[sci.military] Vehicle paint jobs

military@cbnews.att.com (william.b.thacker) (02/28/91)

From: alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma)
The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
script.

-Rohit

pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson) (03/05/91)

From: pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson)
In article <1991Feb28.051823.9329@cbnews.att.com>, alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma) writes:

>The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
>script.

No, the numeral 7 in arabic looks like "7". That's why our numerals are called
arabic numerals...
--
Per Danielsson				pd@sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN

iqbal@eesun.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi) (03/06/91)

From: iqbal@eesun.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi)

In article <1991Mar4.204352.4365@cbnews.att.com> pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson) writes:
>In article <1991Feb28.051823.9329@cbnews.att.com>, alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma) writes:

>>The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
>>script.

>No, the numeral 7 in arabic looks like "7". That's why our numerals are called
>arabic numerals...

No, the arabic #7 does not look like our 7.  Our numbers are based on,
but don't look like, Arabic numbers.  I forget which number it is, but
I think it is the number 6 that looks like an upsidedown V = "^".

Not that this is relevant or anything,

Iqbal

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (03/06/91)

From: clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones)

In article <1991Mar4.204352.4365@cbnews.att.com>, pd@sics (Per Danielsson) writes:
>In article <1991Feb28.051823.9329@cbnews.att.com>, alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma) writes:
>
>>The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
>>script.
>
>No, the numeral 7 in arabic looks like "7". That's why our numerals are called
>arabic numerals...

I don't know why our numerals are called Arabic numerals, but the numeral 7 in
Arabic looks like a "V".  The numerals 1 and 9 look like ours, their 5 looks
astonishlingly like a 0, 0 looks like a center-dot, two and three look vaguely
like the Greek gamma and 4 looks sort of like a sigma, and I forget the rest.
When I was in Egypt in early 1981, I chuckled when I got a 5 piastre coin in
change; it looked like a coin with a big zero in the middle of it.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

oyvinw@ifi.uio.no (yvin Wormn{s) (03/07/91)

From: \yvin Wormn{s <oyvinw@ifi.uio.no>
From pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson)
> In article <1991Feb28.051823.9329@cbnews.att.com>, alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma) writes:

> >The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
> >script.

> No, the numeral 7 in arabic looks like "7". That's why our numerals are called
> arabic numerals...

The number "7" is a "V" in arabic. (SeVen,  was the way I remembered it when
I had to learn the numbers).  The number "8" is an upside-down "V".

That's how I learned it when I had to catch the right bus in Cairo.  The
numbers should be the same in all varieties of arabic.

\yvin                                                  oyvinw@ifi.uio.no

styri@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Yu No Hoo) (03/07/91)

From: styri@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Yu No Hoo)

>In article <1991Feb28.051823.9329@cbnews.att.com>, alberta!atrc!pandora!sharma (Rohit Sharma) writes:
>The  ^ mark probably is the number 7 (?) in the arabian
>script.

In article <1991Mar4.204352.4365@cbnews.att.com> pd@sics.se (Per Danielsson) writes:
>No, the numeral 7 in arabic looks like "7". That's why our numerals are called
>arabic numerals...

Sure, we call our numerals arabic, and we even write them in the same order
as in arabic. (I guess thats why I have to read large numbers from right to
left if the digits aren't grouped. :-)

However, digits are written with different signs in 'modern' (?) arabic. The
inverted "v" is in fact the number 8. (The only signs that look similar to
our digits are 1 and 9.) I believe this thread can be continued in
soc.culture.arabic or something.

I guess the paint job used in desert shield was nothing more than a symbol.
A simple symbol that easily could be changed if neccessary.

----------------------
Haakon Styri
Dept. of Comp. Sci.              ARPA: styri@cs.hw.ac.uk
Heriot-Watt University          X-400: C=gb;PRMD=uk.ac;O=hw;OU=cs;S=styri
Edinburgh, Scotland

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (03/08/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The upside down "V" was painted on all coalition vehicles as a clear
identification mark in an effort to prevent friendly-fire casualties,
just like the black and white stripes that were painted on Allied
aircraft for D-Day and the rest of WWII.  The mark appeared on all sides
of the vehicles.

I expect that all ground forces had orders to destroy any vehicle that
didn't carry the symbol.  Obviously, this was only good in daylight.

Allan

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (03/08/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

  Odd... The vehicles in Desert Storm/Shield seem to have used the same
symbol as the Israelis' vehicles in the golan heights battles.
  Is this something conventional?  Or just a convenient symbol like the
``invasion stripes'' on aircraft over the Normandy beachead?
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |