[sci.military] Aircraft Carriers.

davidl@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU (03/07/91)

From: davidl@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU

	In the latest issue of Time Magazine, there was an interesting article
	about the U.S. military capability, if  another war had started
	started someplace else....

	In the fiqures shown in the article, the reporter stated that
we only had 13 carriers..... But I thought we had 14 deployable carriers.
Does anyone know how he got 13 ??? Is he excluding the USS Washington as
a deployable carrier ?

	Also does anyone know about carrier funding for the next fiscal
year ? I know Cheney is still itching to cut the number of carriers to 12.

	Finally, does the Navy have any plans to replace the F-14 ???
	I know that this year will probably be the last year we procure
	F-14D....But you can't upgrade forever....So what's next

	I heard that the Navy might procure a variant on the YF-22 or YF-23
	(which ever one wins)

	Finally, do any of you have any thoughs about aircraft carriers in
	terms of:

			1) numbers we should have
			2) Whether or not we should have them at all.
			3) Their usefulness.
			4) Their effectiveness during the Gulf War

			5) Anything you want.

	Send your welcomed thoughts and answers to questions above to:
		davidl@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

	"And thank you for your support"

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (03/08/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>        In the fiqures shown in the article, the reporter stated that
>we only had 13 carriers..... But I thought we had 14 deployable carriers.
>Does anyone know how he got 13 ??? Is he excluding the USS Washington as
>a deployable carrier ?

Actually, there are 15 aircraft carriers in the US Navy:

   the NIMITZ class:
     CVN-72   USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN
     CVN-71   USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT
     CVN-70   USS CARL VINSON
     CVN-69   USS DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
     CVN-68   USS NIMITZ

   the ENTERPRISE class:
     CVN-65   USS ENTERPRISE

   the KITTY HAWK class:
     CV-67    USS JOHN F. KENNEDY (actually an improved KITTY HAWK carrier)
     CV-66    USS AMERICA
     CV-64    USS CONSTELLATION
     CV-63    USS KITTY HAWK

   the FORRESTAL class:
     CV-62    USS INDEPENDENCE
     CV-61    USS RANGER
     CV-60    USS SARATOGA
     CV-59    USS FORRESTAL

   the MIDWAY class:
     CV-41    USS MIDWAY

Notes:  1. USS MIDWAY is scheduled to be recommissioned soon, if not already.
	   Her sister ship, USS CORAL SEA (CV-43) was decommissioned in April
	   1990.
	2. USS LEXINGTON will be replaced by a FORRESTAL class carrier
	   in the near future.

>        Also does anyone know about carrier funding for the next fiscal
>year ? I know Cheney is still itching to cut the number of carriers to 12.

The following NIMITZ class carriers are under construction:

	     Carrier                 Laid down    Launched  Commissioned
   -----------------------------    -----------   --------   ---------
   CVN-73  USS GEORGE WASHINGTON    25 Aug 1986   Sep 1990   July 1992
   CVN-74  USS JOHN C STENNIS         Dec 1990      1994       1995
   CVN-75  USS UNITED STATES          Aug 1992      1996       1997

>        Finally, does the Navy have any plans to replace the F-14 ???
>        I know that this year will probably be the last year we procure
>        F-14D....But you can't upgrade forever....So what's next

Good question!

>        I heard that the Navy might procure a variant on the YF-22 or YF-23
>        (which ever one wins)

That is a good possibility.

>        Finally, do any of you have any thoughs about aircraft carriers in
>        terms of:

>        1) numbers we should have

Aircraft carriers are expensive to procure and operate.  Also, the NIMITZ
class carrier requires a compliment of 5,000-6,000 men. The Navy is
facing looming budget cuts.  Obviously, something would have to go.
But at the same time, we can't afford to have too few aircraft carriers
since they take so long to build. The United States has many interests
all over the world and must be capable of protecting them.

>        2) Whether or not we should have them at all.
>        3) Their usefulness.

Definitely yes.  We can't have military airfields all over the world;
we can't move our military airfields closer to troubled spots.  Furthermore,
we don't need permission from the hosting country before we can launch
our attack planes.  We need to show our force of power now and then.
When the lease for the airfield is up, you can't move the airfield.
You can always move your aircraft carrier anywhere.  We have spent billions
and billions of dollars on airfields in foreign countries only to lose
them later when the leases expired and we were asked to leave.  Our
aircraft carriers are ours to keep forever.

>        4) Their effectiveness during the Gulf War

Of course.  An aircraft carrier is a floating airfield with maintenance
facilities, fueling stations, munitions depots, etc., etc.  As soon
as the carriers got to the Gulf region, they were ready for action right
away.  No need to wait for fuel, spare parts, maintenance crews, etc.,
to come in.  The carriers in the Gulf War carried 400+ aircrafts, which
is a considerable force.

Steve Williams

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes which can be made
in a very narrow field."   -- Niels Bohr, Danish Scientist

urbanf@tuura.UUCP (Urban Fredriksson) (03/13/91)

From: urbanf@tuura.UUCP (Urban Fredriksson)

davidl@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:

>From davidl@Bonnie.ICS.UCI.EDU

>	I heard that the Navy might procure a variant on the YF-22 or YF-23
>	(which ever one wins)

    Or maybe the other one, like last time? :-)  (re: YF-16/YF-17)

    More seriously: Do we know just HOW different the naval
    versions are supposed to be, apart from the variable geometry
    wing on the naval F-22? I assume arrestor hook and sturdier
    gear will be necessary.

| Urban Fredriksson |"When waking a tiger, use a     | I do NOT speak   |
| Stockholm, Sweden | long stick."                   | for my employer! |
| I will be off the Net during April and June                           |