[sci.military] U.S. Army rank insignia question

sowa@amdew.llnl.gov (Erik C. Sowa) (03/06/91)

From: sowa@amdew.llnl.gov (Erik C. Sowa)

The insignia designating rank on desert-storm battle dress uniforms
seems (from my TV at least) to be all black. How does one distinguish
between major and lieutentant colonel, or between 1st and 2nd
lieutenant (normally distinguished by the colors gold and silver)?

--
"One way or another..."
erik sowa (sowa@amdew.llnl.gov)

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/13/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: sowa@amdew.llnl.gov (Erik C. Sowa)
>
> The insignia designating rank on desert-storm battle dress uniforms
> seems (from my TV at least) to be all black. How does one distinguish
> between major and lieutentant colonel, or between 1st and 2nd
> lieutenant (normally distinguished by the colors gold and silver)?

  This is called 'subdued' color ranks.  Subdued LTC is black.  Subdued
  Major is brown.  Subdued 1LT is black - subdued 2LT is brown.  Kinda
  hard to tell - salute everybody.

  In garrison, senior NCOs always request officers wear full-color rank
  insignia on their soft caps, so the soldier don't get into trouble
  when they can't tell the rank.

  Subdued division insignia is also worn.  It took a direct order from the
  Army Chief of Staff to force the 1st Infantry Division to wear a subdued
  patch - the full color patch is olive drab with a 'big red one'.  As one
  general of the 1st ID said, "we're the big red one - not the big black one".
  The issue was forced with the introduction of camouflage fatigues.

  mike schmitt