[sci.military] private mail

beucler@ksr.com (03/08/91)

From: beucler@ksr.com
what is ASROC? i've been following mail, but cant determine
what it means? also, what are official names of general
ranks? I always thought it was:
1 brigadier
2 leutenant
3 major
4 full (or just plain general)
5 G of the armies.
again patient reading hasn't yielded yet.

dragoo@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen P. Dragoo) (03/13/91)

From: dragoo@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen P. Dragoo)
In article <1991Mar8.022819.9172@cbnews.att.com> beucler@ksr.com writes:
>what is ASROC? i've been following mail, but cant determine
>what it means?
ASROC stands for "Anti-Submarin ROCket", and it is an unguided rocket
fired from a special launcher on surface ships, with either a Mk 46 torpedo
or a 1kT nuclear depth charge as a warhead.  The normal range is 9km(about
5.625 miles), but the Extended range version has an 18km(11.25 miles) range.
The underwater contemporary is SUBROC--SUBmarin-launched ROCket.
mail all flames to wyang@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu--(its not me, but he wo n'    complain...much...)                                                             "I know this ship like th' back o' my hand...KLONK!" Montgomery Scott, STV     "Your new pledge
 name is...Pinto!    Why Pinto?   Why Not!?" Bluto and Kroger

em31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Andrew Morgan) (03/13/91)

From: Eric Andrew Morgan <em31+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>From: beucler@ksr.com
>what is ASROC? i've been following mail, but cant determine
>what it means? also, what are official names of general
>ranks? I always thought it was:
>1 brigadier
>2 leutenant
>3 major
>4 full (or just plain general)
>5 G of the armies.
>again patient reading hasn't yielded yet.

ASROC stands for Anti-Submarine Rocket.  It is basically a
missile/rocket designed to kill submarines, that launches from a ship.
It does this by dropping, I believe, a Mk46 Torpedo into the water.  It
is considered a standoff ASW weapon.  It allows a surface ship to try to
kill a sub at distances that are more safe for the ship.

You had the generals nearly right except you had major general and
lieutenant switched.  Surprisingly, Lt. General comes after Major
General.

Eric Andrew Morgan
Carnegie Mellon University

The opinions expressed here are solely the product of
my twisted mind and not the views of any government or
private agency, however twisted.

6600bwg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Barney W. Greinke) (03/13/91)

From: 6600bwg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Barney W. Greinke)

In article <1991Mar8.022819.9172@cbnews.att.com> beucler@ksr.com writes:

>From: beucler@ksr.com
>what is ASROC? i've been following mail, but cant determine
>what it means?

ASROC is the Anti-Submarine ROCket.  It is a
ballistic rocket launched by US ships to a target
point.  When the rocket reaches the target point, it
releases its payload.  The payload is usually an
anti-submarine torpedo like the Mk.46, or a nuclear
depth charge.  The payload is lowered by drag chute
to the water's surface.

BWG