[sci.military] Effects inside tank

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (02/26/91)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Not too far back, someone posted a question regarding the effects on a
tank crew of *non-lethal* hits, and what happens inside a tank bearing
reactive armor when it works and goes off and successfully defeats an
anti-tank munition. I never saw any responses. Please, if anyone out
there knows, post! This seems to be widely ignored, and I think it is
worth far more attention than it gets. After all, if a tank crew is
completely deafened, or suffering from concussions and bleeding from
ruptured eardrums, etc., that tank is just about as out-of-commission as
if the enemy round had succeeded in killing the crew or disabling the
tank. Even if the crew eventually recovers in a matter of hours or days,
that tank is out of the current battle until the personnel are replaced,
and I don't recall ever hearing of any procedures for carrying along and
getting spare/replacement crews into other tanks in the midst of a battle!

In peacetime training, are there *ever* intentionally people inside a tank
when it is hit by live fire? Somehow I doubt it -- even if there were
volunteers, there are so many safety rules and liability considerations
tht I just can't imagine such a situation being approved. Sure, the
target tank may be heavily instrumented, but it seems like the only way
we'll ever get any real idea of what goes on inside a successfully-defended
tank is combat. We're getting that data for ourselves now, but have we
accumulated any such info from the Israelis or other allies who use the
same equipment we use? (And that still won't cover our own current tanks
not yet sold to others.)

Do we have any ideas of whether the crew just hears a loud CLANG and
gets a headache, or if there are severe disabling effects (temporary or
permanent), or something in-between? As a start, surely some of the
experienced armor people on this list have been inside a tank or APC
when it was hit with small-arms fire that didn't penetrate. What was it
like? Of no consequence, like being in a car during a light hailstorm?
Or was it deafening and frightening/disturbing? If your hand was on the
inner surface of an armor plate when the outer side was hit by a rifle
round, say, what happens? Is it just a vibration and maybe a stinging,
or is there a severe shockwave sent through your hand, maybe damaging
it? Or some intermediate effect? Anyone experienced some explosive going
off on the other side of armor plate you were near or touching? If the
impact/effect isn't enough to cause spalling inside, what else may happen?

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

ccplumb@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) (02/27/91)

From: ccplumb@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb)
wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) wrote:
> In peacetime training, are there *ever* intentionally people inside a tank
> when it is hit by live fire? Somehow I doubt it -- even if there were
> volunteers, there are so many safety rules and liability considerations
> that I just can't imagine such a situation being approved.

A few years back, I saw a TV documentary on an Israeli-developed tank.
It was designed for survivability, with non-flammable libricants,
kevlar anti-spalling interior, low profile, etc.

The documentart said a frequent test was to put a crew inside, fire
a shell at it, and see how fast the crew could recover.

This is a few years old; I have no idea what's happened since then.
--
	-Colin

john%ghostwheel.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (John Prentice) (02/27/91)

From: john%ghostwheel.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (John Prentice)
In article <1991Feb26.011553.5289@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:

>Not too far back, someone posted a question regarding the effects on a
>tank crew of *non-lethal* hits, and what happens inside a tank bearing
>reactive armor when it works and goes off and successfully defeats an
>anti-tank munition. I never saw any responses. Please, if anyone out
>there knows, post! This seems to be widely ignored, and I think it is
>worth far more attention than it gets.

Let me hazard an educated guess.  My hunch is that there are insignificant
sounds created, at least insignificant in terms of incapacitating someone.
Sound is communicated from the outside of the armor to the inside by
vibrating it.  I doubt you are going to get a devastating audible vibration
in armor.  If you do, you are probably dead.  However, as I said, this
is just a guess.  I imagine there are people finding out for real right
now.

[mod.note:  I would add that in my readings on tank warfare, this shock
effect has never been stated as a serious problem.  It's possible that
the faster modern penetrators may be more severe, of course. - Bill ]

John

--
John K. Prentice    john@unmfys.unm.edu (Internet)
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA

denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste) (02/28/91)

From: denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste)

In article <1991Feb27.015526.18943@cbnews.att.com> john%ghostwheel.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (John Prentice) writes:

%Let me hazard an educated guess.  My hunch is that there are insignificant
%sounds created, at least insignificant in terms of incapacitating someone.
%Sound is communicated from the outside of the armor to the inside by
%vibrating it.

I might suggest that the sound inside the tank from its OWN gun going off
would be louder than that from a round going off outside its armor.
Don't tankers have to wear major-league ear protection?

(...and then again, I might not suggest it.)

brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account) (02/28/91)

From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account)

In article <1991Feb27.015359.18692@cbnews.att.com> ccplumb@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) writes:

>A few years back, I saw a TV documentary on an Israeli-developed tank.
>It was designed for survivability, with non-flammable libricants,
>kevlar anti-spalling interior, low profile, etc.

Isn't this the Israeli Merkava (?) tank?  I think the documentary
was a 60 Minutes article on the difference between U.S. procurement
practices and that of the Israelis, focusing on the Merkava and the
M1.  They also showed some great footage of the Merkava in action
against Syrian T-72s and the like.  They emphasized how the
Israelis kept all the old Syrian hulks and studied them to
determine what actions killed the tanks and what killed the crews.
It seems like not long after this M1A1s got rolling.

We all should know by now the differences between the M1 and M1A1,
but could someone please elaborate on where the inputs came from for
the enhancements?  Were they the result of Israeli information
gleened from the Lebanon Invasion?

Thanks

Brian Douglass			Voice: 702-361-1510 X311
Electronic Data Technologies	FAX #: 702-361-2545
1085 Palms Airport Drive	brian@edat.uucp
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/01/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste)
> I might suggest that the sound inside the tank from its OWN gun going off
> would be louder than that from a round going off outside its armor.
> Don't tankers have to wear major-league ear protection?

  Surprisingly, it's not that loud at all.  Tankers wear CVC helmets that
  have radio head sets inside that 'surround' the ears - but its not a
  true ear protector like you'd wear on a firing range.  The BANG! of the
  main gun is much, much louder to those outside the tank.

  What I always wanted was a pair of steel gloves for when I got my
  fingers slammed in the hatches.  In an APC, the other major problem
  for the TC (track commander) is lower back problems when you slam into
  the hatch ring when the track slews - or if you don't lock down the .50 cal
  and it swings around and the barrel smacks you in the head.  You gotta
  be carefull - you can get hurt on the battlefield  :-)

  mike schmitt

awtron@vanilla.princeton.edu (Andrew Tron D-313 x3749) (03/05/91)

From: awtron@vanilla.princeton.edu (Andrew Tron D-313 x3749)

In article <1991Feb28.045630.5898@cbnews.att.com> denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste) writes:

>I might suggest that the sound inside the tank from its OWN gun going off
>would be louder than that from a round going off outside its armor.
>Don't tankers have to wear major-league ear protection?
>
>(...and then again, I might not suggest it.)

In the book "Aquarium" by the Soviet defector Viktor Suvorov, the author
describes a tank exercise.  He stated that the tank crewmember's earpones
would click a fraction of a second before the gun fired.  The ear would
then react to the click, thus protecting it from the ensuing boom.

Never trust a pilot with clean hands.| Andrew Tron at Princeton University
Never address a major international  | awtron@phoenix.princeton.edu (Internet)
terrorist as "Bubbi".                | uunet!phoenix!awtron         (UUCP)

eellis%avior.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Eli) (03/05/91)

From: eellis%avior.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Eli)
>>A few years back, I saw a TV documentary on an Israeli-developed tank.
>>It was designed for survivability, with non-flammable libricants,
>>kevlar anti-spalling interior, low profile, etc.
>
>Isn't this the Israeli Merkava (?) tank?  I think the documentary
	Yes it is the Merkava.  A well designed tank.

>We all should know by now the differences between the M1 and M1A1,
	M1: 105mm cannon
	M1A1: 120mm Rhinemetal smoothbore cannon and (I think==>) depleated
	uranium armour on front bussel, and possibly improved optics.
>but could someone please elaborate on where the inputs came from for
>the enhancements?  Were they the result of Israeli information
>gleened from the Lebanon Invasion?
	I doubt it, since the Merkava had a 105mm cannon at that time.  The
	improvements probably stemmed from Germany's Leopard II which sported
	a 120mm Rhinemetal smoothbore cannon.

--
Graduated                      | Eli      Ellis |          eellis@hydra.unm.edu
University of New Mexico        ----------------           Veritas Omnia Vincit

amoss@shum.huji.ac.il (Amos Shapira) (03/07/91)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss@shum.huji.ac.il>
>Isn't this the Israeli Merkava (?) tank?

The Merkava is the only Israeli-made tank.
--
--Amos Shapira
C.S. System Group

paulf@mcnc.org (Paul Damian Franzon) (03/13/91)

From: paulf@mcnc.org (Paul Damian Franzon)
In article <1991Feb28.045630.5898@cbnews.att.com> denbeste@spdcc.com (Steven Den Beste) writes:

>I might suggest that the sound inside the tank from its OWN gun going off
>would be louder than that from a round going off outside its armor.
>Don't tankers have to wear major-league ear protection?

Not as much as the poor infantryman next to the tank!   It is even worse
than the recoiless rifles I have fired.

Actually, the noise inside the tank is not that high (but high enough to
warrant ear protection.)  When you fire the
tank gun, the noise "sounds" like it is actually coming from outside with
a muffled "boom".  With
the hatches closed I imagine it might not be that loud at all (but I am
just guessing on the second part.)  This experience is from M-60s.

Paul Franzon
CPT
Infnatry

paulf@mcnc.org (Paul Damian Franzon) (03/13/91)

From: paulf@mcnc.org (Paul Damian Franzon)
[Note to Moderator:
I am out of date on following this list.  Please do not post if there
has been a definitive answer.  My apologies if that is the case.]

In article <1991Feb26.011553.5289@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:

>From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>Not too far back, someone posted a question regarding the effects on a
>tank crew of *non-lethal* hits, and what happens inside a tank bearing
>reactive armor when it works and goes off and successfully defeats an
>anti-tank munition. I never saw any responses. Please, if anyone out
>there knows, post!

While I was having breakfast with the CO of the Armor Bn in the Brigade
I am in, I asked him this question.  His answer was that at the end of the
battles in the Kuwaiti Theatre of Operations Tank Crews were discovering
that they had been hit during the battle, by anti-tank ammunition, and were not
even aware of it due to the general noise of battle!  Admittedly his answer
most likely pertains to M1s.

According to a WW2 tanker I knew once he could hear the constant small thuds
of small arms rounds striking his tank.

Paul Franzon
CPT
Infantry

Charles.K.Scott@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Charles K. Scott) (03/13/91)

From: Charles.K.Scott@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Charles K. Scott)
(Will Martin) writes:

  Not too far back, someone posted a question regarding the effects on a
  tank crew of *non-lethal* hits, and what happens inside a tank bearing
  reactive armor when it works and goes off and successfully defeats an
  anti-tank munition. I never saw any responses. Please, if anyone out
  there knows, post!

In a book recently published consisting of various remembrances of WW II combat
was a section about a pilot who flew a Piper Cub to spot for artillery.  While
he was flying in Italy, he chanced upon a Tiger tank, and quickly called in
fire on it.  He observed frequent near misses and occaisional hits.  I don't
recall the caliber of the artillery, but he went on to say that the tank kept
crawling along in the midst of the barrage, then discourged a crew member,
aparently from the belly hatch.  This man never moved and the pilot conjectured
that he died from the concussion of the rounds hitting the tank.  Eventually
the tank rolled to a stop and began to smoke.  The spotter claims to be the
only air spotter to kill a tank in this fashion.  From this account, I can
surmise that a non penetrating hit can make life very difficult for a tanker,
if the hit is from a round of sufficient caliber.

Corky Scott  <Charles.K.Scott@Mac.Dartmouth.Edu>