[sci.military] *** United States Military Forces in Kuwaiti Theatre

kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A. Geiselman) (02/21/91)

From: "Kevin A. Geiselman" <kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

ORDER OF BATTLE: OPERATION DESERT STORM, UNITED STATES FORCES

In Place: Naval Forces
======================
numbers authorative as of 9 January 1991, the US Navy will not comment
on the presence of specific vessels, excepting Carriers and Battleships.
All names presented are based on news reports and are not necessarily
accurate or current and are included only for technical interest.

Carriers: 3
	Midway CV-41 (Midway-class)
	Saratoga CV-60 (Forestal-class)
	Independence CV-62 (Forestal-class)
Additional Carriers En Route: 3 (+ escorts)
	Ranger CV-61 (Forrestal-class)
	America CV-66 (Kitty Hawk-class)
	Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 (Nimitz-class)
Battleships: 2
	Missouri BB-63 (Iowa-class)
	Wisconsin BB-64 (Iowa-class)
Cruisers: 14
	Virginia CGN-38 (Virginia-class)
	Mississippi CGN-40 (Virginia-class)
	Richard K. Turner CG-20 (Leahy-class)
	England CG-22 (Leahy-class)
	Jouett CG-29 (Belknap-class)
	Biddle CG-34 (Belknap-class)
	Valley Forge CG-50 (Ticonderoga-class)
	Thomas S. Gates CG-51 (Ticonderoga-class)
	Bunker Hill CG-52 (VLS Ticonderoga-class)
	Mobile Bay CG-53 (VLS Ticonderoga-class)
	Antietam CG-54 (VLS Ticonderoga-class)
	San Jacinto CG-56 (VLS Ticonderoga-class)
	Philippine Sea CG-58 (VLS Ticonderoga-class)
	Normandy CG-60
	Martinsburg
	Layte Gulf
	Princeton
Destroyers: 9
	Sampson DDG-10 (Charles F Adams-class)
	William V. Pratt DD-44 (Coontz-class)
	Preeble DD-46 (Coontz-class)
	Spruance DD-963 (Spruance-class)
	Hewitt DD-966 (Spruance-class)
	David R. Ray DD-971 (VLS Spruance-class)
	Oldendorf DD-972 (Spruance-class)
	O'Brien DD-975 (Spruance-class)
	Moosbrugger DD-980 (Spruance-class)
	Caron DD-970 (Spruance-class)
	Will
	Foster
Frigates: 11
	Reid FFG-30 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Curts FFG-38 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Halyburton FFG-40Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Vandergrift FFG-48 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Robert G Bradley FFG-49 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Taylor FFG-50 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Hawes FFG-53 (Oliver Hazaed Perry-class)
	Samuel B Roberts FFG-58 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Rodney M Davis FFG-60 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Rentz FFG-46 (Oliver Hazard Perry-class)
	Reasoner FF-1063 (Knox-class)
	Francis Hammond FF-1067 (Knox-class)
	Vreeland FF-1068 (Knox-class)
	Elmer Montgomery FF-1082 (Knox-class)
	Brewton FF-1086 (Knox-class)
	Barbey FF-1088 (Knox-class)
	Thomas C Hart FF-1092 (Knox-class)
Amphibious Helicopter/Landing Craft Carriers: 14
	Blue Ridge LCC-19 (Blue Ridge-class)
	Inchon LPH-2 (Iwo Jima-class)
	Okinawa LPH-3 (Iwo Jima-class)
	Trenton LPD-14 (Austin-class)
	Shreveport LPD-12 (Austin-class)
	Trenton LPD-14 (Austin-class)
Additional Marine Craft en-route: 3 (left for Med 23 Jan)
	Austin LPD-4 (Austin-class)
	Nashville LPD-13 (Austin-class)
	Guadalcanal LPH-7 (Iwo Jima-class)
Landing Craft Carriers: 19
	Portland LSD-37 (Anchorage-class)
	Pensacola LSD-38 (Anchorage-class)
	Whidbey Island LSD-41 (Whidbey Island-class)
	Newport LST-1179 (Newport-class)
	Fairfax County LST-1193 (Newport-class)
	LaSalle AGF-3 (Converted Raleigh-class)
Minesweepers: 4
	Avenger MCM-1 (Avenger-class)
	Impervious MSO-449 (Aggressive-class)
	Leader MSO-490 (Aggressive-class)
	Adroit MSO-509 (Aggressive-class)
Combat Support: 10
	Nitro AE-23 (Suribachi-class)
	Santa Barbara AE-28 (Kileuea-class)
	Shasta AE-33 (Kilauea-class)
	Flint AE-32 (Kilauea-class)
	Yellowstone AD-41 (Yellowstone-class)
	Truckee AO-147 (Neosho-class)
	Platte AO-186 (Cimarron-class)
	Seattle AOE-3 (Sacramento-class)
	Kansas City AOR-3 (Wichita-class)
	Kalamazoo AOR-6 (Wichita-class)
	Sylvania AFS-2 (Mars-class)
Miscelaneous
	Regulus AKR-292 (Algol-class)
	Milwaukee CG-PSU (Port security unit)
	Buffalo CG-PSU
	Cleveand CG-PSU
	Mercy AH-19 (Hospital ship)
	Comfort AH-20 (Hospital ship)

In Place: Air Forces
====================
Unit names authorative as of 21 December 1990, Numbers do not necessary
represent complete units.

106 A-6 "Intruder"
140 F-14 "Tomcat"
164 F/A-18 "Hornet"
48 A-7E "Corsair"
	Saratoga CV-60, Midway CV-41, Independence CV-62
72 AV-8B "Harrier"
	Okinawa LPH-3, Marine attachments
70+ A-10 "Thunderbolt II" ("Warthog")
	10th Tactical Fighter Wing, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
	23rd Tactical Fighter Wing, England AFB, Lousiana
	354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach AFB, South Carolina
	926th Tactical Fighter Group, New Orleans NAS, Lousiana (AFR)
72 F-15C/D "Eagle"
	1st Tactical Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Virginia
	33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Florida
	36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg AB, Germany
24 F-15E "Strike Eagle"
	4th Tactical Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina (Oman)
72 F-16C/D "Fighting Falcon"
	50th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hahn AB, Germany
	174th Tactical Fighter Wing (F/A-16) Hancock Field, New York (ANG)
	347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia
	363rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, South Carolina
	388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
	401st Tactical Fighter Wing, Torrejon AB, Spain (Qatar)
	169th Tactical Fighter Group, McEntire ANG Base, South Carolina
44 F-117A "Stealth"
	37th Tactical Fighter Wing, Tonopah Test Range Airfield, Nevada
62 F-111F
	48th Tactical Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
	39th Tactical Group, Incirlik, Turkey
26 B-52G
	Diego Garcia
E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS)
	552nd Airborne Warning and Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Ok
EF-111 "Raven"
	42nd Electronic Combat Squadron, RAF Upper Heyford, United Kingdom
	366th Tactical Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
OA-10
	23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
36 RF-4G "Wild Weasel"
	67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
C-130 "Hercules"
	314th Tactical Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
	317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, North Carolina
	435th Tactical Airlift Wing, Rhein Main AB, Germany
Air Transportable Hospitals
	MacDill AFB, Florida		Homestead AFB, Florida
	Holloman AFB, New Mexico	Tyndall AFB, Florida
	Davin Mountain AFB, Arizona	Langley AFB, Virginia
	Shaw AFB, South Carolina	Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina
	England AFB, Lousiana		Myrtle Beach AFB, South Carolina
C-141 "Starlifter", C-5 "Galaxy"
	Military Airlift Command (MAC)
KC-135, KC-10, RC-135
	Strategic Air Command (SAC)

Forces to be deployed
---------------------
300 additional combat aircraft and 3 carrier compliments

In Place Army Forces
====================
Unit names authorative as of January 1991. It cannot be assumed that complete
units are present.

CENTCOM, Central Command, General "Stormin" Norman Schwarzkopf

Third Army, Lt.Gen Yeosock (USA) w/ Lt.Gen Prince Khalid bin Sultan
	Saudi I Corps
	Egyptian Corps
	British 1st Armored Division
	XVIII Corps (US)
		1st Cavalry Division
			1st Brigade
			2nd Brigade
			1st Brigade ("Tiger"), 2nd Armored Division
		24th Infantry Division (Mech.)
			1st Brigade
			2nd Brigade
			197th Separate Mechanized Brigade
		82nd Airborne Division
			325th Parachute Regiment
			504th Parachute Regiment
			505th Parachute Regiment
		101st Air Assault Division
			187th Air Assault Regiment
			327th Air Assault Regiment
			502nd Air Assault Regiment
		3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment
		12th Aviation Brigade
	VII Corps (US)
		3rd Armored Division
		1st Armored Division
		2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment
		1st Brigade, 2nd Armored Division
		3rd Brigade, 3rd Mech Division
		7th Engineer Brigade
	III Corps (US)
		1st Mech Division
			2nd Brigade
			3rd Brigade
			2 brigades, 4th Mechanized Division
				155 Armored Brigade, Miss. NG
		5th Mechanized Division
			2 brigades
				256th Mechanized Brigade, La NG
		48th Mechanized Brigade, Ga NG
		1-263 Tank Battalion, SC NG
		2-252 Tank Battalion, NC NG
		142nd Field Artillery Brigade, Ak NG
		1-158 Artillery Battalion, Ok NG

In Place: Marine Forces
=======================
Units named are authoritative as of January 1991

1st Marine Division (Expeditionary Force)
	1st Marine Expeditionary Bde
	7th Marine Expeditionary Bde
	4th Marine Expeditionary Bde
	13th Marine Expeditionary Bde
	1st Marine Tank Battalion
	2nd Marine Tank Battalion
2nd Marine Division (Expeditionary Force)
	5th Marine Brigade
	6th Marine Brigade
	4th Marine Tank Battalion
	8th Marine Tank Battalion

In Place: Army and Marine Equipment
===================================
Numbers are professional estimates as of 13 December 1990.

Armor
	430 M1
	320 M1A1
	155 M60A1
	  9 M60A3
	330 M2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicles
	270 M3 Bradley Cavalry Fighting Vehicles
	760 M113 APC
	160 LAV-25 (USMC)
	 30 LAV w/ TOW (USMC)
	 10 LAV (Army)
	320 Amphibious Assault Vehicles
	 50 M551 Sheridan Tanks (82nd)
Artillery
	100 M102 105mm Towed Howitzers (Army)
	155 M-198 155mm Towed Howitzers (70 Army, 85 USMC)
	221 M109 155mm Self propelled howitzer (215 Army, 6 USMC)
	100 M110 8in (203mm) self propelled howitzer (50 Army, 50 USMC)
	 60 MLRS
Air Defense
	 60 Patriot launchers (Army)
	 46 HAWK launchers (21 Army, 25 USMC)
	130 Vulcan 20mm self propelled and towed (Army)
Aircraft
	140 Apache attack hel
	125 Cobra/Super Cobra hel (85 Army, 40 USMC)

cos00119@dcsc.dla.mil (LCDR Harry A. Deamer) (02/28/91)

From: cos00119@dcsc.dla.mil (LCDR Harry A. Deamer)

In article <1991Feb21.031014.12249@cbnews.att.com> kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
(Kevin A. Geiselman) writes:

>From: "Kevin A. Geiselman" <kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
>
>ORDER OF BATTLE: OPERATION DESERT STORM, UNITED STATES FORCES
>
>In Place: Naval Forces
>======================
>Cruisers: 14
>       Normandy CG-60
>       Martinsburg
>       Layte Gulf
>       Princeton

The LEYTE GULF is CG-55; PRINCETON CG-59. All cruisers with hull numbers
from CG-47 on are TICONDEROGA class with the Vertical Launch System
(VLS). My reference, NAVSUP P-365, does not list a USS MARTINSBURG,
either in commission, or under construction.

>Destroyers: 9
>       William V. Pratt DD-44 (Coontz-class)
>       Preeble DD-46 (Coontz-class)
>       David R. Ray DD-971 (VLS Spruance-class)
>       Will
>       Foster

The WILLIAM V. PRATT is DDG-44; PREBLE is DDG-46. I am not aware of
the DAVID R. RAY having a VLS, though it could have been added during
an overhaul. The PAUL F. FOSTER is DD-964, a SPRUANCE class. My reference
does not list a USS WILL.

>Amphibious Helicopter/Landing Craft Carriers: 14
>       Blue Ridge LCC-19 (Blue Ridge-class)

The BLUE RIDGE is an Amphibious Command and Control ship. Its mission is to
provide the Command, Control and Communications required by a Marine
Amphibious Brigade (MAB) sized task force. It does not carry helicopters,
or landing craft for use in an amphibious assualt. It does have a helo
landing spot, and helos can land, take off, or refuel from an LCC. The BLUE
RIDGE is normally the 7th Fleet Flagship. TRIPOLI (LPH-10) can be added.
She found a mine in an _awkward manner_.

>Landing Craft Carriers: 19
>       Whidbey Island LSD-41 (Whidbey Island-class)
>       Fairfax County LST-1193 (Newport-class)
>       LaSalle AGF-3 (Converted Raleigh-class)

A Landing Ship Dock (LSD) has a floodable well deck from which small
boats/landing craft can be loaded in relative safety, and launched out the
stern. Other ships that have this feature are LPDs, LHAs, and LHDs. A Tank
Landing Ship (LST) has a dry tank deck. It can carry trucks, tanks, LAVs,
etc which can be offloaded over the bow ramp onto shore, or out the stern
onto a causeway, or landing craft (called a sterngate marriage). Amtracks
(AAVP-7 ?) can be launched out the stern while the ship is underway and
they can _swim_ to shore. A well deck can be pumped dry if landing craft
are not embarked. Sea water in a tank deck can ruin your day.
The LASALLE, as stated, began service as an LPD. The modifications required to a
make her suitable as a flagship, and the presence of the Navy's Commander,
Middle East Force would preclude her use as an LPD. As an aside, the LASALLE
used to be the only ship in the Navy painted white. Her nickname was The
Great White Whale. I don't know if she is still white, or has reverted to
standard Navy gray.

>In Place Army Forces
>====================
>Unit names authorative as of January 1991. It cannot be assumed that complete
>units are present.
>
>CENTCOM, Central Command, General "Stormin" Norman Schwarzkopf

General Schwarzkopf is the Commander-in-Chief of the U. S. Central Command. As
the CINC, he commands _all_ American forces in theater not just Army, or
ground forces.

v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (03/08/91)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

In article <1991Feb21.031014.12249@cbnews.att.com>, kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A. Geiselman) writes...>
>In Place: Army and Marine Equipment
>Numbers are professional estimates as of 13 December 1990.
>
>Armor
>	 10 LAV (Army)

Army LAV's?  Did the Army get LAV's afterall?  I read there was some pressure
on the Army to re-evaluate it after the invasion of Panama.  Is this the same
one as the Marines use (or how is it different?)

				Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy