[sci.military] women maintain helicopters better!

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
A long article on helicopter combat performance in the 28 Jan issue of
Aviation Week makes one surprising observation:  helicopters with female
maintenance crew chiefs consistently have better Gulf combat readiness than
ones with male crew chiefs!  Nobody is quite sure why.  Constant intensive
cleaning work has proved necessary to keep filters and air passages free
of fine sand, so "maybe women are just more attuned to cleanliness".  The
other obvious possibility is that want to prove they can do the job and
hence are trying harder.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (03/14/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
> A long article on helicopter combat performance in the 28 Jan issue of
> Aviation Week makes one surprising observation:  helicopters with female
> maintenance crew chiefs consistently have better Gulf combat readiness than
> ones with male crew chiefs!  Nobody is quite sure why.  Constant intensive
> cleaning work has proved necessary to keep filters and air passages free
> of fine sand, so "maybe women are just more attuned to cleanliness".  The
> other obvious possibility is that want to prove they can do the job and
> hence are trying harder.

  (This thread could get out of hand - but I'll give a quick answer)

  My experience, commanding units with women soldiers, is that, simply, the
  women pay more attention to detail.   My armorer (female sergeant) kept
  her arms room and weapons in better condition then the previous armorer
  (male corporal) - attention to detail.  (one example)

  mts