it.

	It's in service and is deployed extensively in the Gulf with
a large number of units. The launcher is, I believe, a TOW. It's been
seen on TV here in the UK quite a few times in news reports.

[ H.J.Rogers (INTERNET: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu)       ]
[    ,_,     (BITNET/EARN: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@UKACRL.BITNET)      ]
[  :-(_)-o   (UUCP: ...!uunet!cunyvm.cuny.edu!cs.man.ac.uk!p4!rogersh) ]
[   _} {_    (JANET: rogersh%p4@uk.ac.man.cs)                          ]