[sci.military] OTH RADAR, ACR Competition

kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mark A. Kinney) (03/05/91)

From: Mark A. Kinney <wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>
About 4 years ago, the Louisville Courier-Journal had an article about OTH Rwhere it was noted thed that it could detect stealth aircraft and added that both
the United States and the Soviet Union had OTH technology. This should have madthe B2 useless against targets in the USSR, as that's where most of it's targetsare supposed to be. The F177A would still be somewhat useful tactically, as I
haven't heard of battlefield OTH yet. TIn the Gulf War they were useful because
the Iraqis didn't have OTH Radar. Interestingly enough, thhat news article and
a recet
recent post to this group are the only mentions of it I have found in the past
4 years. James Dunnigan's _How To Make War_, a "comprehensive" reference, only
lists it in a list of abbreviations. Any comments?

On the same hand, is there any difference between OTH and OTH-B (Over The
Horizon-Backscatter)?

On the other hand, the last I've heard about the Advanced Combat Rifle
competition, it was down to Colt and Steyr. One of the people I heard this from
have been singing the praises of caseless ammunition (used by the Colt version)
while others have sung the praises of flechette rounds (used by the Steyr entry). Can anyone clear up what advantages each has and possibly which ones is likelyto be chosen (if it's classified I don't want to know)?

Thanks,
Mark Kinney
kinney@wku.edu

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (03/14/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From Mark A. Kinney <wku_unix!kinney@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>
>
>[T]he last I've heard about the Advanced Combat Rifle
>competition, it was down to Colt and Steyr. One of the people I heard this from
>have been singing the praises of caseless ammunition (used by the Colt version)
>while others have sung the praises of flechette rounds (used by the Steyr entry). Can anyone clear up what advantages each has and possibly which ones is likelyto be chosen (if it's classified I don't want to know)?
>

>From what I've read in the past, it would seem to me that flechette rounds
are a more robust and effective form of ammunition.  Of course, this is
dependent on what mission you hope to fulfill.  Flechette rounds are spec-
ifically anti-personnel in nature, and would have little or no effectiveness
against vehicular targets (or targets with adequate cover).  Caseless ammunitionderives its utility from extremely high cyclic rates of fire (due to the
lack of an ejection mechanism); the bullet itself is attached to a block
of solid propellant.  Of course, this runs the risk of unintentional detonation
(which I recall was one of the biggest problems facing the designers of the
H&K G111 Caseless Assault Rifle a few years back....  Don't know quite how
they resolved it) so you'd best stay away from open flames and sources of
intense heat....

Given the wide variety of antivehicular munitions, and means of contending
with targets behind cover, I think the Steyr entry has the best chance of
winning the contract.  Of course, this is sheer speculation on my part.  I
am in no way affiliated with either Steyr, Colt, or and policy-making apparati
of the U.S. Government or Dept. of Defense.... <whew!>

-shane