[sci.military] Re : Small Arms

mhr@compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk (M Richards) (03/08/91)

From: M Richards <mhr@compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk>
In article 8677 Scott Silvey said :

 > Also, I noticed some scenes of British infantry scouting out an Iraqi bunker
 > for hostiles ... they tossed in a grenade.  They were carrying a very modern
 > looking assault rifle that I've never seen before.  It was sand colored
 > and had the magazine (and I assume the firing mechanism) BEHIND the pistol
 > grip.  This makes the weapon somewhat short I assume.  Can anyone explain
 > what rifle this is?  Is it standard issue now?  When did they get it?  How
 > does it compare with the M16A2?

The name of the rifle in full is the Enfield L70E3, also known as the IW (
Individual Weapon). It is a replacement for the Fabrique Nationale 7.62mm.
L1A1 SLR. The weapon came about as a result of NATOs decision to change over
to the 5.56mm. SS109 round.

The L70E3 is chambered to fire both the 5.56mm. and the British 4.85mm. round
It weighs in at 5.04 kg. and is 770mm. in length. The magazine holds 30 rounds
with a rate of fire of 650 - 800 rounds per minute.

The design of the weapon is known as a bullpup configuration (which is also used by the French FM MAS rifle and the Austrian Steyr rifle). As well as making the
rifle more compact, it is supposed to be easier to handle, easier to teach and
has increased accuracy (anyone out there actually used one?)

The L70E3 has a bigger brother, the LSW (Light Support Weapon), which is the
same gun with a bipod support. The LSW replaces the GPMG (General Purpose
Machine Gun).

The two guns together form part of the British Small Arms for the 1980's program
(SA 80). When were they introduced? Not sure on that, but they seem to have been
phased in from about 1985 when they appeared in Northern Ireland. Their first
couple of years were a bit troublesome with the mechanism tending to seize in
extremely cold weather, such as in the Norweigan winter exercises held by the
Royal Marines. I think these problems have been solved now.

						Mike.

E mhr@aber.cs (UK)       \S  Mike Richards               \V
M mhr@cs.aber.ac.uk (inet)\N  Dept of Computer Science    \O  +44
A ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!mhr\A  University College of Wales,\I  970 622435
I           (uucp)          \I  Aberyswyth, Dyfed.          \C
L                            \L  SY23 3BZ. UK                \E

kjetil@ifi.uio.no (Holm-Kjetil Holmsen) (03/14/91)

From: kjetil@ifi.uio.no (Holm-Kjetil Holmsen)

In article <1991Mar8.023930.10868@cbnews.att.com>, mhr@compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk (M Richards) writes:

	{ Some stuff deleted }
> phased in from about 1985 when they appeared in Northern Ireland. Their first
> couple of years were a bit troublesome with the mechanism tending to seize in
> extremely cold weather, such as in the Norweigan winter exercises held by the
> Royal Marines. I think these problems have been solved now.

An other problem the Royal Marines have had in Norway, is that an optical
sight really doesn't work that well in the wintertime.  The optics fog over
easly, not only from ones breath but also from ones perspiration.  This
freezes in the cold, rendering the sight useless.  I understand they use
the (also standard) iron sights when coming over here.  Apartt from that,
I'd like to trade in my G3 for SA 80 any day :-)

Holm-Kjetil Holmsen, Cand.Scient student	email: kjetil@ifi.uio.no
Dept of Informatics
University of Oslo
NORWAY