[sci.military] Tank busting munition.

John Ramsden (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com) (03/13/91)

From:     John Ramsden (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com)

Seeing recent footage of the use and effects of cluster  bombs  I  was
reminded  of  something vaguely similar shown a couple of years ago on
TV in the UK.

It was a device which descended by parachute over an  area  supposedly
containing  tanks,  and  as  it  approached  the ground it would start
drifting sideways and precessing at the same  time,  like  a  gyrating
sycamore  seed. This motion maximized the coverage of a camera or some
sort of ground-scanning detector on the underside of the device.

As soon as the characteristic shape of  a  tank  hove  into  view  the
device  would launch a missile of some description aimed at the turret
which, according to the documentary, was a weak spot.

Anyway, I was wondering what this contraption was called,  whether  it
was still (if ever) in use, and whether it was used in the Gulf.

John R Ramsden             |
  (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com) |   "... and let that be a lesson to you !"
Prime Computer Inc.        |             Saddam Hussein (victory speech)
Framingham, Mass.          |

P.S. If possible could respondents copy me [as well as posting] since
our notesfeed can sometimes be a bit shaky.

rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) (03/14/91)

From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)

In article <1991Mar12.224821.25366@cbnews.att.com> John Ramsden (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com) writes:
+
+It was a device which descended by parachute over an  area  supposedly
+containing  tanks,  and  as  it  approached  the ground it would start
+drifting sideways and precessing at the same  time,  like  a  gyrating
+sycamore  seed. This motion maximized the coverage of a camera or some
+sort of ground-scanning detector on the underside of the device.
+
+As soon as the characteristic shape of  a  tank  hove  into  view  the
+device  would launch a missile of some description aimed at the turret
+which, according to the documentary, was a weak spot.

    I don't know about this, but I've heard of a mine which could detect
    whether the target passingby was a truck, person, or tank, and launch
    an appropriate munition.
--
    Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

    "The intelligent man is one who has successfully fulfilled many
     accomplishments, and is yet willing to learn more." - Ed Parker

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (03/15/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In <1991Mar12.224821.25366@cbnews.att.com> John Ramsden (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com) writes:
>It was a device which descended by parachute over an  area  supposedly
>containing  tanks,  and  as  it  approached  the ground it would start
>drifting sideways and precessing at the same  time,  like  a  gyrating
>sycamore  seed. This motion maximized the coverage of a camera or some
>sort of ground-scanning detector on the underside of the device.

>From my source book of choice - Ian Hogg's Encyclopedia of
Ammunition.

This is a SADARM - Search And Destroy Armor weapon. A US
remotely delivered munition (RDM) designed to destroy tanks at
long range. Three can be fitted into a 203mm or 155mm carrier
shell and are base ejected in the vicinity of the target, at
which point they hang from a parachute at 30 deg to the
vertical. As they descend they spin at about 4rps and a
millimetric wave sensor scans the ground for the signature of
a tank, which is hardwired into the munition. If it finds one,
it fires a self forming fragment at the target (see below).
The clever bit is, if it doesn't find a target, it will fall
to the ground and become a shaped charge mine. If I were a
tanker, I wouldn't like to follow an enemy through a region
where these had been used.

A Self Forming Fragment (SFF) is a development of the Schardin
effect. A flat cone shaped charge with a very heavy plate
liner rather than the thin liner of most shaped charges.
On detonation, the liner is not vaporized into a jet, but
converted to a slug-shaped missile which is projected at about
1200 m/s as a kinetic energy projectile. As these are used at
usually around 50m, velocity loss is minimal. Penetration is
good, but not as good as a well designed APDS round.

A bit more on millimetric wave sensing - A form of passive
millimetric wave radar, based on the fact that high frequency
radar approaches the infra red and takes on some of the
characteristics of optical frequencies. At these frequencies,
gound object emit radiation which is largely due to their
reflectance of the colour temperature of the sky. The earth is
fairly uniform, but tanks stand out quite nicely thank you.

thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz
 the timetable"    - Alderman Cholerton, on why|UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!thos
 the council's buses didn't stop for passengers|Internet:    thos@softway.oz.au

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (03/15/91)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
> From:     John Ramsden (jramsden@enh.Prime.Com)
>
> It was a device which descended by parachute over an  area  supposedly
> containing  tanks,  and  as  it  approached  the ground it would start
> drifting sideways and precessing at the same  time,  like  a  gyrating
> sycamore  seed. This motion maximized the coverage of a camera or some
> sort of ground-scanning detector on the underside of the device.

I believe this is a submunition weapon called "Skeet"; a joint development
of British and (West) Germany as part of the "deep strike" NATO strategy.
I have seen film recently on A&E network and on Discovery's Firepower
series.

I saw one reference to this weapon in press reports from the Gulf war,
but no video, and no details of how it performed, if in fact it was
used.

The sensor on the Skeet was IR.  Useful against tanks on the move, in
the open or in wooded areas.  Not much use against tanks dug in (not
hot), al-la Iraq.

Nifty idea, though.  Very British.