[sci.military] using AFMs to exginguish oil fires

steve@uunet.UU.NET (stephen Samuel) (03/01/91)

From: obed!steve@uunet.UU.NET (stephen Samuel)
Has any work been done on the concept of using AFM minitions to
fight oil fires via oxygen starvation?  Could it be done with only one
bomb or would something like a 3-bomb combo be necessary?  How at risk
would pilots be in trying to deliver these things?
--
Stephen samuel !alberta!obed!steve    steve@obed.biochem.ualberta.ca
Don't be nice -- be compassionate. Compassion is what nice tries to emulate.

PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (03/06/91)

From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
I saw an article in the NY Times about extinguishing oil fires, and I came
up with the same question.  I think the problem is that FAM's, while maybe
putting the fire out, may not prevent a re-ignition of the fire, and would
not work at all if the fire had spread to the reserve of the well itself.
Plus is would be dangerous for the personnel hwo would have to be nearby
to cap the wells.

I certainly hope they can cap those wells soon, but this may not be the way
to do it.
---
L. GORDON PAISLEY, PAISLEY@AUVM.AUVM.EDU
THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
WASHINGTON, DC USA

gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) (03/08/91)

From: ke4zv!gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman)

In article <1991Mar1.052316.28686@cbnews.att.com> obed!steve@uunet.UU.NET (stephen Samuel) writes:

>Has any work been done on the concept of using AFM minitions to
>fight oil fires via oxygen starvation?

The problem with blowing out oil well fires is that the fire has heated
up the metallic junk surrounding the wellhead to incandesance. The fire
will immediately relight as soon as air whooshes back in following the
snuffing explosion. You must first remove as much of the junk as possible
and cool the rest with lots of water. Then you can blow out the candle.

Gary

rog@zombie.dtc.hp.com (Roger Haaheim) (03/13/91)

From: rog@zombie.dtc.hp.com (Roger Haaheim)

Just heard an interesting session on NPR.  One of Red Adair's
firefighters was on talking about the problems of putting out
oil fires.  He said putting out the fire is the easy part;
takes about $200 worth of dynamite set off within a foot or
to of a critical location in the gusher.  The big problem is
the quantity of oil they have to deal with between putting out
the fire and capping off (shutting off) the flow of oil.  He
said the most dangerous thing about oil fires is working in the
lake of oil that forms after the fire is out.

He also said that once they get the fire out and look at the
capping job, they sometimes have to reignite the fire while they
make the equipment necessary to cap the well.

If all the fires were put out immediately, it would still take
them almost as long to get all the wells capped, and the
resulting environmental damage from all the oil on the ground
would be disastrous.

Fascinating interview.

johnson@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Don Johnson) (03/13/91)

From: Don Johnson <johnson@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil>

In article <1991Mar6.035440.21656@cbnews.att.com> PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu writes:

>From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
>I saw an article in the NY Times about extinguishing oil fires, and I came
>up with the same question.  I think the problem is that FAM's, while maybe
>putting the fire out, may not prevent a re-ignition of the fire, and would
>not work at all if the fire had spread to the reserve of the well itself.
>Plus is would be dangerous for the personnel hwo would have to be nearby
>to cap the wells.

I beleive that the FAM would certainly "suck up" enough oxygen to snuff out
an oil well fire, if it were able to function as designed. But I don't
think it can. Think about it. A FAM is designed to burst at some X
feet/meters above ground level, dispersing the mixture in a cloud.  After
some delay to allow for 'optimum' dispersal an ignition source goes off and
detonates the cloud.

Now imagine dropping this thing on an oil well fire that is burning at
thousands of degrees Fahrenheit. Will the fuel dissipate? Will an 'optimum'
cloud be formed?  I don't think so.

My guess is the effect will be similar to pouring gasoline on a campfire.

scott@swindle.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (03/13/91)

From: scott@swindle.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey)
ke4zv!gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) writes:
|> The problem with blowing out oil well fires is that the fire has heated
|> up the metallic junk surrounding the wellhead to incandesance. The fire
|> will immediately relight as soon as air whooshes back in following the
|> snuffing explosion. You must first remove as much of the junk as possible
|> and cool the rest with lots of water. Then you can blow out the candle.

Also, I imagine it would be difficult preventing the FAE cloud from being
  prematurely ignited from the already existing hydrocarbon fire!

Suppose you could have about 4 C130's drop several FAE`s at four equidistant
  points surrounding the fire, but that seems like too much trouble to me.

| Scott Silvey           |                                                    |
| scott@xcf.berkeley.edu |        "If u cn rd ths, thn icn sk bng iznw"       |
|                        |                                                    |
| Flames to /dev/null    |                                                    |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

m1phm02@uunet.UU.NET (Patrick H. McAllister) (03/13/91)

From: fed!m1phm02@uunet.UU.NET (Patrick H. McAllister)

I minute of thought will suffice to show that FAMs would be useless for
extinguishing oil well fires. A FAM works by carefully distributing a
flamable substance in the air and then, when it has reached the optimal
distribution, igniting the mixture. As a side effect, most of the oxygen
in the air is burned away, until normal air circulation replaces it, and
the folks here seem to think that that effect would extinguish an
existing fire at that location. Unfortunately, the effect of the existing
fire would be to ignite the fuel from the bomb as quickly as it was
release, preventing the bomb from achieving the near-instantaneous
combustion that would be needed in order to deplete all the oxygen.
Furthermore, these fires are BIG and must be generating an enormous
convective flow of air in order to keep themselve fed in the first place,
so the depleting-the-oxygen effect would be moot. All you would achieve
is making the fire burn a little better for a minute. The point of using
an explosive like dynamite to put out the fires is not that it uses up
oxygen from the atmosphere -- the oxidizer is part of the dynamite, it
would explode just as effectively in a vacuum -- but rather, that the
shock wave and the combustion products from the explosion displace all
the air for a brief while, leaving the fire with nothing to breathe.

Pat

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (03/14/91)

From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
>The problem with blowing out oil well fires is that the fire has heated
>up the metallic junk surrounding the wellhead to incandesance. The fire
>will immediately relight as soon as air whooshes back in following the
>snuffing explosion. You must first remove as much of the junk as possible
>and cool the rest with lots of water. Then you can blow out the candle.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the Arabian oilfields are different than
most American ones. The oil is not pumped out; it comes out under the
pressure of natural gas in the limestone formations.  Flow rates, I
believe, are on the order of 1000 gallons/minute.

I don't know whether there is any possibility of destroying the wells
underground effectively, i.e., stopping this fuel flow before it gets
to the aforementioned hot metal.

Given that there are three small companies in the well-fire control business
that I know of, and that the Kuwaiti problem is two orders of magnitude worse
than anything previously fought, one would imagine that plenty of ideas are
being brainstormed, some involving military ordnance. To search for a small
silver lining in that big black cloud, this is the best-ever "field lab" for
innovative well control methods.

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"