[sci.military] F111

mick@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Michael Purvis) (08/10/90)

From: mick@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Michael Purvis)

There was some talk a little while ago about the F111...to quote "Fighting
Jets":

	"The genesis of these superplanes (F-15 Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon,
	etc...) of the 1970's and 1980's went back nearly 20 years-to the
	emerging saga of Vietnam, and to an interim aircraft that was
	embroiled in controversy from its inception.  The U.S. DoD wanted an
	all-purpose plane to outduel any jet that tried to shoot it down.  It
	also had to deliver bombs as reliably as the F-105 but to take off in
	half the distance.  It should have the latest in electronics to skim
	automatically a few hundred feet above mountainous terrain and find a
	target no matter how miserable the weather.  The DD (Defence Department)
	seeking a long production run to lower the cost of each jet, decreed
	that this new wonderplane should be the frontline fighter for both
	the Navy and Air Force.  The result-was the General Dynamics F111, a
	50-ton monster that was promptly dubbed the Aardvark.  Its most unusual
	feature was the variable-sweep wing...at high speeds they automatically
	swept back into a delta shape for optimum performance beyond Mach 1.

	From the start, the Aardvark had problems.  It was too unwieldy for
	dogfighting and far too big and heavy for the Navy's carriers.  Its
	engines tended to lose power suddenly, and its smart new terrain-
	following radar often went awry.  Gradually the new plane's mechanical
	troubles were eliminated, and the Aardvark became a reasonably effective
	all-weather attack aircraft."

Hope this was informative...

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: mick@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Michael Purvis)
>	From the start, the Aardvark had problems.  It was too unwieldy for
>	dogfighting and far too big and heavy for the Navy's carriers...

Actually, after strenuous efforts to improve its landing performance, it
passed its carrier-compatibility trials... after the Navy version had
already been cancelled (partly on grounds of carrier-compatibility
problems!).  Admittedly, it would have been usable only from the larger
carriers.  But the Navy did not want the F-111 and emphasized its problems
very heavily and its virtues not at all.  (The F-111B's specs, which it
mostly met, were much more demanding than those of the F-14A that replaced
it in Navy plans.)

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/21/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug15.032141.26086@cbnews.att.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Actually, after strenuous efforts to improve its landing performance, it
>passed its carrier-compatibility trials... after the Navy version had
>already been cancelled (partly on grounds of carrier-compatibility
>problems!).  Admittedly, it would have been usable only from the larger
>carriers.  But the Navy did not want the F-111 and emphasized its problems
>very heavily and its virtues not at all.  (The F-111B's specs, which it
>mostly met, were much more demanding than those of the F-14A that replaced
>it in Navy plans.)

Why all the Navy bashing?  The F-111 was not the plane the Navy
wanted.  Of course they will do everything possible to not have it
forced on them.  Any organization or person will do the same thing.
Comparing the performance of the F-111 to almost any aircraft of the
same generation would indicate it is not a fighter.  Even the Air
Force does not use them as fighters!  As you point out in a later post
the Air Force tried to avoid the F-4 but couldn't find a good reason.
Although in that case there was not even any realistic alternatives on
the drawing board at the time.  Also depending upon wo you listen to,
not everyone in the Air Force was displeased with the Phantom.  With
hindsight, looking at the record of the F-14, and the relative
performance of the two airplanes, I think the Navy made a wise choice.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
>Comparing the performance of the F-111 to almost any aircraft of the
>same generation would indicate it is not a fighter...

Neither was the Missileer, the Navy aircraft that the F-111B superseded.
They were *interceptors*, explicitly relying on high-performance missiles
in lieu of aircraft dogfighting.  The notion that the F-111B had to be
a "fighter" for some reason was part of the Navy's anti-F-111B campaign,
and ended up being carried over into the F-14 specs.  Incidentally, the
F-14 with the original engines is not *much* of a fighter; this was
supposed to be corrected by improved engines, which quietly got shelved
and forgotten once the F-111B was safely dead and buried.  (Re-engining
the F-14 is only now being revived, after a decade and a half of complaints
about its lousy dogfighting performance...)

>... As you point out in a later post
>the Air Force tried to avoid the F-4 but couldn't find a good reason.
>Although in that case there was not even any realistic alternatives on
>the drawing board at the time...

Actually, the USAF wanted more F-105s instead.  They didn't get their
way because the F-105 was basically a nuclear bomber, and McNamara
insisted that they do more for their conventional capabilities.  (In
the Cuba missile crisis, the USAF was so ill-prepared for non-nuclear
war that they had to borrow conventional bombs from the Navy.)

In any event, the USAF being unable to pull a not-invented-here scam
doesn't excuse the Navy's success at it.

>With hindsight, looking at the record of the F-14, and the relative
>performance of the two airplanes, I think the Navy made a wise choice.

For the abruptly-revised mission, now once again including maneuvering
combat, you are probably right.  For the original interceptor mission,
no way:  the F-111B's range, payload, and loiter time were much greater.
(It failed to meet its specs, but the F-14 failed to meet *its* specs
by a larger margin, despite less-demanding specs.)

Of course the Navy made a wise choice, since it defines what is "wise".

Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) (08/23/90)

From: Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson)

 HS> would have been usable only from the larger carriers.  But the
 HS> Navy did not want the F-111 and emphasized its problems very
 HS> heavily and its virtues not at all.  (The F-111B's specs, which
 HS> it mostly met, were much more demanding than those of the F-14A
 HS> that replaced it in Navy plans.)

        The F-111b was a DOG, don't let anybody tell you different. Its
 trans/super sonic manuverability was so bad they were worried if you
 could turn it at all. This was an attack aircraft, and trying to make
 it a fighter was the biggest mistake Mr. Macnamara (sp?) ever made.

dave@interlan.interlan.com (Dave Goldblatt) (08/23/90)

From: Dave Goldblatt <dave@interlan.interlan.com>
In article <1990Aug15.032141.26086@cbnews.att.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>Actually, after strenuous efforts to improve its landing performance, it
>passed its carrier-compatibility trials... after the Navy version had
>already been cancelled (partly on grounds of carrier-compatibility
>problems!).

Well, from what I recall, the F-111 went through _land_ carrier-compatibility
trials.  It did NOT go through full carrier-qualification, primarily because
it only flew off a carrier once, and I'm almost positive it only took off;
a carrier landing was never attempted.  I assume the Navy managed to kill
the program before they were forced into trying it.

But it DID take off once!

The F-111 has proved to be a very capable platform for the Air Force,
especially in its varied configurations (the EF-111, for example).  The
aircraft is continuing to undergo modernization today, including new avionics
and radars.

One of my main concerns regarding the NATF (assuming it is ever built) is
that it is primarily an Air Force design, which will then be modified for
the Navy's use.  Start to sound familiar?  One quote I saw stated that
carrier-qualifying the NATF would add approximately 10,000-15,000 lbs.
of weight to the aircraft.

Just like the F-111. :-)

-dg-

--
"You can twist perceptions	*	Dave Goldblatt	  dave@interlan.com
 Reality won't budge..."	*	Diagnostic Engineering

ged@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ged) (08/28/90)

From: ged@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ged)
Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) writes:

>        The F-111b was a DOG, don't let anybody tell you different. Its
> trans/super sonic manuverability was so bad they were worried if you
> could turn it at all. This was an attack aircraft, and trying to make
> it a fighter was the biggest mistake Mr. Macnamara (sp?) ever made.

I still like the FB-111.  Though it's 'fighter' capabilities may
be swiftly falling behind in todays world, it can still shoot 6
nukes in different directions from 250 miles away from it's
target.

--

                             *********************
                             *This space for rent*

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson)
> HS> ... (The F-111B's specs, which
> HS> it mostly met, were much more demanding than those of the F-14A
> HS> that replaced it in Navy plans.)
>
>        The F-111b was a DOG, don't let anybody tell you different. Its
> trans/super sonic manuverability was so bad they were worried if you
> could turn it at all...

So what?  Ever looked at the specs of the aircraft it replaced in Navy
plans, the Vought (?) Missileer?  The Missileer was basically a *subsonic
transport*, somewhat along the lines of the S-3 Viking, with a big radar
and a bunch of big long-range missiles.  This was at the time when missiles
were king and dogfighting was out of fashion.  The Navy requirement was
for a fleet air-defence interceptor, basically a missile platform.
Maneuverability was explicitly *not* a consideration.

For a missile-platform interceptor, the requirement is to carry a big radar
and a heavy load of missiles out to a good long standoff distance, and
loiter there for quite a while.  The F-111B did this extremely well.  The
F-14A carries a smaller and lighter radar and a considerably lighter load
of missiles out to a shorter distance for a rather shorter loiter.  For
the missile-platform-interceptor mission, it is seriously inferior to the
F-111B in almost every way.  (It does win, I think, on ability to operate
from smaller carriers, something the F-111B was not good at.  Of course,
the USN doesn't operate any of those any more...)

At the time (possibly still), the USN had two groups of combat pilots,
basically the bomber ("attack") pilots and the fighter pilots.  It is
not at all clear that the fighter pilots would have been the ones to
fly the Missileer, since it was not at all what they were trained for.
However, they definitely were the ones assigned to evaluate the F-111B.
Assigning a bunch of pilots trained for dogfighting and supersonic
maneuvering to evaluate a missile-platform interceptor was almost
guaranteed to produce highly negative reports, regardless of the merits
of the aircraft.

> ...trying to make
> it a fighter was the biggest mistake Mr. Macnamara (sp?) ever made.

The idea that the USAF's long-range tactical bomber might also make a
good missile platform for the Navy wasn't inherently ridiculous.  Both
missions basically called for long range, heavy payload, and long
endurance.  However, it *was* a major mistake, because too many of the
details in the specs were incompatible.  (For example, the USAF's foolish
demand for sustained supersonic speed at sea level, and the USN's equally
foolish demand for an escape capsule, were badly incompatible in a plane
that had to fit on Navy carrier elevators.  The escape capsule demanded
side-by-side seating, making the aircraft wide, while the really fierce
supersonic requirement dictated a very slim aircraft.  The importance of
these requirements can be judged from the lack of escape capsules on all
subsequent Navy aircraft, and the lack of sustained-sea-level-supersonic
performance in all subsequent USAF bombers.)  Worse, the two services had
absolutely no incentive to cooperate on producing a plane they could both
live with, and so they didn't.

lag@uafhp.uark.edu (Adrian Griffis) (09/02/90)

From: lag@uafhp.uark.edu (Adrian Griffis)

In article <1990Aug23.014440.1382@cbnews.att.com>, Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) writes:

>         The F-111b was a DOG, don't let anybody tell you different. Its
>  trans/super sonic manuverability was so bad they were worried if you
>  could turn it at all. This was an attack aircraft, and trying to make
>  it a fighter was the biggest mistake Mr. Macnamara (sp?) ever made.

   If I remember correctly, The Great Book of Modern Warplanes says that in
a little over 4000 F-111 missions in Vietnam, only 6 F-111's were lost to
enemy fire.  Granted, the plane is big and clumsy in air combat, and there
were embarasing accidents early in it's history, but not many aircraft
have a record like that.  To shoot a plane down, you have to find it first,
and it is NOT easy to find an aircraft flying 200 feet off the ground in
nice weather, much less nasty weather.  Even a B-1 is hard to find when
it's terrain following.
   Unless I'm mistaken, the F-111 that was shot down over Libya was an
EF-111, and was probably downed by a missle that could "home on jamming".
There's nothing like emitting jamming signals to call attention to
yourself.  The other F-111's did not need the EF-111 to complete their
mission and get back out.
   I think there's little doubt that F-111's are better off staying out
of dog fights, but they are well suited for doing exactly that.  They
have their nich and they seem to perform very well in it.

                       -L. Adrian Griffis  (lag@uafhp.uark.edu)

Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson) (09/02/90)

From: gatech!p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson)

 G> I still like the FB-111.  Though it's 'fighter' capabilities may
 G> be swiftly falling behind in todays world, it can still shoot 6

        I do too, it is one of the most capable ATTACK aircraft in the
world. But the F-111B was a very different bird than the other variants,
and was a serious woof-woof. A plane that can gross 100,000lbs is NOT a
fighter. But then, how many planes on inventory could circumnavigate
Europe, attack, and make it back with only _2_ aireal (sp?) refuelings.

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/13/90)

From: p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!Scott.Johnson (Scott Johnson)

 DT> I would probably call any craft that effectively fulfills the
 DT> fighter role a fighter, in spite of it heaviness or lightness.

        But when it fails to fulfill its role, as the F-111B did? Or if
 ALL it ever does is attack?

dvlssd@zeus.cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund) (03/13/91)

From: dvlssd@zeus.cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund)
About F111.

First :
The USAF has a small number of designations of aircrafts :
F : true fighters, attack-fighters and attack-airplane.
B :  Bombers.
C : Transport and Cargo.
T : Training
U : Utility. Unusual. A catch-all or thing about U2-A
R : Reconnaisance.

Prefix to the above mentioned type designatorsm
E : It means that this a/c is a electronic warfare version
    of a common mainstream a/c.
S : Strategic.Usuall in this meaning : Strategic Reconnaisance.
    SR-71 and and also SB52C I think.
    SB52 was a B52 with a reconnaisance pod with a crew of 2 ( ca )
    in the bomb bay.
T : Tactical. Usuall before a R => Tactical Reconnaisance.

PUH This is a FAQ.

F111A Prototypes to the F111 family and also the first production
      run of the new aircraft. In other word : no XF-111 has ever
      existed.
      42 converted to the USAF version of the Navys EA6.
      The rest are still flying except for crashes, slaughtered
      bodies and so one. To repair some crashed FB-111A the AF took
      the rear of some prototypes for example.

F111B Was supposed to become the succesor to the F4 Phantom
      in the navy. Equipped with Phoenix missiles, AWG-9 and
      MK-82 iron bombs for the ground attack role.
      One prototype built. Got to heavy.

F111C Australian version of the F111. 24 built and ordered.
      4 ca in that batch was in reconnaisance version while stile
      retainning all the ground attack capabilities
      ie a lot of cameras in the bomb bay.

F111D Cosmic Aardvark. F111 with a advances CRT presentation system
      in the cockpit. Advanced functions for navigating and putting
      the bombs at target. The system was to much before its time
      ie a lot of problem with reliability. The AF  has gotten it in
      order now. Stationed at Cannon Air Base in New Mexico ( right ? ).
      The only F111 using the M61 Vulcan today. Everbody else has
      some better use for the bomb bay.

F111E Heavy  simplified version of the F111D. No CRT.

F111F F111E with much stronger engines.  Stationed at Upper Heyford.
      Equipped with Pave-Tack FLIR and laser designation system.

FB111A Strategic version of F111A. Equipped with precision nav-system.
       This F111 together with the B70 Valkyrie was intended to
       take SAC into the 90's.
       95 ca built. Astro-navigation system. Converted to F111G now and
       allocated to TAC.

F111K British version. After the MoD saw how the TFX went they cancelled
      the contract and built the Tornado instead.

EF111A Electronic warfare version of the F111A.
       The AF took 42 low-time F111A, refreshed the whole airframe,
       throw out all the stuff inside. Instruments radars and so on.
       Strengthed the tail, Insatlled more power.
       Put on a big scanner ( the big hump on the tail )
       and six big and strong jammers in the bomb bay.
       Built for selective jamming. Ie if you are going to jam radars
       then you will only jam that radar. A  small little mishap :
       Under the testing it  happened a small little mishap :
       Due to wrong programming one a/c jammed the TV- and
       telephone-network in Californien. Cal went silent.
       The newspappers went mad and called that a major shortcomming
       of the project. When you plan your mission you look at SigInt
       for the mission area and decids that and who will not be allowed
       to get any useful done with their radars.
       With info about the frequency of the threats you program
       the scanner with its search-pattern.
       And then you go of at business doing what you were supposed to
       do. Obviously they had programmed in the wrong search-patterns.

       EF111A are stationed at Upper Heyford and at Mountain Home.

       All the versions of the F111 will be flying for a long time to go.
       About Sidewinders on F111 : Well they are all using them now.

dvlssd@cs.umu.se, Stefan Skoglund  I  Tel +46 90 19 65 29
Ume, Sweden                        I