[sci.military] Jane's

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (06/29/90)

From: Mark Brader <msb@sq.com>
> That should be Janes, there is no apostrophe.  It is actually a man's
> name (Ted Janes if my memory serves me correctly) who started publishing the
> book at the end of the last century.

It's Jane's.  The man was Fred(erick) T(homas) Jane, 1865-1916.

Reference: The Science-Fiction Encyclopedia.

(Huh?)

He also wrote some SF, including one of the first stories to use
matter transmission: "To Venus in Five Seconds" (1895).

(Oh.)

--
Mark Brader			I've always wanted to be a mad scientist!
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		Or perhaps just mad!

billd@uunet.UU.NET (William Daul) (03/13/91)

From: infmx!billd@uunet.UU.NET (William Daul)
Does anyone have the address for the Jane's office?

What literature (products) do they produce for the general
public?

Thanks,  --Bi((

p.s.  While I am asking queries...what is the address for
the Center for Defense Informaion and what do they produce
for general consumption (no pun intended!)?